Does anyone use Lomo tanks to maintain finished films?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

slashmaster

Does anyone use Lomo tanks to maintain finished films?

Post by slashmaster »

Was wondering if people ever use Lomo tanks to maintain a finished film? Like washing it or lubing it? I guess if you were to put Vitafilm in it, it would eat the plastic spiral so can't do that can I?
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Re: Does anyone use Lomo tanks to maintain finished films?

Post by James E »

Yes, I've used my lOMO for particularly nasty films that are either dirty or suffering from VS and need soaking.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

James E wrote:Yes, I've used my lOMO for particularly nasty films that are either dirty or suffering from VS and need soaking.
Nice.. What chemicals did you use?
BAC

Post by BAC »

I use FilmRenew, you can soak a film in it for a few days without damaging the film. If I need to soak a shrunken dried out film I give it a good wet cleaning onto a metal reel. Then I set it in the deep part of the film can on a flat surface and fill the can with FilmRenew. Cover and let it soak for a day or two then run it through the rewinds again onto another metal reel wiping the excess off. Let it dry for another day. Don't do this indoors, FilmRenew evaporates and you shouldn't be breathing the fumes. I only do this if the film really needs it, otherwise a good cleaning/lube is sufficient.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:I use FilmRenew, you can soak a film in it for a few days without damaging the film. If I need to soak a shrunken dried out film I give it a good wet cleaning onto a metal reel. Then I set it in the deep part of the film can on a flat surface and fill the can with FilmRenew. Cover and let it soak for a day or two then run it through the rewinds again onto another metal reel wiping the excess off. Let it dry for another day. Don't do this indoors, FilmRenew evaporates and you shouldn't be breathing the fumes. I only do this if the film really needs it, otherwise a good cleaning/lube is sufficient.
Thanks BAC! Do any of your projectors have rubber tires? If so, does your freshly renewed film turn them to goo? I've got an Elmo-cl which had really sticky soft tires when I got it. Chunks of rubber would come off on the film. I've got a good set now but am wondering what made the ones it had gooey like that?
BAC

Post by BAC »

Just make sure you dry the film for 24 hours before putting it on plastic reels or running it through a projector. I have never had any damage to my projectors using FilmRenew. Its the solvent that evaporates that can damage stuff. Rubber often degrades like that, especially if it's not stored in ideal conditions like a hot attic or garage. I've only had that problem with old rubber belts on projectors. They do get exposed to more heat being inside the projector. I use a rubber conditioner on old rubber rollers on projectors and record turntables to keep the rubber in good shape. I forget the brand but it's sold for conditioning the rubber rollers on copy machines.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:Just make sure you dry the film for 24 hours before putting it on plastic reels or running it through a projector. I have never had any damage to my projectors using FilmRenew. Its the solvent that evaporates that can damage stuff. Rubber often degrades like that, especially if it's not stored in ideal conditions like a hot attic or garage. I've only had that problem with old rubber belts on projectors. They do get exposed to more heat being inside the projector. I use a rubber conditioner on old rubber rollers on projectors and record turntables to keep the rubber in good shape. I forget the brand but it's sold for conditioning the rubber rollers on copy machines.
Yeah, I think I've used some kind of rubber conditioner from some auto store before. Are you sure your FilmRenew didn't warp your spiral on your Lomo tank at all? I'm trying to figure out what left what looks like water spots on a black and white silent film I have. The film has sections with text on a black background and that's when the water spots are most annoying. I've run it through my filmcleaner with vitafilm several times without reducing it at all. Maybe I need to use another film cleaner.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I use a metal film can, not a Lomo tank. You will likely damage the Lomo tank with FilmRenew. I put a generous amount of FilmRenew on the film with a cotton cloth as I'm winding it onto a metal reel I then put it in a metal film tin and fill it with FilmRenew to soak for a day or two. Make sure there are no plastic parts on the metal reel. I don't think there is really a need to use a Lomo tank. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that before.
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

BAC wrote:I use a metal film can, not a Lomo tank. You will likely damage the Lomo tank with FilmRenew. I put a generous amount of FilmRenew on the film with a cotton cloth as I'm winding it onto a metal reel I then put it in a metal film tin and fill it with FilmRenew to soak for a day or two. Make sure there are no plastic parts on the metal reel. I don't think there is really a need to use a Lomo tank. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that before.
Oh alight. That clears things up. By the way, have you ever used filmrenew on ektachrome? I've tried my vitafilm on plenty of kodachrome, black and white, eastman prints and a few others which all came out great, but when I tried it on an ektachome 160 it turned to a purple tint.
BAC

Post by BAC »

I have used FilmRenew on Ektachrome 100D with no problems but if you're unsure do a test on a small piece. Mostly I use it on old Kodachrome and black and white films but I have used it to clean the dust on Ektachrome after doing a lot of splicing. I buy my FilmRenew from Urbanski film and they have a good write up linked below.

http://moviecraft.tripod.com/filmclean.html