Have you been to the pictures lately?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

wahiba

Have you been to the pictures lately?

Post by wahiba »

Instead of subscribing to one of the one line services we, SWMBO and I, have started going to the cinema again on a regular basis. Daytime senior rates make it worth it.

OK, it is not all film. Intersellar was though, you could see the odd hair in the gate!!!! Projection of digital is I understand 2K - so what is the point of 4K?

Interesting experience. We watched Paddington in a 104 seat theatre. there were 102 empty seats. Not so last night for 2001, that was quite full and I suspect most there had not been born when it was first shown. I must confess to having seen it the first time around. Still have not worked out the ending though.

It really is different watching on the big screen. Something I had forgotten after years of watching the box, no longer a box I know but have yet to learn of a similar term for modern flat screen TVs.

Sorting through the loft so next it will be the old home movies.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
slashmaster

Re: Have you been to the pictures lately?

Post by slashmaster »

Yeah, if it's 2k it's only 80 lines wider than the 1920 by 1080 you would get at home on your hdtv. No wonder the theater was empty. I still have yet to go to a digital theater myself but I'll bet it sucks!
grainy

Post by grainy »

Digital projection is a mixed bag, IMHO.

Comparing the ideal to the ideal, 35mm projected prints are better in all respects.
But I'll never forget dragging some friends to see Herzog's Nosferatu and the print was so ragged that it disrupted the ambience of the film thereby ruining it for them.

I love projecting super 8 movies of my children on the wall at home; it's magical and leagues better than watching some clip on the fool computer.
But as a filmmaker, my super 8 short had a nice festival run that NEVER would have happened without digital projection (and editing)
And after making a 16mm print with optical sound of my first feature film years ago, I swore I'd never do it again unless someone else paid for it -- the cost for a real independent filmmaker was totally prohibitive. I think that digital projection actually helps keep film alive in these respects. (though it's insuperable from the whole digital movie idea, so I suppose that point is not relevant)

Happy new year!
G
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

I will see the Imitation Game at the movies tonight. Here they have 4K projectors in the bigger halls and 2K in the smaller I think. Been about a year and a half since I projected my super8 films. Need to fix the projector.

(my daughter wanted to pick emoticons, hehe: :ymparty: =)) (-| :ymblushing: :x )
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Wahiba,

I can second your comment about audience figures for 2001, silly me missed the 70mm run of 2001 at the BFI Imax Waterloo here in London and I'm not really interested in seeing the 4k version. However, when trying to book a ticket on the BFI website for 2001 it was very hard to get a seat for either the 70mm or 4k sessions up to a week ahead.

I managed to see the 70mm print of Interstellar at the Imax, Waterloo and it was interesting that, as well as being sold out, the film's projection as 70mm was treated as an event by the theatre management with an introduction to that effect.
DonFito

Post by DonFito »

Saw Interstellar, 70mm print, at the local Imax Dome. A really impressive visual experience.
Cheers,

Rafael Rivera
www.donfito.com
Angus

Post by Angus »

I missed 2001 which is a little annoying as I just learned that I went to school with the offspring of two people who worked on the special effects in that film...

2K cinema projection as offered by my local Cineworld is barely better than HD TV. To be honest I'd don't rate the experience at all. However 4K offered down the road at a Vue cinema is better. It's not film of course but it's much better than 1080 television. If they must project digitally then 4K is acceptable as the minimum quality. When they use film it's instantly obvious, the contrast is far better.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

unfortunately I'm most likely never going to attend to any cinema anymore.

main factor - digital projection combined with use of CG. just can't stand it.

as for the time being i enjoy my own genuine (any of them) home movies in 8mm more than any shitty digitised bit n bytes crap.

there was a cinema here (Oslo) which only showed old BW movies on 35mm and which i could bear attend to but it seems their copies are wearing out so even they go digital - it was my last hope - until things changes i go my own material - "Satisfaction" (aka Rolling Stones 1965)

real stuff - the original is less grainy but the site hosters always screw up the grain:
http://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/page:2/s ... rmat:video

adding; i don't even bother owning a proper tv these days - don't wanna pay for (reality) crap TV..

