Fomapan developing in the USA

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

David M. Leugers

Fomapan developing in the USA

Post by David M. Leugers »

OK, I still have some Fomapan waiting to be shot sitting in my freezer. I gave up after having trouble getting good processing after the Franklin lab closed in California. No one seems to want to touch it or do it right. Anyone have concrete experience that a lab here in the USA not only does Fomapan, but does it right?
aj

Re: Fomapan developing in the USA

Post by aj »

Maybe the seller of the S8 cartridge knows an address?

Otherwise www.super8.nl is an alternative. Although shipping and $-exchange aren't helping. It is still better then letting it go old and older.
Kind regards,

André
David M. Leugers

Thanks Andre. You guys in Europe have a pretty good asset there. The shipping costs, exchange rate, and fear of losing the film in transit are what
keeps me from doing it now. Kinda defeats for me the purpose of shooting Fomapan. While I like the look of Fomapan, it has always seemed to me to be a balancing act between saving money shooting it, and putting up with various issues with the stock and/or developing. Orwo UN54 is a good buy and it performs admirably and no problems developing that I have run across. Still, I haven't given up on Fomapan.
fairchild

Post by fairchild »

Have you ever checked out dr5 in Colorado?

http://dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/cine.html

They might be able to doi it.Ive heard good stuff from people about them doing reversal processing on most negative films and they say that they do cine film.

Always worth a shot :)
Joe
aj

Post by aj »

These Dr5 guys seem like a motived group of film-lovers :)
Kind regards,

André
David M. Leugers

DR5 is awesome! I have a roll of 35mm Tri-X still photos there right now
being turned into slides. However they do it, they perform magic with B+W negative film turning it into reversal. Extreme fine grain and sharpness. As far as motion picture film is concerned, I have thought about trying it, but they only advertise Tri-X and only up to 50ft with a whopping charge of over $30...
too expensive for my blood, but it would be cool to shoot some Tri-X S-8mm and rate it at ASA 800 and have it end up looking like Plus-X...
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

David M. Leugers wrote:it would be cool to shoot some Tri-X S-8mm and rate it at ASA 800 and have it end up looking like Plus-X...
For these kind of works send it to http://www.reveladoreversible.webs.com/
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

You may try:
http://www.exclusivefilm.net/resources.html
The lab is in Toronto, Canada. Jean
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

You might want to try Martin Baumgarten in Plattsburg NY. He also goes by Plattsburg Photo. I am not certain he has a web page. His email is <super8mm@aol.com> . He hand processes so he can process just about anything. I would guess that processing is about $35. But that is a guess.

dr5 can not slit 8mm and they had in the past other limitations on cine film.

I used to import FOMAPAN but stopped when US labs switched to the new Kodak reversal process. The labs I worked with informed me they were not interested in processing Fomapan because of numerous problems. One complaint about FOMAPAN that is not process dependent is that the base material is very brittle and breaks easily.

J.S.
aj

Post by aj »

mr8mm wrote: One complaint about FOMAPAN that is not process dependent is that the base material is very brittle and breaks easily.

J.S.
This seems more like the description of Svema material :) I.e. 20 odd years old russian stock. Here and there you may find old stock Svema refills for the Kaccema catridge. Really fun to work with but not on a serious production shoot.

I never found anything wrong with the base material. I process and slit it myself and it is just as tough as other materials. The only point of consideration is the residue it leaves in the bleach which makes it impossible to reuse the bleach.
Kind regards,

André
David M. Leugers

You might want to try Martin Baumgarten in Plattsburg NY. He also goes by Plattsburg Photo. I am not certain he has a web page. His email is <super8mm@aol.com> . He hand processes so he can process just about anything. I would guess that processing is about $35. But that is a guess.

dr5 can not slit 8mm and they had in the past other limitations on cine film.

I used to import FOMAPAN but stopped when US labs switched to the new Kodak reversal process. The labs I worked with informed me they were not interested in processing Fomapan because of numerous problems. One complaint about FOMAPAN that is not process dependent is that the base material is very brittle and breaks easily.

J.S.
Martin does good work, but again the cost factor makes shooting on Fomapan not too viable for any serious work to be done on Fomapan.

Dr5 does not seem to really want cine business per se.

Issues with Fomapan are many in my experience. I did like your Orwo UN54 DS8 you got me. Wish you could stock it. I was holding out for Plus-X DS8 but that will never happen now... One bizarre defect I had with a roll of Fomapan was right in the middle of a good shot, whole junks of the emulsion were missing - nothing but clear leader in some areas of the image... camera jams, static marks etc... but it is cheap.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Dr5 does not seem to really want cine business per se.
60ft limit is the deal killer. That means no 16mm.
fairchild

Post by fairchild »

David M. Leugers wrote:DR5 is awesome! I have a roll of 35mm Tri-X still photos there right now
being turned into slides
I just bought a bunch of tri x and tmax for this too! Although I'd really love to see some IR film as slides! 8)
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

mr8mm wrote:You might want to try Martin Baumgarten in Plattsburg NY. He also goes by Plattsburg Photo. I am not certain he has a web page. His email is <super8mm@aol.com> . He hand processes so he can process just about anything. I would guess that processing is about $35. But that is a guess.
According to his March 2010 order form, Fomapan R100 standard processing is $15 for one 25' roll of R8 or DS8. It is an additional $3 for a sepia-toned reversal. I assume that the price will be the same for Super 8, as $15 is his standard price for all reversal processing.
aj

Post by aj »

fairchild wrote:
David M. Leugers wrote:DR5 is awesome! I have a roll of 35mm Tri-X still photos there right now
being turned into slides
I just bought a bunch of tri x and tmax for this too! Although I'd really love to see some IR film as slides! 8)
There is still/againa Macophot IR 830 in 35mm cartridge.
Kind regards,

André