New Super 8 multi-camera live music video shot with V3 500T

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

cjcurry

New Super 8 multi-camera live music video shot with V3 500T

Post by cjcurry »

Long time lurker here, thought I would finally sign up and join in.

Two and a half years ago, I filmed one my friends bands performing a song during their last ever gig. Armed with a Canon 814AZ, 814E, 518SV, Beaulieu 1008XL and 6 carts of Kodak Vision 3 500T, with the help of three other friends we captured the performance from four different angles. Cameras were set to automatic exposure and 24fps.

Film was processed by Spectra Film & Video and 1280x720 @ 50p ProRes 422 digital transfer by Kent at Uppsala Bildteknik. Sound was recorded separately at the venue then later on synchronised with Super 8 footage in Final Cut Pro 7. The video speed had to be adjusted to match the sound. This process made up the vast majority the editing process (and a highly frustrating experience at that). Cropped to 16:9 aspect ratio in Compressor (is it me or is Super 8 actually slightly bigger than 4:3?). No colour grading or filters added.

So without further ado, it can be finally viewed on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/26619463

Or alternatively on Youtube (please watch in 720p): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR0Dh4BdYa4
Andersens Tears

Re: New Super 8 multi-camera live music video shot with V3 5

Post by Andersens Tears »

Looking good! Nice to see the finished result! Good work!
( I got top see some sample footage :wink: )
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

cjcurry wrote:Cropped to 16:9 aspect ratio in Compressor (is it me or is Super 8 actually slightly bigger than 4:3?). No colour grading or filters added.
yes it is very slightly wider.
cjcurry

Post by cjcurry »

I thought so! A lot of sources say it's 1.33, but I just did some more research and it turns out to be 1.36. Even with the bars on the side, it fills the 16:9 area more noticeably than 1.33.

I was a bit torn whether to crop the footage or not. Sacrificing resolution on a Super 8 image is daunting. Turned out to be quite alright and the framing wasn't drastically altered either. Though, I still have uncropped copies just in case I have a change of heart.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

not a bad final cut.
I didn't care for the fades or the camera panning back and forth.
how long did it take you to edit and sync the footage?
cjcurry

Post by cjcurry »

It took a LONG time to get it all synced up. More than I would like to think about. I don't really have an idea how many hours it took, though it took much longer than I anticipated. For a few weeks I went back and forth to the computer lab at my University campus a number of times to edit. By the end, I had worked out a better method for the process, so next time it should be more efficient. I had to learn a few things on the way, made a lot of mistakes, but in the end got pretty much exactly what I was after.
sk360

Post by sk360 »

CJ,

How much better do you think FCP 7 is in regard to syncing up non crystal synch speed cameras then previous versions? And of so, do you think a digital slate would of made a difference if the band was playing for the cameras from a recorded track( like most music video productions do).
grainy

Post by grainy »

cjcurry wrote:It took a LONG time to get it all synced up. More than I would like to think about. I don't really have an idea how many hours it took, though it took much longer than I anticipated. For a few weeks I went back and forth to the computer lab at my University campus a number of times to edit. By the end, I had worked out a better method for the process, so next time it should be more efficient. I had to learn a few things on the way, made a lot of mistakes, but in the end got pretty much exactly what I was after.
CJ, what was the process you ultimately used for syncing?
regards
G