i hava (japaneses term) Panasonic projector in spare hand and may rig it for post Connory and pre Craig 007 DVDS along with selected old movies of decent quality....

well, anyway...

shoot.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
slashmaster

Post by slashmaster »

S8 Booster wrote:unfortunately I'm most likely never going to attend to any cinema anymore.

main factor - digital projection combined with use of CG. just can't stand it.

as for the time being i enjoy my own genuine (any of them) home movies in 8mm more than any shitty digitised bit n bytes crap.

there was a cinema here (Oslo) which only showed old BW movies on 35mm and which i could bear attend to but it seems their copies are wearing out so even they go digital - it was my last hope - until things changes i go my own material - "Satisfaction" (aka Rolling Stones 1965)

real stuff - the original is less grainy but the site hosters always screw up the grain:
http://vimeo.com/home/myvideos/page:2/s ... rmat:video

adding; i don't even bother owning a proper tv these days - don't wanna pay for (reality) crap TV..

i hava (japaneses term) Panasonic projector in spare hand and may rig it for post Connory and pre Craig 007 DVDS along with selected old movies of decent quality....

well, anyway...

shoot.....
Super 8 booster, that's the most MGTOW thing I've ever seen you say! I really like it! Keep being MGTOW!
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Saw the Hobbit in digital IMAX. All I could think about was how it could have looked so much better on film. Even if they shot it on film then projected it digitally; I'd settle for that. Just looked like a soap opera. Even my 10 year old said the same thing...the original Lord of the Rings movies looked better.

Saw Interstellar in 70mm and loved it. The sound was better in the 4k digital theatre but that was just because the speaker/audio setup was better there...nothing to do with film.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I have spent a great part of my life going to movies, starting in 1959 before I started kindergarten. I never understood why anyone would prefer watching TV to seeing a good film on the big screen. Now I know why. The experience is just not the same and often no better than what we get in our living room. Plus we don't have the talkers, the cell phone addicts, the chair kickers, the infants brought in instead of getting a baby sitter, and all the other generally rude jerks that somehow became the norm at every theater. I go down to the basement and thread up one of my projectors when I need to feed my film addiction. I don't care for digital projection at all. If the movie was shot on film I can tolerate it. Otherwise, no need to see it on the (now not-so-big) screen...

Interstellar was a great treat seeing it on 70mm IMAX film projection. There is really something about film projection for me that imprints on my mind as a real experience. I saw a digitally projected film afterwards and a few days later I couldn't even remember how the film ended. Bizarre.
doug

Post by doug »

Just seen Interstellar. I thought I had missed it like so many other movies, but they're having another run at BFI Imax in London. :ymparty: Must be popular.
The 70mm Imax was amazing. I was a little taken out of the story though when the 35mm footage was intercut. Though even that was very sharp on such a vast screen. I'm so glad I didn't wait to see it on the telly :ymsmug:
Doug
www.filmisfine.co
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

doug wrote:Just seen Interstellar. I thought I had missed it like so many other movies, but they're having another run at BFI Imax in London. :ymparty: Must be popular.
The 70mm Imax was amazing. :
You don't know if they are going to do another run of the 70mm print of 2001 at the BFI Imax do you? I missed that.
doug

Post by doug »

JeremyC wrote:
doug wrote:Just seen Interstellar. I thought I had missed it like so many other movies, but they're having another run at BFI Imax in London. :ymparty: Must be popular.
The 70mm Imax was amazing. :
You don't know if they are going to do another run of the 70mm print of 2001 at the BFI Imax do you? I missed that.
I also missed 2001 in 70mm recently. I don't know. These films are really worth making a journey to experience, something I haven't been doing lately. Comparing the two movies, I think 2001 was better in that Kubrick told the story with little dialogue. But Interstellar is surely something new and fresh and was perfect for Imax presentation. All should see it in 70mm Imax if possible I think.
Doug
www.filmisfine.co