Processing Super 8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Pj

Processing Super 8

Post by Pj »

Has anyone adapted a Jobo Atl processing machine to develop Super 8 film?

P
timpppa

Re: Processing Super 8

Post by timpppa »

I would be also interested in this. There is no "original" jobo tanks for supe8. :?:
aj

Post by aj »

Posting the same question is not going to bring new answers.

This looks interesting:
It is a JOBO Expert size mini drum with long roll spiral.
But it takes 35mm and max 10 meter :)
If you would have two stacked spirals likes this you could feed the two ends into a spiral each and let the film bridge across.

Now if it were only possible to produce your own spirals...
Using a standard 35mm, some perforate platters and a method to machine or fix a spiral onto these would possibly do the trick. A nice holidays activity.

Another option would be to find a watertight drum which can hold a LOMO spiral and fix a JOBO cog cover onto that drum. The LOMO spiral is just a centimeter oversized for a JOBO 3500 drum :(
BTW there was an adjustable spiral from JOBO which would take 8mm film. Still only 10 meter.
Kind regards,

André
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

I have a Jobo CPA with a 4551 drum that I used to use for developing 50x60 RA4 Cibachrome prints.
I have made a film spiral ala the illustration in the "To Boldy Go" pdf. (findable on the net) except mine fits in the Jobo 4551 drum.
I can wrap 20 meters of 8mm film onto it and with the CPA have temperature control and agitation. I use my old Sony DV video camera on "nightshot" with a dark cloth over my head and viewfinder to see in the dark.
So far it works really well, I do black & white reversal and it only needs a half liter of chemicals which I use twice. I filter the bleach between goes.
I also have a Quarz-Zoom DS8-3 which of course uses 10 meters of DS8 film which I split first before putting it on the spiral.
The spiral holder I made out of wood covered in 2-3 coats of epoxy and used 1mm nylon line to make the spiral.
I also made a holder for the spiral for when I am wrapping the film onto it.
Julian Bell.
aj

Post by aj »

Nice to notice that somebody got this rack in drum working too.

Too bad Esther Urlus didn't include a list of sources for this 2008 brochure.

All info mentioned there on paper was discussed here on this forum years before that brochure was compiled. Some of the figures are from wahiba's website who had them there even longer. But then Warhol became famous by just recoloring other people's work or not even that. Just clipping and framing was enough :)
Kind regards,

André
Mana

Post by Mana »

This looks like it was a rare item. Don't think it works with there auto processors though. Went for a very good price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jobo-30837-Super-8- ... 27bc966fe9
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
unsanity

Post by unsanity »

After receiving a couple of emails here is a picture of the developing spiral and holder that I made for the Jobo 4551 drum to go in my Jobo CPA.

Also this is the link for the pdf. which will be of interest to anyone wanting to develop their own films:

filmwerkplaats.wormweb.nl/pdf/to%20boldly%20go.pdf

It's from WORMweb, a film workplace in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.

http://agenda.wormweb.nl/home.php

It is also in English.

Julian.
devspiral.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Thankyou, this is great stuff. I think such a rack wilol definately hold 50 feet and fit into a Jobo drum for the ATL, though I am not sure what size the largest dum is for the ATL 1500.

P
timpppa

Post by timpppa »

Thanks guys! Great stuff! Need to start making my own dev spiral for 3k series tank.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

very nice work Julian, well done!
richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au