First time Super 8 short!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Andersens Tears

First time Super 8 short!

Post by Andersens Tears »

Hi, I recently ran a series of workshops for newcomers to super 8.

We recently had a screening at a local arthouse cinema for the films made during the course. We had a good response and coverage in the local press.

Here is one of the films, called Nightmare Date -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvgPlLgxa08

It was made by Harleen Sandelin who is an actress by profession but decided to have a go behind the camera instead. She chose super 8 to make her first film!

It was hot on two rolls of Ektachrome 100D and shot at 18fps with a Canon 514XL-S.

The processing was done by Andec and the excellent transfer was done by Kent at Uppsala Bildteknik.

Please have a look - please choose the full HD option. If you would also be so kind and leave her some supportive feedback - many thanks!

Here is her website - http://www.harleen.se/ (in Swedish)
Pj

Re: First time Super 8 short!

Post by Pj »

This is great stuff I love the composition and colours, I have just used some 100D and think it's absolutely great. Was a tripod used?

P
Andersens Tears

Pj wrote:This is great stuff I love the composition and colours, I have just used some 100D and think it's absolutely great. Was a tripod used?

P
I think 100D is great - and this film by Harleen show how good it can be in good light with a half decent camera - even at 18fps.

I believe a tripod was used for some of the shots - others were hand held.

Kent did a good job with the transfer!
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Looks nice!

Regarding the transfer... Well, it is easy to do good transfers if the filmoriginal is good. :)
Andersens Tears

Uppsala BildTeknik wrote:Looks nice!

Regarding the transfer... Well, it is easy to do good transfers if the filmoriginal is good. :)
Just shows that you can get great image with a Canon 514 XL-S at 18fps.

She was pleased with the transfer!
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

That looked really good! I love this 100D. It's odd how reversal has such a bad rap when it comes to telecine and so called unacceptable contrast and latatude. I think 100D handles itself very well, and has a look you can't get with negative and certainly not video.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
Andersens Tears

Tscan wrote:That looked really good! I love this 100D. It's odd how reversal has such a bad rap when it comes to telecine and so called unacceptable contrast and latatude. I think 100D handles itself very well, and has a look you can't get with negative and certainly not video.
I also really like 100D. I agree about the look, but then that is makes it so great - the fact that there is a choice depending on the look that you want.
bakasutchi

Post by bakasutchi »

My experience with 100d is that it prefers overcast conditions rather than full sun. Because of the contrasty characteristics of the film stock I have found that highlights blow out easily in full sun. I noticed that this short was shot in overcast light, maybe that was a conscious choice, I agree though it does look good especially in HD. I have a question though, I am now considering having future film scanned to HD, did this film maker compensate for the change in viewfinder crop when shooting or was the camera modified in anyway. Also does the fact that it was filmed at 18fps cause any problems at the telecine stage. Sometimes in low light situations with not much movement within the frame I am tempted to shoot at 18fps to gain an extra stop, but have not tried it.
Regards, Stuart
Andersens Tears

bakasutchi wrote:My experience with 100d is that it prefers overcast conditions rather than full sun. Because of the contrasty characteristics of the film stock I have found that highlights blow out easily in full sun. I noticed that this short was shot in overcast light, maybe that was a conscious choice
Hi Stuart! Agreed, in bright harsh sunlight (late spring and summer) the whites and highlights do go boom but there are different kinds of full sunlight - some of this was shot in rich golden Autumn sunlight and some in overcast conditions. The highlights held out really well and the colours really did pop in good sunlight.
bakasutchi wrote: I agree though it does look good especially in HD. I have a question though, I am now considering having future film scanned to HD, did this film maker compensate for the change in viewfinder crop when shooting or was the camera modified in anyway. Also does the fact that it was filmed at 18fps cause any problems at the telecine stage. Sometimes in low light situations with not much movement within the frame I am tempted to shoot at 18fps to gain an extra stop, but have not tried it.
Regards, Stuart
- the camera was a standard issue Canon 514XL-S with no modifications. They shot at 18fps to make full use of the running time available - 2 rolls of film.

There are two drawbacks to consider when shooting at 18fps - one you touched on yourself, movement - motion blur - on fast moving objects and the second being slightly less resolution in terms of picture sharpness.

As you can see the characters in this film did not move around too much so this wasn't a major problem.

The film was scanned to 1080 50fps with the speed corrected in NLE. 18fps transfers very well.

I think Kent would need to step in with advice on how well 18fs telecines.

Are you still shooting with your Nizo or do I remember correctly that you have a Canon 814xl-s now?

Anyways, hope this helps!
Jamie
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Motion is obviously not as smooth as with material shot with 25 fps. But if you are going for a HD transfer and your material is shot with 18fps the motion will be more smooth if transferred to 50p, compared to a transfer to a 25fps based video standard.