Anyone going to see Super 8, the movie?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

etimh

Re: Anyone going to see Super 8, the movie?

Post by etimh »

David M. Leugers wrote:Anybody see it in Imax? I have a gift card that the wife and I are waiting to use to see "Super 8" in Imax after it has been out awhile and the crowds are smaller.
I saw it in Imax digital projection the first time I went last week--BIG, crystal clear, and just totally ice cold.

Took my nephew to see it yesterday, projected on film. Beautiful, warm, and above all, true to the spirit of the subject.

I'm telling you, see it on film.

Tim
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

The movie is it at least in Super 8? :?
etimh

Post by etimh »

joelpierre wrote:The movie is it at least in Super 8? :?
Only a small bit, of course. But it is an important part of the overall film. IMDB says that they used 35mm, 16mm, and Super 8. Camera for the Super 8 was a Canon 1014 XL-S. Pretty cool.

Tim
aj

Post by aj »

I suppose these articles show up because of the film:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... ns/240219/

Kind regards,

André
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I saw it in Imax digital projection the first time I went last week--BIG, crystal clear, and just totally ice cold.

Took my nephew to see it yesterday, projected on film. Beautiful, warm, and above all, true to the spirit of the subject.

I'm telling you, see it on film.

Tim
Didn't know (should have guessed) the IMax is now digital. To hell with it. I will stick with the few theaters still running film prints. Thanks for the input Tim.
joelpierre

Post by joelpierre »

I looked (over flew) the film from a P2P file (I’m in Europe). I find this film very bad (painful) and (unfortunately) very representative of normal U.S. production. :cry:

I do not know if it's because of the poor quality of P2P files, but the image of the film have a lot of grain as if it were shot in Super 8 (which is obviously not the case).
Will2

Post by Will2 »

David M. Leugers wrote:
Didn't know (should have guessed) the IMax is now digital. To hell with it. I will stick with the few theaters still running film prints.
Only the newest Imax theaters are digital; there are still plenty of 70mm Imax films and projectors out there; usually the ones at Science museums and the like. The one near us has the projection room open to the public (through big glass windows) so you can see that huge film going through the projector.
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

I saw it the other night and liked it. At least more than most any other sci-fi CGI garbage out there today. I thought the story line with the kids making their Super 8 film was pretty funny and fun to watch. It looks like they used V3 200T and 500T in Super 8, as well as some S16 and the 35mm. Same stock in 3 different formats! I don't know where the S16 was used. It could have been slick and filled in for 35mm, or dirtied up for S8?
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Saw the movie last night. The kids used an Eumig Macro XL-66 camera in the traincrash scene if I remember correctly. I think I would give the film a score of 6 out of 10. Not bad, not very good either.

However, fun to watch the Super8 films and filming. Reminds me of the films we did 10 years ago on Super8. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

Yes, I'll be going. Got a free ticket so why not ?
I'm not usually over impressed by Hollywood CGI spectacles but it will be fun to go for the super8 bit.

Julian
sk360

Post by sk360 »

I read in one of the cinematographer mags, that they did shoot some super 8( with a Pro 8 camera) and wanted to shoot more, but had to rely on a SR3 as the FX people at Lucasfilms said there were some GCI issues with the format( the article didn't say why) Supposedly JJ Abrams and his DP were pretty bummed out about this as well as they wanted to " capture" footage of the monster with the same idea of aesthetics as the old Patterson Bigfoot footage from the 60's.
Last edited by sk360 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
aj

Post by aj »

sk360 wrote:I read in one of the cinematographer mags, that they did shoot some super 8( with a Pro 8 camera) and wanted to shoot more, but had to rely on a SR3 as the FX people at Lucasfilms said there were some GCI issues with the format( the article didn't say why) Supposedly JJ Abrams and his DP were pretty bummed out about this as well as they wanted to " capture" footage of the monster in super 8m like the Bigfoot footage from the 60's.
If they wanted they could have shot these scenes using two cameras? One S8 of course, using reversal film naturally. Just side by side for the thing of it. Although the Pro8mm expenses are steep even to a megaproduction.
Kind regards,

André