Magazine Cameras

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

reluctantfilmmaker

Magazine Cameras

Post by reluctantfilmmaker »

Hi all. Searched the posts and didn't find this topic, so here goes. I got an 8mm Bell & Howell magazine camera for x-mas, research found it is from the early 50's. My question is, that if I buy one of the many Kodachrome loaded metal film magazines on e-bay, has anyone ever tried to load it with the new 100d stock? How easy is it to get the magazine open and how does one correct any possible light leaks that could happen if we were tampering with it? Just to clarify, this is double 8mm, not super 8 with the plastic mags. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
richard p. t.

Re: Magazine Cameras

Post by richard p. t. »

HI Reluctant,
can you tell us what model number the camera is? I am sure we will be able to help you.
cheers,
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
marc

Post by marc »

You might fair much better with the 8mm version since you can find magazines out there and R8mm is still made. The 8mm magazines are easy to load by comparison to the 16mm version. I Had a nice 16mm version that I absolutely loved but as double perf got harder to come by and the magazines were a chore to load, I decided to get rid of it. I did however shoot 400 ft of beautiful K25 with this camera. I was going to attempt a modification of the magazine to single perf film, but determined it to be too much of a hassel. Some things in life just don't seem fair but that is just the way it goes! :(
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Its not that complicated to load a 8mm magazine camera with film. I think it goes to b wind. The film path is similar to how a double 8mm camera normally loads. Just use a darkroom.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

camera8mm wrote:Its not that complicated to load a 8mm magazine camera with film. I think it goes to b wind. The film path is similar to how a double 8mm camera normally loads. Just use a darkroom.
Do they use some sort of core system or just the little 25 foot daylight spools like Double 8mm?
marc

Post by marc »

The magazines use a core which is loaded on a metal shaft inside the magazine.
Dr. Rima Laibow Warns Globalists Preparing New Bio Attack / Learn the Secret History of COVID
https://banned.video/watch?id=64405470faba4278d462a791
Still want to call me a Nutter?!!!!
reluctantfilmmaker

Post by reluctantfilmmaker »

richard p. t. wrote:HI Reluctant,
can you tell us what model number the camera is? I am sure we will be able to help you.
cheers,
richard
It is a Bell & Howell 172 Mag camera. Hope that helps, thanks for the help!