GodDammit.... The End Is Not Near.. Light Meter App....

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

GodDammit.... The End Is Not Near.. Light Meter App....

Post by S8 Booster »

Free iPhone Pocket Light Meter app...
I saw a film today oh boy
The English Army had just won the war
quite not,,......

story is this.....i decided to shoot a CINEVIA 50D from GK film ... the ones reported to be higly bad due to blocking and with bad registration. I want to try it in 3-4 different cams starting with the wind up Quarz Zenit 1x8C2 which - according to David M. Leugers and Old Uncle Barry on this farm - could pull through the ill fated "new" K40s launched in 2001 or so and would block and jump notoriously but the "Q" never minded and delivered flawlessly.

now, what is the perfect tool to analyze this for a start? yeff, the Quarz of courze so i headed for some fresh 1,4 v Zinc-Air batts for the light meter.
still so I was not cofindent that the internal meter worked good or at all.... now , where is my Gossen Multisix.... too far away.....

now me think, somebody got to have made an app for the iPhone... and there were many many... i tried a few free and decided to for the Pocket Light Meter which seemed to be easy to set up to match the cam. a slight deviance has to be corrected vs the cams internal beam splitter (starting at - 1 stop compensation) but once this is sorted out the combo should work perfect.

Here is some info: Pocket Light Meter
A light meter that is always in your pocket. It is indispensable for film photography with all manual camera. Measures reflected light, and allows reciprocity calculations.

In-app purchases remove the ads and make the exposure display LARGER.
anywayhow, will have a fun evaluations....

shoot.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Re: GodDammit.... The End Is Not Near.. Light Meter App....

Post by S8 Booster »

some additional metering info options:

shoot.....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Cool. And my Sekonic can't answer phone calls:-) Jean
grainy

Post by grainy »

that is cool. One point for the iPhone!
Roster

Post by Roster »

You have to have the 3Gs or 4 model iPhone. It doesn't work on my iPhone 3G as that model does not have a video camera.

Oh well... I was planning to upgrade to the 4 soon, tho' I'd like to wait until the 5 comes out in hope that Apple will steeply discount the 4.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
Angus

Post by Angus »

Iphones without a video camera? Sheesh...it's been around 6 years since I owned a phone without at least a VGA video camera....

Is there a lightmeter app for Symbian S60 phones?
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
super8man

Post by super8man »

Sunny 16...just saying.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

True, IF you cam is 1/2 accurate. Even, beamsplitter aside - you do not know with the Quarz. The lightmeter - of any kind will verify vs the internal meter and set a reference....the beam splitter factor as well...

Shoot.....
beamascope

Post by beamascope »

I'll be interested to see how it works. I've had this app awhile but have not really used it except for just playing around with it. I'll be curious how accurate it is with movie film.
BAC

Post by BAC »

super8man wrote:Sunny 16...just saying.
There's an app for that:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunny-16 ... 51437?mt=8
super8man

Post by super8man »

LMAO - 99 cents what a rip off. Yes, complete waste of money. Heck, the free scientific calculator that came on my my ipod touch is more powerful and easily worth 99 cents.

A sucker born every minute (who buys that app, that is).
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
carllooper

Post by carllooper »

That is so damned weird.

Last night, as I lay down in bed wondering if my Sekonic had given me the right readings for the day, I thought to myself - I should just write an iphone app for that ...

And then I log on here - and here is this thread.

This happens often, thinking of something and then finding it simultaneously being thunk by others ...

Carl
Carl Looper
http://artistfilmworkshop.org/
aj

why all this pretence

Post by aj »

All very nice and as I am not a owner/user of any apple gadget it makes one wonder if the components of a an iPhone are up to it.
A serious exposure meter used to have no software at all and would cost Euro 200-300. Now an iPhone with a videochip of Euro 1-2 and no designfeatures can do the same ?

Remember there were no white iPhones as its body wasn't light-tight enough and the contrast of the video was too horrible to sell.

Any app which allows the iPhone to function as a contrast and exposure meter for use in the photographic darkroom? Do splitgrade exposures at 99 cents ?

Seems most findable photographic tools for smartphones aim to produce photos with errors. Color shifted, distorted, bad focusing etcetc.

Also, on a side, makes one wonder why typewriters or projector sounds are used in drama to suggest some action while a large proportion of the audience hasn't seen these in use for 30 years if ever. The same goes for using the words film, darkroom, photography and tape where everything sources from a memory-chip. I.e. there is no bearer and there is no graphic process in the dark :) Or display perforated film, frame borders or edge print with digital sourced and printed image-material.
Kind regards,

André
granfer

Post by granfer »

Wow, what more can you do with a mobile PHONE?

Can I suggest, with my tongue firmly in my cheek, that Apple turns its mind to making an "App" that will enable us to process Kodachrome by feeding it through the microphone hole and taking it (already dry) out of the loudspeaker hole? Shouild be a doddle!
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

this app is free as shown.... accuracy verification and versatility will be made vs the Gossen and various cams & settings later.

a few more features - here is one including varioius settings - here is one showing the various dedicated "Cine" presets:

shoot.....