how to know what speed you are shooting at on arri or r16

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MattWalters

how to know what speed you are shooting at on arri or r16

Post by MattWalters »

I use to own an r16 (that I actually never used because I could not figure out for the life of my to use without wasting film) and have now purchased an arriflex that I fear will have the same problem

with the variable speed motors that can be run anwhere between 1-XX frames per second, how do you know when you are actually running it without having to waste a couple feet of film every time for it to show on the "spedometer"

Just seems like an incredible flaw to have to waste all that film just to set the speed

does anyone know of any hacks to be able to do to the motor in order to have a selector switch that would shoot at some desired intervals like 1 - 9 - 12 - 16- 18 - 24 - 48 - etc

or even more simple than that, as I dont see why I would ever need to film at any speed in between ?? what is the point of being able to go between framerates without having to stop on preselected spots

I'm sure theres a reason I can't think of - if someone could educate me on this that would be awesome! :) thanks!
bolextech

Re: how to know what speed you are shooting at on arri or r1

Post by bolextech »

Once you set the running speed using the speed indicator dial, you don't need to readjust it for each shot. Just monitor it occasionally. After a lot of shooting, when your batteries become a little depleted, you might need to tweak the speed adjustment to the next notch to maintain your desired speed. That's all.

If you want to mark your speed dial in advance for the various set speeds, of course you can do that. You can do it when there's no film loaded, it should still be in the ballpark. Or load a roll of dummy test film in order to simulate a loaded camera.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
MattWalters

Post by MattWalters »

yea, what I was talking about what being the ability to change speeds while already in one loading, like is easy for instance with super 8 or with a canon scoopic 16 mm etc. It just seems like so much more intuitive of a system

is the voltage dropping near the end of the battery the reason why they made it the way it is on the r16 / arriflex ?
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

MattWalters wrote: is the voltage dropping near the end of the battery the reason why they made it the way it is on the r16 / arriflex ?
I would assume so.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

bolextech wrote: You can do it when there's no film loaded, it should still be in the ballpark. Or load a roll of dummy test film in order to simulate a loaded camera.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Just double check in the R16 manual - I have a feeling there's a certain speed above which you should never run the camera without film loaded

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

This advisory is not applicable to the Beaulieu R16.
I just checked, just to make sure.
It comes from the Bolex H16-Reflex manual where it is suggested not to run the camera above 32fps without film.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Montreal, Canada
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Are you sure - I'm 99% sure the 4008ZMII can't be run empty above a certain speed - and 75% sure for the R16 --- maybe I'm wrong -- now I've got to find my manual and have a look!!!

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

The arriflex s or st and beaulieu r16 have rheostats so the film speed is set on those.
the r16 has a 25/25 switch.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Actually it's a 24/25 switch on the R16 (which is probably want you meant to say) -- but there doesn't seem to be any way to decide which one you want -- I think it works automatically off the Hz of the power supply?? I'm pretty sure it's been discussed on the Beaulieu R16 forum

http://beaulieur16users.yuku.com/forums ... mera-Forum

Scot