Do I need a macro Super 8?

Technical talk about 8mm, Super8, 9.5mm, 16mm and 35mm ++ motion picture cameras.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

steves4580

Do I need a macro Super 8?

Post by steves4580 »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to Super 8 filming so I hope none of this is too obvious. I recently was luck enough to acquire a Canon 814 Auto Zoom (not the XL or Electronic versions) and a Nizo S480. I mainly want to do stop-frame abstract animation (i.e. liquid diffusion, paint, and light fx such as slit-scanning etc.), although I also do some outside filming as well. The general advice seems to be that you need to have a camera with 'macro' to do animation. Neither of my cameras has a macro function although both, the Canon in particular, seem to focus pretty well on small close-ups (i.e. I can clearly focus on a pc keyboard key from about an inch away). The Canon has 'microprism' but I understand that is not the same as 'macro'. Can anyone tell me how much more macro a macro camera can go, and what are the benefits of this for animation?

I guess I'm trying to find out whether I would be best selling on one, or both, cameras and getting something specifically for animation. Any help would be much appreciated.
Charlie Blackfield

Re: Do I need a macro Super 8?

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

(i.e. I can clearly focus on a pc keyboard key from about an inch away)
I would have thought that this is the macro setting you're using, although it may be called something different. Happy for anyone to correct me.

Personally I've got a Canon AutoZoom 814E that I've been using fairly regularly over the past seven years. Very robust motor, good for single frame shooting. I think the old AutoZoom 814 (without the ''E') is even sturdier. Strikes me as a very good choice for animation.

Charlie
steves4580

Post by steves4580 »

Thanks for the reply Charlie.
I've picked up a second hand Hoya close-up lens for the Canon which does the job very nicely, when I need to get really close-up. Going to experiment with both cameras and see which I get on with best.
Shooting with Super 8 is an expensive business but the results are worth it in my opinion. My plan is to 'rehearse' the animation sequences by taking photos on my Panasonic digital camera, and then try them out in Photoshop, before recording them with the Canon 814.
john59

Post by john59 »

in my limited experience of animation, as long as the camera is over 18 inches away from the subject then there is no need for macro.
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

john59 wrote:in my limited experience of animation, as long as the camera is over 18 inches away from the subject then there is no need for macro.
It depends on the camera. My Canon AutoZoom 814E wouldn't be able to focus on anything closer than 6 feet or thereabout, unless it's used in macro mode. There are, however, other Super 8 cameras that can do much better, especially late 1960s/early 1970s Bolex models.

Charlie