Beaulieu 5008 S Grip

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sciolist

Beaulieu 5008 S Grip

Post by sciolist »

I've just acquired a Beaulieu 5008 S camera that's in running condition and cosmetically excellent, but its hand grip is very loose. The slotted screw exposed on the bottom of the grip after the removal of a decorative cover would seem to be what secures the grip to the camera body, but I'm unable to turn the screw clockwise or counterclockwise more than a few degrees. Any advice?
sciolist

Re: Beaulieu 5008 S Grip

Post by sciolist »

After loosening the screw with penetrating oil and extracting it, I found the bottom of the camera had been deformed at the screw hole, so that, although the screw was fully home, there remained a wide gap between the grip and the base of the camera. Using a soft-faced dead-blow hammer as carefully as possible, I restored the body to its correct shape and reattached the grip, which now fits snugly.
Mana

Post by Mana »

Had to do the same thing on a 4008ZMII that came from Germany. A little scary wackin' your camera with any kind of hammer! 8O
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Mana wrote:Had to do the same thing on a 4008ZMII that came from Germany. A little scary wackin' your camera with any kind of hammer! 8O
Yes, that was my sentiment. Still, it seemed like the method least likely to cause damage. In fact, it was so easy to do, it showed how thin those stampings for the Beaulieu body are.