Lighting with haze spray...safety question

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

TearsIntheRain

Lighting with haze spray...safety question

Post by TearsIntheRain »

I'm preparing to shoot my short for Straight8, and plan on shooting in a small room filled with haze spray, specifically "Fantasy FX Professional Haze" by CITC.

I have a portable halogen light kit I was planning to use. I also plan on having one of the characters light a cigarette and smoke.

However, I've noticed there are plenty of warnings on the haze spray can itself, as well as on the MSDS, regarding fire safety. From the can: "Extremely flammable. Do not puncture or incinerate container. Do not expose to heat. Do not store above 120°F. Avoid all spark or open flames."

Those halogen lights get pretty hot, and will warm up a small room. Not to mention I'd have someone lighting a match. Does this spell disaster? Or are the warnings referring only to the highly concentrated chemicals in the can? In other words, once the spray is lightly spread throughout the room, is it okay to use the halogen lights and light a match, provided the can itself is outside the room?

I've contacted the manufacturer just to be absolutely sure, but thought I'd ask here as well.

Here's the MSDS, if it's of any help http://www.citcfx.com/msds/MSDS-Fantasy-FX-MSDS.pdf

Thanks!