Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sk360

Re: Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Ca

Post by sk360 »

granfer wrote:OMG! Here we go again!

Are you for REAL?

Suddenly, LOMO is being hailed as the potential saviour of the amateur and professional Motion Picture Camera industry.... and all over a TOY!!!
And we have the BRILLIANT idea of adding a MOTOR to the TOY, as if REAL 35mm still cameras with motor drives haven't existed for many, many years already!!!

Are you taking the mickey?

If not, I repeat what I said earlier.... Get a GRIP!!
Who cares if it's a toy or not. Cameras are nothing more then tools for the photographer or cinematographer no matter what the cost or original purpose of it's creation and the main reason why people hack, modify or simply try using their gear in new and inventive ways. Look at the Lens Baby, it was practically a novelty item when it first came out for the amateur market but that didn't stop Janusz Kaminski from using it in The Divingbell and the Butterfly and now you have a version of that lens for motion picture use. So if someone has modified this $75 dollar camera to a $450 dollar motor I want to know about it just like I wanted to know on another forum if anyone modified a Holga to a Phase One Back( which sure enough a few people have). Even more important to me is I have a client who's a fashion designer and was able to convinced her of it's potential to be used with other cameras were shooting for a spot to be used for her on-line campaign which has a good chance of playing in Milan next year and may even get semi promoted by Conde Nast. So finding out what people have done with this camera is beneficial to me, my client, other like minded people and of course help with the promotion of using film which if you haven't noticed on the front of this website is reportedly DYING!

So, really next time you feel the urge to be a jackass after waking up with a bad hangover of drinking piss-warm Guinness and sleeping under the London Bridge all night, go do us all a favor and dump you head into the river and sober up so you can prove your an actual semi coherent human being. Maybe that will help you get a GRIP, you drunken TROLL!
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

sk360 wrote:[Talking about Granfer].......So, really next time you feel the urge to be a jackass after waking up with a bad hangover of drinking piss-warm Guinness and sleeping under the London Bridge all night, go do us all a favor and dump you head into the river and sober up so you can prove your an actual semi coherent human being. Maybe that will help you get a GRIP, you drunken TROLL!
Many people have missed the point of granfer posts. You are one of them. Granfer is not criticizing the use of the LOMO. He is criticizing the way many got excited about it as though it is something novel and the best thing that has ever happened to humanity after the invention of the alphabet. This is where his GET A GRIP comes from.
You want to modifiy something: go modifiy a Nikon F2S that comes with a motor. Some had done it before. LOMO's all-plastic structure will not be able to withstand any motor or Tobin tools installed on it.
Every toy can be useful in Photography. I gave an example the PixelVision 2000 video camera that was made for children. It has its uses in the toolbox. But to get excited about it and call it the greatest invention that goes on par with going to Mars, then this of course calls for a GET A GRIP. That was granfer point.
Finally, the way you ended your post is uncalled for. I do not know if granfer is a drunken troll or not. But from your language, you truly sounded like a DRUG ADDICT that befits him sleeping under the London Bridge.
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thank you, Lunar07, for the perceptive, intelligent and courteous way you defended my posts on this subject. I do not intend to add anything further, as I clearly see that that some have taken offence at the strength of my feeling on it.
I only add some useful information to correct the lack of knowledge of both myself and the city that happens to be the Capital of my country...
1. I am 74 years of age and though I DO take alcohol in moderation I have NEVER been drunk in my entire life.
2. I have only ONCE drunk Beer in my whole life. I was 16 years old and a friend offered me a half pint of Best Bitter. One mouthful was enough; I couldn't see what anyone saw in it, and haven't touched a drop of it since. Neither have I ever drunk Guinness (why would I?).
3. I live about 160 miles from London, so I am unlikely to fall asleep under "the London Bridge". Incidentally, there are nearly 20 "the London Bridges" to choose from, if one doesn't count the one that a certain American purchased "sight unseen" (thinking he was buying TOWER Bridge ) and re-erected somewhere in the wilds of your country.

