nizo camera help needed

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ballynally

nizo camera help needed

Post by ballynally »

I've got a Nizo 561macro.motor ok,controls work, dial in aperture meter wasn't showing, but i thought replacing the light meter batteries w 2 Weincell mrb675 (1.35v), with proper centering and connection) would solve that. It didn't. there's still no dial showing in aperture scale, no matter what i do. The little battery tester in the middle of the auto-manual knob has no effect, and switching it to the black dot on the power switch the same. So..is it repairable and is that worth the trouble, or should i count my losses (£35) and buy a new old Nizo from a shop (instead of chancing it on Ebay)? If there's a problem with the lightmeter battery/aperture, would a Adams 64 mod, bypassing the PX675 batteries work? btw, i love the Nizo design, opposed to my Eumig 880pma and Chinon.
Blue Audio Visual

Re: nizo camera help needed

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the battery chamber?
bolextech

Post by bolextech »

You just said it. Buying super8 equipment from eBay sellers at bargain prices often results in receiving equipment with one malfunction or another. It will obviously need servicing. Sounds like your exposure meter is jammed or otherwise defective. Whether it's worth it to spend the money, you must decide.

I know nothing of the Adams modification. Are they even still in business?
Their website says: "I will update this site continously (sic)(last modification: aug 16, 2006)" This modification will be of no help to you if the lightmeter is defective.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
Jean-Louis Seguin
Motion Picture Camera Technician
Montreal, Canada
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:Have you tried cleaning the contacts in the battery chamber?
yes. all clear
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

bolextech wrote:You just said it. Buying super8 equipment from eBay sellers at bargain prices often results in receiving equipment with one malfunction or another. It will obviously need servicing. Sounds like your exposure meter is jammed or otherwise defective. Whether it's worth it to spend the money, you must decide.

I know nothing of the Adams modification. Are they even still in business?
Their website says: "I will update this site continously (sic)(last modification: aug 16, 2006)" This modification will be of no help to you if the lightmeter is defective.

Cheers,
Jean-Louis
it's funny that the dial in the meter doesn't show up at all. The camera looks very good.lenses fine.motor fine.i guess i might take it somewhere for a repair-service or get a newly serviced Nizo.mmm..i'm willing to spend some money on it, if it is fixable.But then i need to get someone to take a look, which costs money, with no guarantee
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

Silly question #1:

Have you taken the plastic tabs off the batteries?

Silly question #2:

Once you've done #1, have you left them for 1/2 hour to let the reaction with air start to take place, preferably before putting them in the camera?

Silly point #1:

If it is up the spout, why not look for an 801 Macro? Bigger zoom range...
Tscan

Post by Tscan »

Its always a gamble with Ebay. My good friend decided to enter the S8 world and purchased a minty 801 Macro on ebay for $400. When it came, everything worked fine untill we put film in it and the motor struggled really bad. He ended up sending it to Du-All camera for repair... $300. So in the end, it cost him $700 for a mint, serviced Nizo 801. So i wouldn't feel bad investing in a sound repair on a camera you got cheap, as opposed to rolling the dice again. If you buy a guarenteed model from a shop, you will pay over $500.
Reborn member since Sept 2003
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

Blue Audio Visual wrote:Silly question #1:

Have you taken the plastic tabs off the batteries?

Silly question #2:

Once you've done #1, have you left them for 1/2 hour to let the reaction with air start to take place, preferably before putting them in the camera?

Silly point #1:

If it is up the spout, why not look for an 801 Macro? Bigger zoom range...
Yes, i did all the right things.
my time to be silly: i put in 2 weincell mrb675 batteries, but should have been mrb 625 batteries, which i now have ordered. both are 1.35v though, and i doubt whether they'll work.
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

Hi, it is possible to get your camera repaired and it is possible to get the light meter converted to run from the main power pack.

There could be any number of problems with the light meter, some are an easy fix or it could be you need a new one. If its the latter then, really you would be better off just purchasing a new fully serviced and modified Nizo 561 macro from Germany.

I know a very good and reliable place to buy one from. PM if you are interested.

Jamie
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

Tscan wrote:Its always a gamble with Ebay. My good friend decided to enter the S8 world and purchased a minty 801 Macro on ebay for $400. When it came, everything worked fine untill we put film in it and the motor struggled really bad. He ended up sending it to Du-All camera for repair... $300. So in the end, it cost him $700 for a mint, serviced Nizo 801. So i wouldn't feel bad investing in a sound repair on a camera you got cheap, as opposed to rolling the dice again. If you buy a guarenteed model from a shop, you will pay over $500.
i don't think i will return to ebay any time soon. i have some contacts in holland and germany (i live in Ireland).It wouldn't cost more than £100-200 to get a new, serviced Nizo 481,561,801.But i will let someone take a look at my 561 first. it might need a new galvano meter and maybe slight adjustments. And i have a working Eumig 880pma as a spare.So.. having spend £50 on the camera i hope the repairs/service costs will be smaller than buying a new one. a can just let the shop make an estimate
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

Andersens Tears wrote:Hi, it is possible to get your camera repaired and it is possible to get the light meter converted to run from the main power pack.

There could be any number of problems with the light meter, some are an easy fix or it could be you need a new one. If its the latter then, really you would be better off just purchasing a new fully serviced and modified Nizo 561 macro from Germany.

I know a very good and reliable place to buy one from. PM if you are interested.

Jamie
there are several posts discouraging people from converting the
light meter to the main pack. i forgot exactly why, but there's a reason for that.
i might be taking my camera to a shop that sells other Nizos and have him take a look and get some advice
Andersens Tears

Post by Andersens Tears »

ballynally wrote:
Andersens Tears wrote:Hi, it is possible to get your camera repaired and it is possible to get the light meter converted to run from the main power pack.

Jamie
there are several posts discouraging people from converting the
light meter to the main pack. i forgot exactly why, but there's a reason for that.
i might be taking my camera to a shop that sells other Nizos and have him take a look and get some advice
The conversion works amazingly - I will not repeat myself over and over on this forum to naysayers basing their arguments on theory - that when the battery pack runs down you will loose power to the lightmeter and it will not give a proper reading. Take advice from someone who has had the mod done and used the cameras for some time.

I have sent you a PM! :wink:
aj

Post by aj »

ballynally wrote: there are several posts discouraging people from converting the
If it is built with a adaptive regulator there is nothing to fear.

Please post a link to these discouraging posts. I have never seen one here :) And I have been reading this forum for a long time.
Kind regards,

André
ballynally

Post by ballynally »

aj wrote:
ballynally wrote: there are several posts discouraging people from converting the
If it is built with a adaptive regulator there is nothing to fear.

Please post a link to these discouraging posts. I have never seen one here :) And I have been reading this forum for a long time.
can't paste the link, but it says:
: Braun Nizo 801 meter battery conversion.
by bolextech » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:11 am

I would not recommend trying to power the Nizo light meter directly from the AA batteries.

The reason many cameras from this era used a separate battery, usually mercury, for the light meter is because the design of the exposure metering circuitry, using CdS photocells, required a very stable voltage for accurate readings. The mercury battery was ideal for this purpose.

it's jean louis (bolextech) from montreal. maybe he can give more clarification, but stable voltage is likely to be important.
aj

Post by aj »

Mercury cell did decline their voltage towards the of life too.

If the regulator is controlled by zeners or a voltage regulator IC it will be more stable then whatever battery available, then and now.

That is what I posted then on that thread too :) It is still true.
Kind regards,

André