Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Camera

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Will2

Re: Lomography introduces handcranked 35mm Lomokino Movie Ca

Post by Will2 »

Mine came in today.

Packaging is great. It's smaller than it looks on the site. Definitely a toy and no matter how fast you think you're cranking it, you'll only get about 4 or 5 frames a second. It has gears that maintain that speed; it is not a direct 1 to 1 ratio on cranking. Also when you crank it that fast you're moving it all around so steady shooting would be nearly impossible. It does have a tripod mount so I guess you could mount it and crank for more of a steady shot.

Not sure it's worth $79 but it looks like it will be fun.
grainy

Post by grainy »

Will - is the shutter just a regular camera shutter? It seemed like that the video I saw.
G
Aaron_M

Post by Aaron_M »

Will2 wrote:Mine came in today.
Not sure it's worth $79 but it looks like it will be fun.
Will -

What kind of film are you planning on using with it?

Thanks,

Aaron
sk360

Post by sk360 »

Very interesting and yeah you will see this used in music videos and commercials. The Lomo company has been growing steadily over the last few years so I wouldn't bee surprised if they put out some sort of full-on super 8 or 16mm camera. Maybe even 35mm as they're already halfway to making a Eymo from the looks of the Lomokino.

@will2

Looking at the camera, do you think the hand crank could be nodded to fit on a tobin motor?
granfer

Post by granfer »

OMG! Here we go again!

sk360 said
"Very interesting and yeah you will see this used in music videos and commercials. The Lomo company has been growing steadily over the last few years so I wouldn't bee surprised if they put out some sort of full-on super 8 or 16mm camera. Maybe even 35mm as they're already halfway to making a Eymo from the looks of the Lomokino."

And....

"Looking at the camera, do you think the hand crank could be nodded to fit on a tobin motor?"

Are you for REAL?

Suddenly, LOMO is being hailed as the potential saviour of the amateur and professional Motion Picture Camera industry.... and all over a TOY!!!
And we have the BRILLIANT idea of adding a MOTOR to the TOY, as if REAL 35mm still cameras with motor drives haven't existed for many, many years already!!!

Are you taking the mickey?

If not, I repeat what I said earlier.... Get a GRIP!!
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

granfer wrote: If not, I repeat what I said earlier.... Get a GRIP!!
Another excellent suggestion, Granfer. A battery grip would be perfect! :mrgreen:
granfer

Post by granfer »

Gentlemen,
Today I have to announce my stunning invention which, I am assured by my two year old great-grandson, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is so innovative in its concept that I simply have to share it with the savants of this Forum, whose support and encouragement will, I am sure from reading past posts on this thread, flow freely once they have understood the importance of this development.

Basically it consists of large rectangular (although one could use almost any shape) box, painted black internally. At one end I put a specially treated piece of glass (one could use Perspex, or other transparent medium) and at the other I made a VERY small hole with the point of a pin (one could use a needle, the result is much the same).
If this is placed with the hole facing an illuminated scene, such as the countryside, and left for some hours, something very strange happens. The light reaching the treated glass affects it in such a way that if the glass is further treated with different chemicals a representation of the scene APPEARS ON THE GLASS PLATE!

Obviously, I'm not going to reveal the details of the treatments to the glass (except to say that they involve Iodine and Mercury), but I am sure you will agree that what I have done has enormous potential!

The thing that puzzles me is that, because it's so simple and obvious, nobody has thought of it before!

Now to the important part. I am at a loss to decide what to call both my apparatus and the process, so I thought I would ask the experts of the Forum for suggestions. I thought (I do not know why, it just came to me) of a “KODAK” for the apparatus, and “XEROXING” for the process producing the pictures.

Can anyone think of something better? I await, with bated breath, your suggestions and inevitable accolades.

Humbly yours,
Granfer.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Aaron_M wrote: What kind of film are you planning on using with it?
I have some negative Kodak Gold 200 for outside and Fuji Pro 800Z for inside now. I have some Provia reversal coming and I can probably dig up some Velvia from my film fridge.

Right now I plan to shoot and have my local Wolf Camera process and scan the negatives to CD...hopefully I should wind up with two frames per scan. I'll make sure they know what I'm doing so they can adjust the scans accordingly.
sk360 wrote: Looking at the camera, do you think the hand crank could be nodded to fit on a tobin motor?
I highly doubt it although you could probably rig a small hobby motor somehow. Keep in mind that I don't think you could get much over 8 frames per second not matter how fast you spin that crank; the plastic gears would probably shatter at much more than that.

This thing is much smaller than it looks on the site.

Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

granfer wrote:Gentlemen,
Today I have to announce my stunning invention which, I am assured by my two year old great-grandson, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. (...)
Can anyone think of something better? I await, with bated breath, your suggestions and inevitable accolades.
Humbly yours,
Granfer.
This sounds absolutely stunning! How about calling the very small hole 'Schneider-Kreuznach' and the glass plate 'Agfa', or would this be too Germanic-sounding?

