Sound striped 16mm film

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

camera8mm

Sound striped 16mm film

Post by camera8mm »

Hello
I aquired a kodak pageant 16mm projector which has the option of optical and magnetic playback and magnetic recording on 16mm film. (not fullcoat mag stock.)
was wondering if anyone bothers with 16mm sound stripe film these days.
jpolzfuss

Re: Sound striped 16mm film

Post by jpolzfuss »

16mm sound-striping is at least available at fipra:
http://www.fipra.de/filmbearbeitung/mag ... index.html
This space was left intenionally blank.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

What about making a print with an optical track for 16mm?

Actually, that would be fun to output some HD edits to 16mm with audio.
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Yeah, you can still get optical sound tracks done but its pretty limited. I think Alphacine in Seattle can do it (either that or there was someone in Seattle doing them). Skylight studios in Toronto does them too.

Its mono only and you just send them a digital file with your mono mix, people complain about the limited range of it but its got a certain sound that is unique.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I've been trying to find some 16mm mag striped film to test the projector but it seems there isnt a lot or some people say sound movies and dont know weather it is optical (more likely) or mag stripe.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Aren't 90% of 16mm sound projectors optical? I don't think I've ever seen a magnetic 16mm sound film. Wasn't that just for news gathering cameras?
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

The only film I have seen with mag sound is a combination sound print that has the optical track on half of the sound track space and mag stripe on the other half. This was for multi (two) language prints. I have one of "The Big Sleep" remake with Robert Mitchum. The mag track is Japanese. Kodak made pre-striped print film. It was a real money saver and gave better quality sound if you wanted a print and had your own recording mag sound projector. I was really bummed about it when they stopped making all 16mm mag-striped film.