New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tommy

Re: New Kodak Super 8 Camera Preview

Post by Tommy »

The film cost will have to come down to make Super 8 viable again. Perhaps, a Chinese manufacturing plant that can produce film for $15. at retail. I don't think Super 8 can be mainstream again until we can get film/with processing at $25. a cartridge. This is what Kodak has to achieve to make Super 8 a popular alternative to video.
It may not be possible now, but I believe it will be in the near future.
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Some years ago 100d cost about 24 euro with processing at super8 nl. I don't think any one could offer the same deal in the future. Let's see what price ferrania can offer. I guess their film will be on market in about one year... well, we shouldn't count in Chinese company. There was only one Chinese color reversal (E6)had been manufactured in China, The feedback of this film was not good, due to the quality control, and they had closed the produce line more than 20 years.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

What about the elusive North Korean stock? :)

or did that wind up being Chinese after all?
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

North Korea -- a country who has hydrogen bomb... Technically, It must be possible to produce film there.
if
1)there is some Billionaire would found a factory there
2) the economic sanctions is lifted.

but , in fact, my best wish is
1) kodak could reproduce their color reversals,
2) their purpose to release new camera is not just in order to clean out their backlog of inventory.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I believe film cost will come down drastically, in the future...due to new techniques in manufacturing being spurred by 3-d printing and 3-d bio-printing ( which could be adapted to film emulsions and make possible the return of Kodachrome). I will predict that in 10 years, super 8 will become strong niche format for the most skilled low budget filmmakers.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Tommy wrote:I believe film cost will come down drastically, in the future...due to new techniques in manufacturing being spurred by 3-d printing and 3-d bio-printing ( which could be adapted to film emulsions and make possible the return of Kodachrome).
Yeah...no.

Kodachrome will never return unless vast investment in the specialized and toxic chemicals for processing is made. The last motion picture processing lab in Dallas shut down recently and one of their issues was the crazy government regulations and expenses involved with operating it and that was just for regular negative stock...relatively easy to do compared to Kodachrome. Dwayne's would love to process it again but I think all their equipment is long gone so the investment would never make sense in starting up again.

Costs were barely affordable in motion picture film for most people when they were making miles and miles of film in the 70's & 80's; it will NEVER come back to 10% of that volume so the costs will certainly be much higher. Plus, film and processing are only half of the equation, transfer is what kills you in costs if you don't do it yourself.

I think maybe you're right that different emulsions could be possible in small batches with newer tech from Kodak, but it certainly won't be cheap. And it won't be Kodachrome; just different versions of Vision Stocks and EXR, maybe some B&W stocks. Reversal might be tough for them but I'm sure everything is waiting on how the new system will be received. I might be wrong but I think the last reversal stocks (64D and 100D) came from the still film consumer side which they've sold/split off from so their could be licensing issues for the formulas.

3-d printing will make no difference at all to Super 8 (with the possibly exception of replacing broken plastic parts in cameras.)
I will predict that in 10 years, super 8 will become strong niche format for the most skilled low budget filmmakers.
It kinda is now, so hopefully it will stick around and grow a little next year.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

K40's demise was indeed the toxic process. I think the E6 Ektachromes and especially the Velvia looked just as good, better than K40. Ferrania is hell bent on delivering an E6 color, so if it's in the ballpark with Velvia or E100D i'd be happy with it. They also plan on stream lining their emulsions and creating more. I'm banking that Ferrania will eventually have a decent 100ASA daylight, 200ASA tungston reversal films. Maybe even a 50D color and B&W. So i'd be looking to them for reversal film, and let Kodak supply the cameras and Vision films.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
kontrabass888

Post by kontrabass888 »

Tscan wrote:K40's demise was indeed the toxic process. I think the E6 Ektachromes and especially the Velvia looked just as good, better than K40. Ferrania is hell bent on delivering an E6 color, so if it's in the ballpark with Velvia or E100D i'd be happy with it. They also plan on stream lining their emulsions and creating more. I'm banking that Ferrania will eventually have a decent 100ASA daylight, 200ASA tungston reversal films. Maybe even a 50D color and B&W. So i'd be looking to them for reversal film, and let Kodak supply the cameras and Vision films.
for super 8 formate,I wish ferrania could produce 25D/40T 100D/160T. because this is most super 8 camera designed for. I remember about 10 years ago, there were many topics talked about the compatibility of camera light meter and modification of the asa indication of cartridges .
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Tscan wrote:I think the E6 Ektachromes and especially the Velvia looked just as good, better than K40.
Blasphemy!!!! :)

I especially loved Velvia 50 for still cameras. Still do. Spectra's Super 8 version didn't live up to my expectations, but it may have been because of poor exposure on my part or something.

What I liked about K40 was that it looked better than real life sometimes. Not accurate, better. That pastel look was just gorgeous while E6 films can have vibrant colors, but they were really accurate too...not the "technicolor" or almost painted look of Kodachrome.

Here are some stills that kinda have that pastel look, especially in the skin tones on the 2nd one:

Will2

Post by Will2 »

Looking over the specs on Kodak's new camera, I'm a little surprised they didn't offer a speed past 25 fps. Real slow motion has always been a great option, even if they just bring it to 36 or 48 frames a second (non-crystal is fine for that). I can't believe it would be technically difficult with modern motors...
jzagaja

Post by jzagaja »

So Kodak offers just developing and transfer? What about optical copy for projecting on screen? This would be a real advantage of 50D film.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

jzagaja wrote:So Kodak offers just developing and transfer? What about optical copy for projecting on screen? This would be a real advantage of 50D film.
Baby steps. Kodak knows the real growth will be in people editing on their computer and posting it on YouTube. The real advantage of 50D is the small grain when you transfer it...Vision 3 50D can look really close to an older 16mm stock if shot well.
silverhalide

Post by silverhalide »

Will2 wrote:What I liked about K40 was that it looked better than real life sometimes. Not accurate, better. That pastel look was just gorgeous while E6 films can have vibrant colors, but they were really accurate too...not the "technicolor" or almost painted look of Kodachrome.
That is the *essence* of Kodachrome...it's not reality, it's better. Makes it seem like all the world's a sunny day... Reality sucks.
john59

Post by john59 »

THE NEW KODAK SUPER-8 CAMERA HAS PRICE IN SPAIN: 359 €

Or £281...............or $400 USA approx.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

john59 wrote:THE NEW KODAK SUPER-8 CAMERA HAS PRICE IN SPAIN: 359 €

Or £281...............or $400 USA approx.
Is that for the little one? That would be consistent with the price point I heard, except I also heard that the larger pro-ish model would be out first for about $750. The little one will come out later.
Reborn member since Sept 2003