Kodak VP-1

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Davideo

Kodak VP-1

Post by Davideo »

Someone is selling an old Kodak VP-1 telecine machine. Haven't seen one of these in a long time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/290494880440
bolextech

Re: Kodak VP-1

Post by bolextech »

Used one of these in the early 80s. I remember the image being pretty sharp but the vertical registration was too jumpy, unacceptable for me.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

I can only imagine the diodes and solid state circuitry has degraded by now.
Where is that 8mm/super 8 or even 16mm film scanner from kodak in 2010???
nickrapak

Post by nickrapak »

camera8mm wrote:I can only imagine the diodes and solid state circuitry has degraded by now.
Where is that 8mm/super 8 or even 16mm film scanner from kodak in 2010???
I think Kodak is leaving that market to the people that know it best. However, I do see the market for a small tabletop telecine machine that could sell for ~$200 and have it marketed to the consumer market. it wouldn't have to be high quality, much like those $89.99 slide scanners on the market. All it would have to do is automatically scan a roll of 8mm film in at decent enough resolution to make a viewable DVD. I can see Kodak selling thousands to families with rolls of old movie film.
maprice123

Post by maprice123 »

From a complete non-techy:

I had exact same thought when I saw a kodak 8x10 self-feeding scanner on one of the home shopping channels the other night. Pandigital also makes a popular unit.

A motion picture film unit could adjust in width (perhaps an adjustable guide) for 8mm, 9.5, and 16mm film. Whatever mechanism they currently use to convey the larger prints/negs through the current design may or may not work for the motion picture film(?)

Software (something similar to the "8mmtoavi" program that I have seen on an experimenter's web site) could arrange an avi.