Also, I've got a great idea on how to modify your invention. Once you have enough glass plates together, how about putting them in a ring-binder, then you can flick through them, and lo(mo) and behold, you've got a VIDEO!

Charlie

PS. Coming back to the Lomokino video: as far as I understand, the whole novelty is that the Lomokino makes VIDEOS on 35mm film (or rather on 24 x 8.5mm film, but let's not be too pedantic).
granfer

Post by granfer »

Thanks, Charlie!
Good to know there are other really inventive minds (not just me) out there ! Your idea sound just fantastic. Would you be interested in a joint venture, as I'm sure that with both our brains together on the inventive side we could come up with something really great?
All we would then need is one of those marketing men (you know, the ones with really idiotic ideas) and we would have something capable of achieving CULT status.

Just think of when all the money would start rolling in!

granfer

P.S. Just had a SUPER thought.... if we made the glass plates in a SPECIAL shape (say, tall and narrow in the same proportions as a vertical finger) that would be a PHENOMENAL format !!!
reflex

Post by reflex »

Granfer, you're being an old grump and ruining an interesting thread. Everyone here agrees that the LomoKino is a toy camera. None of us are going to attach Tobin motors or perform expensive mods on it (well, unless I find myself driving by Clive's place in Spokane Valley and feel like making him laugh).

However, some of us *will* buy it to see what sort of footage we can get out of it.

We clearly understand that Lomography.com's Dianas, Holgas and LomoKinos are not the vanguard of a new golden film age.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Mana

Post by Mana »

Well said Reflex. Granfer, get off this topic and go shoot some bloody film!
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

granfer wrote:Gentlemen,
Today I have to announce my stunning invention which, I am assured by my two year old great-grandson, is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It is so innovative in its concept that I simply have to share it with the savants of this Forum, whose support and encouragement will, I am sure from reading past posts on this thread, flow freely once they have understood the importance of this development.

Basically it consists of large rectangular (although one could use almost any shape) box, painted black internally. At one end I put a specially treated piece of glass (one could use Perspex, or other transparent medium) and at the other I made a VERY small hole with the point of a pin (one could use a needle, the result is much the same).
If this is placed with the hole facing an illuminated scene, such as the countryside, and left for some hours, something very strange happens. The light reaching the treated glass affects it in such a way that if the glass is further treated with different chemicals a representation of the scene APPEARS ON THE GLASS PLATE!

Obviously, I'm not going to reveal the details of the treatments to the glass (except to say that they involve Iodine and Mercury), but I am sure you will agree that what I have done has enormous potential!

The thing that puzzles me is that, because it's so simple and obvious, nobody has thought of it before!

Now to the important part. I am at a loss to decide what to call both my apparatus and the process, so I thought I would ask the experts of the Forum for suggestions. I thought (I do not know why, it just came to me) of a “KODAK” for the apparatus, and “XEROXING” for the process producing the pictures.

Humbly yours,
Granfer.
Definitely, yo should do that website and that demonstration video.
Nicholas Kovats

Post by Nicholas Kovats »

My, my.

I initiated this thread, left and then returned to find the LomoKino rhetoric has imploded.

The all plastic LomoKino not withstanding...represents a public fantasy with motion pictures. Also fellow filmmakers imbue a general predesposition towards camera mods. It comes with the territory. Practical or not.

When a friend of mine who just happens to be employed as a fulltime professional Arri/RED/D5 cinematographer buys the very first LomoKino in the nation at our local Lomographic store...transmits his excitement to his semi-pro HDSLR buddy who buys one too...then purchase their respective flashes...one begins to suspect that Lomo has successfully tapped the mythical and very analog film zeitgeist.

The Lomographic manager and staff were visibly excited when I mentioned my development of UltraPan8, i.e. the overlap in aspect ratios. i have been asked to bring around the UP8 Bolex to the store for a through examination and 20 questions.

Now you'll have to excuse me as I head over to cash in my LomoKono Groupon gift certificate from my sweetie. :)
Nicholas Kovats
Shoot film! facebook.com/UltraPan8WidescreenFilm
grainy

Post by grainy »

freedom4kids wrote:My, my.
When a friend of mine who just happens to be employed as a fulltime professional Arri/RED/D5 cinematographer buys the very first LomoKino in the nation at our local Lomographic store...transmits his excitement to his semi-pro HDSLR buddy who buys one too...then purchase their respective flashes...one begins to suspect that Lomo has successfully tapped the mythical and very analog film zeitgeist.
The Lomographic manager and staff were visibly excited when I mentioned my development of UltraPan8, i.e. the overlap in aspect ratios. i have been asked to bring around the UP8 Bolex to the store for a through examination and 20 questions.
That's cool! I hope they're inspired to take the next step and produce some kind of "real" movie camera.