Pacfic Film Labs, Super-8 cartridge.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Carles

Pacfic Film Labs, Super-8 cartridge.

Post by Carles »

A friend sent me a picture of a Super-8 cartridge that I has not seen before. This Super-8 cartridge is from Australia, manufactured by Pacific Film Laboratories. The cartridge has expiration date in November 1977. Does anyone know what movie is inside this cartridge? Does anyone know if this Australian lab produced more Super-8 cartridges with different film emulsions?

Thanks!

http://www.super8data.com/database/film ... acific.htm
(=^.^=) meow!
granfer

Re: Pacfic Film Labs, Super-8 cartridge.

Post by granfer »

There were many such "badged" products all over the world... in the UK GRATISPOOL and BOOTS spring to mind.
At the time this one was being sold the film inside could have been one of many... KODAK, AGFA, ILFORD etc.

The cartridge itself (which is still sealed in the foil bag) might give a clue, because there were some minor differences in some makes.

Unless Pacific Film Labs were an official KODAK processing station at the time it is unlikely to be Kodachrome.
Carles

Post by Carles »

Thank you for your answer. I believe, by the expiration date, that this film could be Agfa, Sakura or Ferrania. I wrote to the person who owns this cartridge. He told to send this cartridge to me. I'm going to develop it.
(=^.^=) meow!
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

In the 1970s there was an AGFA facility here in Melbourne. If I remember correctly, the pacific chrome did look very similar to the agfa-chrome. I certainly remember Pacific Chrome being in my Father's camera shop in those days. it was the cheapest super 8 stock on the shelves.
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
Carles

Post by Carles »

Thank you very much for the info, Richard! You write that there was a film cartridge called Pacific Chrome. Very interesting. :) Do you remember if there was any other brand name of Australian film for small gauge formats?
(=^.^=) meow!
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

um, in australia isnt it spelled colour, so that would rule australia out.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

Indeed! we spell colour correctly! That might mean that Pacific wasn't an Australian company. Or else it might other things too. Nonetheless, we had pacific film here with a box that IIRC looked like that!
rt
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

Yeah - I remember seeing those packets back in the late seventies (early eighties). But the dodgy colours on the box made me think the film inside might be dodgy.
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

a little inter net search revealed from the super 8 data website it is repackaged agfa chrome film.
there are about 12 rolls for 12 $usd on fleabay now but whether one can process it is questionable, besides, kodak and agfa dont get the money from that sale, so buy new!