Agfa Movexoom 10 sound exposure

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

unsanity

Agfa Movexoom 10 sound exposure

Post by unsanity »

I have an Agfa Movexoom 10 sound camera but no manual.
I am not too sure about exposing Ektachrome 100D with automatic exposure. Does anyone know what exposure compensation to use when using a hand held meter ?
I've done some experimenting with black and white film with home developing and came up with roughly a 1/3 stop extra exposure. Does this sound right for 100D ?
Thanks in advance.
Julian.
joelpierre

Re: Agfa Movexoom 10 sound exposure

Post by joelpierre »

unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Thanks Joellpierre for the quick response. The pdf's are very informative but don't directly answer my question for exposure compensation with a hand held meter.
However, I have searched these forums on this matter and have gleaned that people set the camera with the backlight exposure button on and without the daylight filter to get a reading of 80 ASA.
In the technical pdf it states the camera can recognise daylight 100 ASA or 160 ASA tungsten, so if I set the camera on the daylight setting (thus with filter) with Ektachrome 100D the automatic exposure should be correct. Then if I put the exposure button on fix and remember to remove the filter, things should be ok.
Does that sound right ?
Anybody ?

Julian.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

This is a 25/40 and 100/160 camera. What this means (and yes the manuals can be confusing when it comes to daylight stock) is that the camera will expose 160 Tungsten at 160 under Tungsten without filter AND at an INDEX of 100 in daylight WITH filter. Along the same lines, the camera will expose 40 Tungsten at 40 under Tungsten without tungsten AND at an index of 25 under daylight WITH filter.
In other words, the 25ASA and 100ASA are INDEX ASA that tells reader the ASA that the camera is exposing at WITH filter when 40T and 160T are used.
Such cameras will not expose 25D and 100D correctly.
With Ektachrome 100D you never use the 85 built in filter under any circumstance. This filter should always be removed.
You remove the filter AND use Backlight button. The back light button opens aperture anywhere from 1/2 stop to 2/3 stop. OR check your camera - press the backlight button. By how much is the aperture open? 1/2 stop to 2/3 stop? You are fine using 100D. Does it open aperture by 1 stop? Then camera is exposing at 80ASA which is OK with 100D.
Remove filter, and use backlight button.
unsanity wrote:Thanks Joellpierre for the quick response. The pdf's are very informative but don't directly answer my question for exposure compensation with a hand held meter.
However, I have searched these forums on this matter and have gleaned that people set the camera with the backlight exposure button on and without the daylight filter to get a reading of 80 ASA.
In the technical pdf it states the camera can recognise daylight 100 ASA or 160 ASA tungsten, so if I set the camera on the daylight setting (thus with filter) with Ektachrome 100D the automatic exposure should be correct. Then if I put the exposure button on fix and remember to remove the filter, things should be ok.
Does that sound right ?
Anybody ?

Julian.
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

unsanity wrote:… if I set the camera on the daylight setting (thus with filter) with Ektachrome 100D the automatic exposure should be correct. Then if I put the exposure button on fix and remember to remove the filter, things should be ok.
Yes.
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

I have a roll of 100d shot with a Agfa Movexoom 6 sent away to dwaynes. Same camera different lens.
Ill tell you how it comes out. I hope it comes out fine as its probably the most portable of the top end cameras
that I have. The timelapse function is the best I have used.
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

gahoona - do you have the movexoom 6 sound or silent model? Does the 6 model have a flash contact on it and the +1 correction also?
gahoona wrote:I have a roll of 100d shot with a Agfa Movexoom 6 sent away to dwaynes. Same camera different lens.
Ill tell you how it comes out. I hope it comes out fine as its probably the most portable of the top end cameras
that I have. The timelapse function is the best I have used.
gahoona

Post by gahoona »

Its the silent model. It has all the same functions (flash, self timer, remote socket, manual and +1) all but the sound.
complete with the dumbest idea ever, the lap dissolve in the trigger.
http://super8data.com/database/cameras_ ... exoom6.htm
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

Thanks gahoona. I am aware of the info regarding this camera on www.super8data.com. If you'll notice the page for this camera states that Movexoom 6 does not have a flash contact. I wanted to confirm this with you since you have it. It looks like it does have the flash contact. These cameras look so cool.
gahoona wrote:Its the silent model. It has all the same functions (flash, self timer, remote socket, manual and +1) all but the sound.
complete with the dumbest idea ever, the lap dissolve in the trigger.
<A class=vglnk title="Link added by VigLink" href="http://super8data.com/database/cameras_ ... exoom6.htm" rel=nofollow target=_blank vglnk_1321831368273="1">http://super8data.com/database/cameras_ ... om6.htm</A>