Reminder: Dec 30 Last Day for Kodachrome process

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

StoneBuilder

Re: Reminder: Dec 30 Last Day for Kodachrome process

Post by StoneBuilder »

I've just received my PayPal invoice, from Dwayne's, maybe an hour ago, and I've just paid it. Is this a record?
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

No, I'm still waiting for mine! :(
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Just received mine as well tonight at 7:13pm EST. Looks like Dwayne's is coming through for the Kodachrome stragglers!
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
Mana

Post by Mana »

My credit card was charged in the 2nd of Jan. Earlier this week I received a shipping notification from Dwyanes, Yesterday the 5th, the packaged arrived with my 5 regular 8mm films! One was one of the first rolls of 8mm I ever shot from 2002! Was using my Bolex D8LA for the first time in NYC, with my now wife.

God bless Kodachrome!
R8: Bolex B8

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

DS8: Bolex H8 Rex4

S16: Bolex Rex4
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Mine came back unprocessed, 7 weeks after I'd sent them out. 5 silent and 1 sound. So disappointed.
Mana

Post by Mana »

RichardB wrote:Mine came back unprocessed, 7 weeks after I'd sent them out. 5 silent and 1 sound. So disappointed.
Very sorry to hear that Richard! Honestly I was beginning to worry about mine, until I received my shipping notification.

S8: Beaulieu 7008 Pro, Beaulieu 4008zm2 "Jubilee", Leicina Special, Eumig Nautica (24fps)

BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

RichardB wrote:Mine came back unprocessed, 7 weeks after I'd sent them out. 5 silent and 1 sound. So disappointed.
Unprocessed? Im sorry to hear that but what's that all about? I received my two rolls of 16mm back yesterday processed. Did you send it way after the 1st or is Dwaynes just putting their foot down and not processing some of the film they received?
Tom Houston
Virginia
WorkPrinter-XP to HD Conversion & Beaulieu Battery Re-Celling:
http://www.FilmMaker8.com
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

That really sucks. Sorry to hear it. Is Martin B. still able to process K40 as b&w? Has anyone tried him lately?
aj

Post by aj »

I suppose these arrived too late at Dwayne's. I read somewhere they must have been processing till the 18th or 20th of january. So much for the famous ultimate last roll by famous people. It was actually rightly so just one of the Dwayne's family who exposed and processed the last roll :) Don't know when they stopped accepting late rolls for processing though. I would have processed as many as possible. It means more profit from the last chemistry, or is this too simple?

I used UPS on my past Christmas shipment just to make sure it would get there on schedule. That did cost a 15 Euro extra. Maybe I exposed the last kodachrome stills and ciné here in Holland? December 26th and 27th :)
Usually postal priority shipping to USA works quite nice but I did not want to take a chance with this one.
I later learned that another before christmas shipment to USA was delayed because it was no longer travelling per air-amil but rather by boat. This is because of the jemenite bomb-attempts using parcels with printers/cartrdiges. Stupid enough nobody told me so when handing it in. Luckily the receiver is a collector and wasn't in a hurry :)
Kind regards,

André
Mana

Post by Mana »

Mana wrote:My credit card was charged in the 2nd of Jan.
Don't know where I got Jan. 2nd from. I was actually charged on the 31st! I know my package arrived on the 30th of Dec. Talk about cutting it close. 8O

camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

Ah maybe one could get a petition going for kodak to make the chemicals for dwaynes photo to do a one or two time process.
If there are enough people saying to do a run of kodachrome processing, kodak and dwaynes might think its worth it.
at least the kodachrome process patent should be available.
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

camera8mm wrote:Ah maybe one could get a petition going for kodak to make the chemicals for dwaynes photo to do a one or two time process.
If there are enough people saying to do a run of kodachrome processing, kodak and dwaynes might think its worth it.
at least the kodachrome process patent should be available.
I wasn't able to process all of mine so I'd definitely sign that petition. I wonder if the cost is prohibitive or maybe they just got tired of doing it?
woods01

Post by woods01 »

There is a post on cinematography.com from a shooter who claims they had the last roll of movie film processed and were there to watch it come out of the machine. IIRC he claims Kodak shipped their last k-14 chemical shipment a year ago and Dwyane's estimated that they would be good until the end of the year. It was Kodak decision not Dwyane's.

I'm sure they were processing all they got until the chemicals ran out.
StoneBuilder

Post by StoneBuilder »

I'm still in hiatus. I paid the PayPal request on the 17th January but never got the usual dispatch email. An enquiry through Dwayne's website javascript form hasn't produced a response. Will just wait and see a little longer.
super8man

Post by super8man »

Does anyone remember seeing the very last moments in the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off"??

"It's over."

Sadly, but most assuredly, Kodachrome is finally done. Your only hope is to sell it on ebay as a curiosity/novelty item. Has about the same value now as unused Polavision film cartridges.

Time to move on to Ektachrome. Try it, you will like it!
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/