feature on super 8, a good idea?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Re: feature on super 8, a good idea?

Post by mattias »

next up is arlington film festival, sorry roger not your arlington but massachusetts. this friday october 7. they have already announced that i'm the winner of the best narrative feature award, very cool.

http://www.aiffest.org/program.html

and then in november we're competing for the golden owl award at the leeds film festival, uk. i will attend and i believe some people here are somewhere around there so send me a pm.

http://www.leedsfilm.com/

in case you haven't followed the entire thread i still want to shoot a feature on super 8 but this one is DSLR, blown up to 35mm. (the first DSLR feature ever at the time we shot it actually, but now it's so common nobody cares) ;-)

coolness,
/m
grainy

Post by grainy »

Congratulations on your festival success Mattias!
Appropos of Super 8, for what it's worth, I just had a second screening for my super 8 short last weekend -- it played up on the big screen with all the other shorts, (ALL shot on digital) and I have to say, having been shot on Super 8, it really stood out from the crowd in a positive way.
I'm planning on shooting a Super 8 feature sometime and it seems to me that the main issues are NOT the image quality at all (that's a plus) but it's how to write a great story that will be made even better under the constraints of the format. I'm going to avoid sync sound, for example, and I have 2 backup cameras, a reliable GAF and an untested Eumig, that I can use if my Sankyo happens to die on me. Total cost of cameras was 30 dollars. That leaves a lot of money for film and feeding actors!
best regards
G
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

grainy wrote:......................I'm going to avoid sync sound, for example, and I have 2 backup cameras, a reliable GAF and an untested Eumig, that I can use if my Sankyo happens to die on me.
grainy - I am just curious, what Eumig model are you using as a backup camera?
Good luck with your project.
grainy

Post by grainy »

Lunar07 wrote:
grainy wrote:......................I'm going to avoid sync sound, for example, and I have 2 backup cameras, a reliable GAF and an untested Eumig, that I can use if my Sankyo happens to die on me.
Hey Lunar07--- it's a Eumig Sound 30XL. Are you familiar with it?
I got it as one of those "I bet you could use this" gifts. ;)
Lunar07

Post by Lunar07 »

I have many Eumigs but the only two that I use are the Viennette 8 and 830XL.
In addition I have the 31XL and 125XL (both with sound). I never used these but it looks like they are fine cameras. The 31XL has a + correction for aperture. However, the 125XL has a knob in the film compartment which allows for +/- aperture correction. Both these cameras have filter pins but, nevetheless, they are 40/160 cameras. So the +/- on the 125XL comes in handy because it allows the support of many additional ASA's. To make a long story short, I was about to put the 125XL for sale on eBay knwoing very well that it will fetch me $10 if I am lucky. So I may as well give it away. Then I read that you have a Eumig for backup. If you want the 125XL send me a PM and it is yours for cost of shipping. It has the manual and its very own microhpone :D
grainy wrote:
Lunar07 wrote:
Hey Lunar07--- it's a Eumig Sound 30XL. Are you familiar with it?
I got it as one of those "I bet you could use this" gifts. ;)
mattias

Post by mattias »

hey, doing some thread archeology just to let you know that you can now rent this film on vimeo on demand. it's not super 8 but it could have been and it's made just as if it was and it kind of looks like it was. :D

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fuerteventura
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Wow Mattias! I never saw that trailer before. Very very impressed!!!

Do you still make films?

(Btw great to have you back in the forums. :) )

/Andreas
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Looks great Mattias - I do remember this from years ago -- what are you up to now - hopefully still making films :-)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
mattias

Post by mattias »

sure i'm still making films but professionally i'm a physician now even though i still produce features on the side (lots of comp time as a doctor and golf isn't my thing), and i changed geek hobbies from old film cameras to bicycles so there's very little super 8. :) i recently started developing stills again though so at least my old ikoflex gets to see some use, and the kodak camera (i'll read the thread about it i haven't been following the news) looks interesting and might bring me back. what about you guys? any films? super 8 or otherwise?
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

mattias wrote: what about you guys? any films? super 8 or otherwise?
Yep I'm about to start a feature next year about a homeless girl - we'll be using a Canon DSLR. When I did In My Image we picked Super 8 because it was either that or miniDV which I didn't really like - I could possibly shoot on Super 8 again if I had the money - but the noisy cameras and short run times are two of the biggest turn offs - but the image quality is always a plus. Otherwise I've just published a sci-fi novel called The Forest of Life and finished a sketch comedy feature, which entering in various festivals at the moment.

You may have seen on the other threads I've just got a HD transfer on In My Image done - I'm hoping to correct some of the artefacting etc I had from before - and some of the jitter
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
kuparikettu

Post by kuparikettu »

I have yet to do a feature film, but short films and stuff like that is something I have been doing over the years -- both professional work / art (though it is something I do on the side as well) and family films.

My home movies are almost entirely shot on both super-8 and 16mm film, Andec's super-8 one-light prints from negative look great. Professional work on the other hand I have shot very recently on both super16 and digital. Got to say, while BMPCC and Alexa look quite good, at least for me it's hard to beat real film..!