Wolverine Super F2D 4-in-1 Film to Digital Converter

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

jpolzfuss

Wolverine Super F2D 4-in-1 Film to Digital Converter

Post by jpolzfuss »

Hi,

has anyone ever tried this device: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... _film.html
(Yes, according to the details on B&H's page, it can be used to scan Super8-film!?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1dY32gKkRE

Is it also available in the EU?

Jörg
This space was left intenionally blank.
sportique

Re: Wolverine Super F2D 4-in-1 Film to Digital Converter

Post by sportique »

got one on ebay for £60, not so great imho
the first six images are expired hand processed fuji r25n; on the left scanned to SD on a Flashscan and on the right scanned with the F2D (no color correction)

the bottom two images are 16mm fuji Eterna 500T, on the left scanned to 2K dpx 10bit log on a Spirit and on the right scanned with the F2D.

not a very scientific test but it shows what you get for your £60
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

That's really interesting. I notice it's on sale for for $80 at Costco in the USA. I had to use a lot of super 8 stills for an album cover project last year (macro lens DSLR photos of film on a light table) and something like this would have saved me a lot of agony. I wonder what the resolution of the super 8 frames would be with this thing? Also, I wonder if it might work as a sort of viewer/editor for Super 8 negative film? (I suspect It'd be too slow, but it'd nice if there was a way to cut out bad negative footage before sending it off for scanning).
I found an instruction manual, but it doesn't seem to answer my questions: http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp ... Manual&a=d
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Lots of funny stuff coming out these days. If it only had a feedermechanism, then it could fun to try.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
sportique

Post by sportique »

it outputs jpegs at 3000x2000 (annoyingly stretched to 16:9).
I strongly suspect it's windowing it's sensor to around 750x500 when scanning smaller formats and then enlarging the images to 3000x2000

there's no setting for super8 negative; but I guess there's nothing stopping you putting negative through using the 110 negative setting and cropping the images latter; I've done this with the above 16mm negative.

the biggest problem with it is the shear amount of noise coming off the sensor.
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

Thanks!
This space was left intenionally blank.
Pj

Post by Pj »

I have often thought about using a similar scanner, there are loads these small units about, I think they would be good for 16mm film. Building a film transport and feeder mechanism is simple and quite possible, not sure what the quality would be like.

Pav
mucio77

Post by mucio77 »

Nice scanner i like the change in images.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Pj wrote:I have often thought about using a similar scanner, there are loads these small units about, I think they would be good for 16mm film. Building a film transport and feeder mechanism is simple and quite possible, not sure what the quality would be like.

Pav
For $100 it's tempting to try with 16mm but based on the sample 16mm frame above, I get better results from my S8 scans. The quality is too low and it seems tedious. But I think it's cool that they thought to included S8 film.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Pj

Post by Pj »

I agree the 16mm frame in the sample looks bad, but ironically the Super 8 frames look more decent, I would have expected it to be the other way round.

Pav