Ektachrome stopping at 48 feet or so

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

grainy

Ektachrome stopping at 48 feet or so

Post by grainy »

Hi folks -- I shot a reel of d100 over the weekend and it sounded like the motor was slowing down toward the end of the reel. In fact, it stopped before it should've stopped.
However, when I removed the film ("exposed" was not exposed) and put it back again, the motor fired right up to expose another foot or so then stop again. At that point, the hole punch was visible in the cartridge (I didn't know this existed) so I assumed it was very very close to the end of the reel.
The same thing happened last time I shot d100, same camera. I assumed the batteries were running low, but maybe it's the camera or maybe... maybe it's the d100?
I had brand new batteries in this time just to make sure, got the same effect.
I banged it good on a flat surface before shooting this time.
Any thoughts?
thanks!
G
beamascope

Re: Ektachrome stopping at 48 feet or so

Post by beamascope »

This seems to happen more and more and I would think the easiest answer is it's the camera. It's been 25+ years since any new cameras have been made so I would guess it's a camera issue. Old grease gets gummy, motors get hot and so on. I'm sure somebody knows just what causes it.
Shanec8mm

Post by Shanec8mm »

I've had this problem occur several times with my Minolta D6. I believe the issue is 2 things. As stated above older cameras are not quite up to spec anymore, and also Ektachrome 100D seems to be a thicker film. I just bought a roll of 100D and before loading the film I may try spraying some silicone around the film gate area, carefully of course. Also I may try applying some silicone behind the film were the plastic pressure plate is. Give the cart a few bangs, load the film, and see what happens.
grainy

Post by grainy »

Aw man... I love that camera too... Thanks for the info guys.
Shane, let me know if your silicone treatment works
G
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

Shanec8mm wrote:I've had this problem occur several times with my Minolta D6. I believe the issue is 2 things. As stated above older cameras are not quite up to spec anymore, and also Ektachrome 100D seems to be a thicker film. I just bought a roll of 100D and before loading the film I may try spraying some silicone around the film gate area, carefully of course. Also I may try applying some silicone behind the film were the plastic pressure plate is. Give the cart a few bangs, load the film, and see what happens.

The thickness is a good point. I remember hearing YEARS ago that if you shot color neg super 8 that you had better be using a pro grade super 8 camera and not the auto everything type you could get at Sears. They had to be powerful cameras to pull the thicker film through. The 100D may not be thicker but the result is the same if the camera is wearing out. I wonder if MORE battery but the same voltage would help? I'm AWFUL with electronics but you know how a car batter is 12 volts and you can buy a flashlight "lantern" battery that's 12 volts but the lantern battery won't start the car. Get where I am going with this? I don't anymore! :lol:
grainy

Post by grainy »

The camera is a Sankyo 420XL, def. not Sears level but probably below the nizo/canon level that so many (on this forum) seem to enjoy.
On the other hand, I got it for 25 bucks.
No idea about cranking up the voltage, beamascope, that's for cleverer and braver folks than I.
:)
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

I have several super 8 and two carts of 100d. I tried running old (25 year old) Kodachrome through several and it jammed in all of them. I figured it was the cart on that one. I have a Sankyo as well and its a good camera. It's amazing what decades old grease can do in a camera. I have some old Bolex 8mm wind up cameras that could barely run at 12fps WITHOUT film in them. I cleaned out the old grease off the gears and re-greased it and they run like new. It's trickier with a super 8 but not impossible with some patience.
aj

Post by aj »

The film is advanced by the claw. Either this will stop working when the wind-up is hampered and the claw can no longer force the film into the chamber, the wind-up-drive friction could be too weak but this is not pulling the film ahead. Or the claw does not manage to pull the last few feet from the store. This can be due to friction or the film is too strongly curved and the curve hampers the film sliding through the cartridges channels.
Also the moving force of the claw could have been reduced due to aging or lack of power.
Kind regards,

André
grainy

Post by grainy »

I'm all thumbs technically. I guess for me the question is whether it's worth bringing in to the photo shop to investigate and/or repair, or whether their hourly will exceed the cost of a Nizo or Canon anyway... :(
BAC

Post by BAC »

Before you start adding more power to your camera try cleaning the battery terminals. They may not look corroded but can still have enough corrosion or tarnish on them to limit the power from the batteries. I would give them a light scrape with fine sand paper or a file. I have run into the problem on a few cameras where the motor seemed weak. After cleaning the terminals they ran great.
grainy

Post by grainy »

that's a good idea, BAC -- and something at my skill level ;)
thanks!
EH