Canon 814XL Electronic... problems?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

vickersdc

Canon 814XL Electronic... problems?

Post by vickersdc »

Hello Forum!

This is my first post, so I'd just like to say "hello" to everyone to begin with. Now, on to the real issue!

I've just received my first Super-8 camera (Canon 814XL Electronic) which I'm looking forward to shooting some Ektachrome 100D with, but there's a problem... or I think there is.

The shutter release switch does not advance the film; the remote switch works exactly as it should, i.e. plug it in, select frame speed, pull shutter release switch in and then use the remote control. But when using just the front shutter release, pulling it in activates the metering correctly but any further pulling in does not advance the film.

I've read the manual and can't see that I'm doing anything wrong, do any of you have any ideas? Is this a known fault? Has anyone else had the same problem? I'm kind of reluctant to send it back just yet in case I'm doing something dumb!

Thanks,
David.
71er

Re: Canon 814XL Electronic... problems?

Post by 71er »

Welcome David!
This problem has been described in the forum. I can't remember the thread but if you search a bit you will find it. As far as I can remember it has something to do with the electronics; as the camera's name suggests the shutter is not activated mechanically by pushing the trigger, but the trigger works a magnetic release for the shutter - this is information from the Canon Camera Museum.
Unfortunately I can't tell you how to fix it, but have a look for the thread.
Alex

Keep on Movieing!
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

I've done a search, and there were lots of posts dealing with the variable shutter but I couldn't find anything that related to the camera shutter release second stage not working, but the remote working fine. :(
john59

Post by john59 »

vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

Thanks for that - I had a look at that site and it does give hints as to a completely gummed up motor, but nothing about remote OK, camera release not.

Very interesting site though, and some good pictures about how to disassemble; as I've just got the camera I'm somewhat reluctant to take it apart and might opt to send it back to the place I bought it from.

My slight reluctance to do so stems from the fact that I will largely be using the camera on a tripod, and if using it hand-held I can still utilise the remote release. Other than the shutter release switch, everything else is in excellent condition and working well.
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

I've worked out what the problem is, and a workaround that I can live with!

It struck me that if everything works just fine with the remote plugged in, but doesn't shoot when it's out, then the remote socket could be faulty.

So, I plugged in the remote, put it on continuous, and set the control to R (rather than RL). Squeezing the camera's shutter release switch, it all worked perfectly. Take the remote out, it doesn't work.

I'm guessing that when the remote plug is removed, the socket tags are not making the electrical connection again - so all I need to do is get hold of a 2.5mm plug, wire the two tags together and all should be OK. I was going to make an extension lead for it anyway, so I'll just buy another plug!

Cheers,
David.
john59

Post by john59 »

Nice one, great camera by the way :D
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

This is my new Super-8 Canon 814XL Electronic on top of my Calumet fluid video head.

However, I've managed to mount the remote control on to the handle of the head by using the handlebar adapter from a bicycle light and some velcro. It's now really easy to operate the camera with my right hand whilst panning and zooming.

Charlie Blackfield

Post by Charlie Blackfield »

Welcome to the forum from me as well - and many thanks for the very useful posts. I've got the same camera (which works fine both with remote and without), but also a couple of other electronic cameras (both from 1977) whose motors appear to have given up. I never thought of trying the plugging-in remote thing. Okay, I don't hold too much hope that it'll work in my case, I guess the cameras are really gone, but you never know. Certainly worth a try.

Charlie
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

I knew my logical thinking and diploma in electrical and electronic engineering wasn't wasted - just a shame it took 20+ years to do something useful with it :wink:

Hope you get your other cameras fixed Charlie.

Cheers,
David.
http://davidvickers.com: Traditional film photography.
vickersdc

Post by vickersdc »

Yeh! It worked.

I bought a little 2.5mm mono plug and shorted out the inner & outer, I know that doesn't sound too wise, but the socket inside the camera would just remake the circuit once the remote is removed. Anyway, with the little plug in place, the camera shutter release now works absolutely fine. It's a workaround I can live with.

Whilst I was at it, I bought a couple of extra bits and made myself an extension cord for the remote too. :D

Next project... an intervalometer.
http://davidvickers.com: Traditional film photography.