I could respond to personal abuse in kind, but I discovered about 60 years ago that that kind of behaviour most often arises from ignorance. Our notorious "English Reserve" rarely lets us descend to its use.
Last edited by granfer on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

Lunar07 wrote: Many people have missed the point of granfer posts. You are one of them. Granfer is not criticizing the use of the LOMO. He is criticizing the way many got excited about it as though it is something novel and the best thing that has ever happened to humanity after the invention of the alphabet. This is where his GET A GRIP comes from.
You want to modifiy something: go modifiy a Nikon F2S that comes with a motor. Some had done it before. LOMO's all-plastic structure will not be able to withstand any motor or Tobin tools installed on it.
Every toy can be useful in Photography. I gave an example the PixelVision 2000 video camera that was made for children. It has its uses in the toolbox. But to get excited about it and call it the greatest invention that goes on par with going to Mars, then this of course calls for a GET A GRIP. That was granfer point.
Finally, the way you ended your post is uncalled for. I do not know if granfer is a drunken troll or not. But from your language, you truly sounded like a DRUG ADDICT that befits him sleeping under the London Bridge.
Bullshit.Your buddy across the pond was insulting when I asked a simple question. Maybe at the pub can get away with that kind of shit talk but on the net your going to start a fight especially when you say crap like ARE YOU FOR REAL and GET A GRIP. So if either of you don't seem to understand simple common practice of net etiquette, then obviously you both need to wake up--preferably with a good swift kick in the ass.

Terence

Post by Terence »

Newbie and my first post, so please be gentle :)

I couldn't agree more with this comment.....
CelluloidDisco wrote:Thought I'd chip in...

Yes its a plastic toy.
Yes the frame rate is crap
Yes I'm sure scanning and cropping will be a pain
Yes lomography have a rep for being overpriced and overhyped

...but I'm going to get one for my 6 year old son. It'll be a pleasure to stay up after hours scanning end editing so he can watch what he shot. And if I can persuade some black and white, I'll do the developing too.
Its a simple device to introduce the magic of creating moving images - not a camera revolution like the marketing implies.
I've arrived at this forum by a curious Lomography route, my 15yo daughter is heavily into Lomo photography but having seen it advertised she asked for a Lomokino for her 16th birthday coming up; not being the sort of dad who just nods and agrees I decided, after reading as much as I could about the Lomokino, to get her into filmmaking through a slightly different route to the one she's expecting and have acquired for her an 'as new' Ilford Elmo 8TL-4 but the point I'm trying to make is, like CelluloidDisco and many others on here probably, the Lomokino can only be a good thing if it gets teenagers (and younger) into film and shows them how much more fun it can be than just applying a filter to an app on a mobile phone.

Great forum by the way - I feel there's going to be lots of questions from us on the horizon.....
Today's cutting edge is just tomorrow's retro.
Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Welcome to the forum, Terence, and congratulations on having started off with a well-balanced, intelligent post (especially in a thread such as this!). I actually do agree that the Lomokino might be a good 'starting-out-in-using-film' toy for kids. Then again, having looked up your choice of present (Elmo 8TL-4), I must say that this strikes me as a much better choice in the long run. Starting with Standard 8 straightaway may be a little bit steep in terms of the learning-curve it involves, but I have a suspicion that a teenager will get tired very quickly of the Lomokino's limited features, while a decent Standard 8 camera promises many more years of fun (so long as it's kept in good condition).

Charlie
Terence

Post by Terence »

Thank you Charlie. Yes, my thoughts exactly, the limited features of the Lomokino might wear thin too soon whereas the potential to create something with a little more substance (and a much better frame rate!) will hopefully appeal for much longer. It will be kept in good condition, I'll see to that :)
Today's cutting edge is just tomorrow's retro.
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

Yashica have been here before in the 1960s. the 'SEQUELLE' is a half frame camera that is electric motor driven. '

Pressing the release takes pictures in rapid succession until the end of the film is reached, when the motor automatically stops.'

Which is a quote from the book (Cameras - the facts 1963/64 Focal Press)

It is designed on the lines of a cine camera. No indication of the spped of pictures being taken but it is a still camera with a power drive rather than a cine camera.
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

This is one of two for sale in the US on eBay. Not expensive. ( Cheaper than a Lomo)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yashica-Seque ... 500wt_1413
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
granfer

Post by granfer »

Today is the first birthday of this exciting thread, so at the risk of being called all sorts of names, I really MUST ask....

What happened to all the excitement? Did I miss the production of the first epic on this machine?

Birthday greetings from that old Fart,
Granfer
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

Not much relative to the general population of serious filmmakers. I suspect we do not take kindly to plastic in our cameras. My Lomokino gift remains in it's shrink wrap unused on our bookshelf. I wonder if actual Lomokino users have decreased since then? I am not tracking this.

But my friend, Dwight, still managed to shoot one of the sexiest Lomokino shorts when he first discovered the camera. No promotion was made regarding his film. I don't not believe he has used it since, i.e.

https://vimeo.com/38822722
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm