New Retro 8 sample clip

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Tscan

New Retro 8 sample clip

Post by Tscan »

I thought i'd post another clip after i've gotten the hang of the unit and it's features a little more. This is some 100D S8 I scanned in yesterday. I used the scanner software for some initial color and gain adjustment. Then exported the capture as a native 720P image sequence. Imported to Sony Vegas NLE and made just a few minor adjustments, minus splicing and adding in the projector sound. Rendered to an internet friendly 720P MP4 file. My results are based on the way I like my 100D to look but there is a lot you can work with based on your own desires. Pretty close to the mark compared to the projected image and probably less contrasty than any results i've gotten from a pro telecine and reversal. I found an old roll of V2 200T negative that i experimented transferring yesterday as well. I'll be playing with neg more in the near future but I can say so far that i'm pretty excited with what you can do with it.
https://vimeo.com/70965504
Reborn member since Sept 2003
bottlegardener

Re: New Retro 8 sample clip

Post by bottlegardener »

Thanks so much for uploading that clip. I'm really intrigued by this machine.
I'd really like to know more about the negative transfer capabilities. It would be great if you could report your experiences with the 200T (ie how easy is it to get the exposure correct and how sensitive is it to dust).
BTW the Built to Spill footage on your vimeo page looks fantastic!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

bottlegardener wrote:Thanks so much for uploading that clip. I'm really intrigued by this machine.
I'd really like to know more about the negative transfer capabilities. It would be great if you could report your experiences with the 200T (ie how easy is it to get the exposure correct and how sensitive is it to dust).
BTW the Built to Spill footage on your vimeo page looks fantastic!
Thanks, the Built to Spill footage was shot on TriX and the old VNF 125 Ektachrome, a low con reversal so I tweaked the levels a bit to make it pop. The negative abilities probably are the best DIY method out there. The scanner inversion handles the orange mask to color correction is a breeze. My initial image was really low contrast... with my neg slightly overexposed i was able to increase the density by turning up the exposure knob, and then there is a gain adjustment. After the scan, i had no problem adding in all the contrast i wanted in my NLE. Dirt wasn't a big issue but there was some due to the storage of the reel. I have a batch off all three Vision3 stocks going out to the lab this week. I hope to post some good samples of that stuff soon.
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

Great to know. Can't wait to see the results of that negative footage. One other thing I was wondering, does it require total darkness to operate?
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

bottlegardener wrote:Great to know. Can't wait to see the results of that negative footage. One other thing I was wondering, does it require total darkness to operate?
No it doesn't. My setup is in my basement office so it's not that bright in there. there is one small window and have the lamps on with no problems. Based on how the setup works, I don't really see any amount of room light being a problem. It might even work fine in on a screen porch? but can't say for sure.
bottlegardener

Post by bottlegardener »

Thanks, that's good to know. The reason I was asking is because it'll probably remain out of my budget for quite some time, but I was hoping to convince my local film co-op to at least think about getting one. If it required a lot of space and was fussy about ambient light, it'd be a tough sell.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

bottlegardener wrote:Thanks, that's good to know. The reason I was asking is because it'll probably remain out of my budget for quite some time, but I was hoping to convince my local film co-op to at least think about getting one. If it required a lot of space and was fussy about ambient light, it'd be a tough sell.
Yeah, it doesn't require a lot of space at all. Mine sits on my desktop between the monitor and PC tower. I played with some more negative today and got excellent results. What i mean is the color saturation, density, and contrast i would ask from a pro telecine. Most DIY telecine of negative stocks i see are very washed out, muted colors ect... This was V2 200T, so i'm real excited about the V3 (including 50D) i sent out for processing yesterday. Without having to deal with inverting and correcting for the orange mask, you have a lot of tools to work your image (before and after) from a straight platform.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I don't have any samples ready yet but transferred some Vision 3 rolls last night that just came back. The inverted image comes out of the gate really nice, but unlike reversal you have miles of head room to work with. With all that latitude, contrast levels are what ever you want them to be with your NLE. You can also add density to over exposed neg by increasing the exposure on the unit. I worked with 50D, 200T, and 500T and they are all very nice stocks. The V3 200T looks so nice in daylight, it took me a bit to figure out if it was actually 50D or not. The 500T does some justice too in day lit interiors, existing light interiors and night shots. However they added a filter notch on the V3 version and I failed to disable it on a few shots out of habit, had some double filtering an unintended filtering here and there. This unit and the versatility of 50-500ASA wide latitude stocks take shooting S8 to a whole new level... you won't find another DIY method for negative film like this. As time allows, i hope to post a sample clip later this week.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Here's a new clip that shows the unit and software in operation.

http://vimeo.com/64685022

Roger
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

That was really cool Roger! :D
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

MovieStuff wrote:Here's a new clip that shows the unit and software in operation.

Roger
Nice- It is just that simple to setup and start using. Your main focus is on dialing in the image the way you like with the color controls, gain, framer, ect... also real user friendly. And does the "R" on that mug stand for Retro 8 or Roger?
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Tscan wrote:
MovieStuff wrote:Here's a new clip that shows the unit and software in operation.

Roger
Nice- It is just that simple to setup and start using. Your main focus is on dialing in the image the way you like with the color controls, gain, framer, ect... also real user friendly. And does the "R" on that mug stand for Retro 8 or Roger?
Actually, it stands for "Roger". It was a coffee cup my girlfriend gave me and the whole shoot was rather improvised and last minute. The girl in the video is named Hana and she's my girlfriend's youngest daughter, who was visiting for a week but was leaving the next morning. Very sweet and kind of shy but did a great job, I thought.

Roger
marc

Post by marc »

MovieStuff wrote: Actually, it stands for "Roger". It was a coffee cup my girlfriend gave me and the whole shoot was rather improvised and last minute. The girl in the video is named Hana and she's my girlfriend's youngest daughter, who was visiting for a week but was leaving the next morning. Very sweet and kind of shy but did a great job, I thought.

Roger
Um.....Your girlfriend???? 8O
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

marc wrote: Um.....Your girlfriend???? 8O
Yes. My wife and I divorced a couple of years ago. We are still great friends and have a wonderful 15 year old daughter that we share.

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I think I saw my mother in one of those clips from the 60's.

What a good way to show how to use the machine. I notice your font choices in the software Roger...you have your fingers in everything.

I'm also taken by the machined parts and how solid they look, must have been fun to design it yourself from the ground up rather than relying on older projectors. Congrats on a great job.