Is it dead here or just me??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

reflex

Re: Is it dead here or just me??

Post by reflex »

super8man wrote:Have you checked out the KORG DS10 for the Nintendo DS? It's kind of retro (or not) but I think it would be of interest to you (and your retrothing.com blog).
Yup, I have a copy and love it. I also have Nitrotracker for the DS. It's a professional looking homebrew music program.

My biggest problem with the DS is that my entire family loves it, which means that I rarely get to use it.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

I have noticed that newbies increasingly find the forum at cinematography.com and then seem to stay there as they get thet answers they are looking for.
Rick
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

Could be something to do with the global recession and the fact that people have less disposable income these days... I know that's the case here! Also, with the poor £ to € exchange rate, processing is now prohibitively expensive for a UK resident. :(

Shot my first Super 8 carts in ages a couple of weeks ago whilst on holiday- most of my 90's Moviechrome stash. Well, they ain't getting any younger, and nor am I. :D
Clapton Pond

Post by Clapton Pond »

We all post our films on YouTube or Vimeo - maybe we could put a link to this forum from those pages? Time to be proactive...

ian
https://www.slaughterback.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/slaughterbackfilms
https://www.gamine.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/gaminefilms
ricohmite

Post by ricohmite »

mjclash,

I, too, would like a Minoltina! There was one on ebay a few months back that had 2 magazines with it but I was busy getting burned on another deal and couldn't do it at the time. There was one within the last month on ebay but it did not list or show magazines. I watch ebay.uk for these as they were promoted there after Super-8 was introduced as a low cost alternative.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

Charlie Blackfield wrote:
S8 Booster wrote:one factor may be that all the "news" surfaced regarding S8 in particular since the Y2K or even since 1997 is discontinuation, declining figures, lab shutdowns, plant shutdowns, cart problems, jitter issues etc etc....
(...)
Is it really? What about the new filmstocks that have come out, better telecine facilities, new festivals that were established during the last few years?
disagree totally,....all the new film stocks are no more than substitute for the real stuff, lacking the continuity and predictability one could rely on up to 1997.

current "regime" is analogue to pee in the pants to keep one warm.

shoot....
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

S8 Booster wrote:
Is it really? What about the new filmstocks that have come out, better telecine facilities, new festivals that were established during the last few years?
disagree totally,....all the new film stocks are no more than substitute for the real stuff, lacking the continuity and predictability one could rely on up to 1997.

current "regime" is analogue to pee in the pants to keep one warm.

shoot....[/quote]

You are not happy with the 200T, 500T, Velvia 50D, 100D stocks??? In some ways I think we have more opportunities, especially with telecine facilities who take transfers seriously. Or were you referring specifically to Kodak's attitude towards S8?
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

CHAS wrote: In some ways I think we have more opportunities, especially with telecine facilities who take transfers seriously.
Yes, we have the opportunity to shoot Super 8 that isn't drenched in contrast right outta the box! :)

The negs are **fantastic**!!

Mitch
aj

Post by aj »

Even assumed dead accounts have started posting again :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21047
Kind regards,

André
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Jesus....and I thought I hadn't been around in awhile...of course I got a kid coming up soon and a move so maybe I'll pull a "Mojohey" myself... :lol:
woods01

Post by woods01 »

Not that I'm a key regular but I havn't posted in months because of all the password/forum spam issues. I still browsed the forum but I just didn't post.

But overall in the internet scene, the message board is an aged and dying communication device and people are moving onto newer & sexier stuff.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Same here, I browsed but didn't log in due to password issues.

And I think the late 90's early 2000's mini super 8 boom is over. We're left with the hardcore pros and enthusiasts now. I doubt there are many new users, though there are still a few trickling through.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
metaT8

Post by metaT8 »

I'm still here. I've been reading this forum for years but only signed up a while back. I'm mostly a reader, not so much a poster.

RE Chas: "... All the new film stocks are no more than substitute for real stuff..."

I sort of disagree. I do REALLY REALLY MISS KODACHROME. But it seems like 64T is performing better now than it did when it was first offered in S8. And it has it's own set of quirks that I enjoy. Tri-X looks better than ever as far as I'm concerned while Plus-X seems to have lost some ground.

I can't be bothered with the negative stocks. I like to have control over my transfers and that's not easy with Neg. I hate having to be exposed to a 3rd party for two stages of production. I already have enough headaches with processing. Not to mention the cost with Neg.

I've been shooting super 8 for about 20 years (not counting messing around as a kid).
I'll keep shooting super 8 until they take it away!

best,

M
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

metaT8 wrote:I'm still here. I've been reading this forum for years but only signed up a while back. I'm mostly a reader, not so much a poster.

RE Chas: "... All the new film stocks are no more than substitute for real stuff..."

I sort of disagree. I do REALLY REALLY MISS KODACHROME. But it seems like 64T is performing better now than it did when it was first offered in S8. And it has it's own set of quirks that I enjoy. Tri-X looks better than ever as far as I'm concerned while Plus-X seems to have lost some ground.

I can't be bothered with the negative stocks. I like to have control over my transfers and that's not easy with Neg. I hate having to be exposed to a 3rd party for two stages of production. I already have enough headaches with processing. Not to mention the cost with Neg.

I was quoting S8 booster who was quoting someone else so I'm not sure if you are disagreeing with me or him. But aside from the neg stocks there are two amazing reversals - Velvia 50D and E100D both of which you can easily get from 3rd party suppliers. I'm not a big fan of the 64T but it does have a nice retro feel if that is the look one is going for. Always loved the Plus-X and Tri-X.
einzelhaft83

Post by einzelhaft83 »

I have been a member for quite some time, just not many posts. My use of film is slow but steady. I use Canon 814AZ, Minolta D10, as well as Canon and Sankyo reg 8. Also a B&H 240 16mm.

Here is a question that does not need it's own thread: I have two roll of super 8 neg that are processed. What would be the most economical way to get a look at them. Seem like I talked to one place and it was something like $200 to get them transferred.