8mm Sound conversion to DVD

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Jpietr999

8mm Sound conversion to DVD

Post by Jpietr999 »

I have super 8mm sound film that I have not played in many years. When I played it years ago the sound was correct. I brought it to a video transfer shop and some of the sound was correct but a good part of the sound was high pitched (like chipmunks). The person who did the transfer had no answer to why this could have happened. I do not have my original projector to replay the film on. Has anyone heard of this happening and would you know the reason for this. Does this sound like a flaw in my film or the equipment used to transferred it. Thank You
jpolzfuss

Re: 8mm Sound conversion to DVD

Post by jpolzfuss »

Super8-film is played back at 18 or 24fps- However DVDs don't support these frame-rates. E.g. when doing a PAL-transfer, then the film's speed is either slowed down from 18fps to 16.66fps or sped up from 24 to 25fps. Same applies to NTSC (with different frame-rates: 18fps gets sped up 19.980, while 24fps nearly stays the same (23.976fps) and then "3:2 pull down" is done). - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine#F ... ifferences
In any case this difference in speed might affect the "pitch" of the sound-track. Hence my guess is: There was a minor "glitch" when the sound was recorded on the super8-film. And that "glitch" got emphasised by the transfer.
This space was left intenionally blank.