Over 8 hours to upload to Vimeo??

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Patrick

Over 8 hours to upload to Vimeo??

Post by Patrick »

This is really bizarre. I am in the midst of uploading a super 8 originated film clip to Vimeo and it's still going after 8 hours! The clip is an AVI file and runs about 1 minute. When the upload first started, it went from 1% to 99% quite quickly but has since stuck on 99% for hours. I admit I did cancel it at one point and restarted but this made no difference. Of course it is an AVI file but some people upload HD videos to Vimeo and surely they would not take anywhere near this long!! Meanwhile, I'm still waiting......
JhnZ33

Re: Over 8 hours to upload to Vimeo??

Post by JhnZ33 »

What's the size of the file you are trying to upload? Most HD videos (and possibly many SD videos) are uploaded in some type of compressed format.

Might be possible you may be exceeding the upload limit, or they may be having a problem on their end.

Rename your file and try uploading it again.

JP
History frozen in the frame of 8mm
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

It's a regular DV avi file at 208MB. I was assuming that Vimeo would compress it at their end and make it smaller. Afterall, they do list avis as one of their accepted file formats. My mistake! I'll make a smaller video file. I'm on Ulead at the moment and Ive got an option of making an MPEG1 or a streaming video (WMV.) I'm assuming that an MPEG1 would have higher resolution than a WMV, right? That's what attracts me more to it. However, would an MPEG1 be small enough to be accepted by Vimeo?
JhnZ33

Post by JhnZ33 »

Patrick wrote:It's a regular DV avi file at 208MB.
Well, that shouldn't be an issue then. Currently, they have a weekly upload limit of 500MB, but I'm not sure if they have a PER upload limit
Patrick wrote:I was assuming that Vimeo would compress it at their end and make it smaller.
Well they do and it ends up being displayed as flash.
Patrick wrote:Afterall, they do list avis as one of their accepted file formats.
I would check to make sure the AVI you're uploading is the type they accept.

John
History frozen in the frame of 8mm
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

The Vimeo site just indicates that they accept avis among the list of video formats but don't specify which type. The software I used (Ulead) doesn't seem to specify which type of avis it creates. Though would the fact that Vimeo uploaded up to 99% of the video indicate that they do accept whatever type of avi that is? That's just a guess on my part.

I ended up uploading a much smaller, more compressed file of the same video to Vimeo. At first, that seemed to be going nowhere, then I cancelled and re-uploaded and that worked. Though I would prefer to upload an avi as it would probably appear slightly crisper on the screen, I would guess. Has anyone tried uploading avis to Youtube? If so, were the results good?
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Patrick wrote:The Vimeo site just indicates that they accept avis among the list of video formats but don't specify which type.
Seems weird, since AVI is just a container. The most common format for AVI is DV compressed, all videocameras create DV compressed AVI files when transferred to a computer. If they cannot handle DV compressed AVI files... it sure seems weird.
Patrick wrote:The software I used (Ulead) doesn't seem to specify which type of avis it creates.
It really should specify what type of AVI it creates. Have you checked the help-files?
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Ah upon further looking in Ulead, under the AVI option, it says 'DV Video Encoder - type 1.' So I guess it's a type 1 AVI that this software produces.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Patrick wrote:Ah upon further looking in Ulead, under the AVI option, it says 'DV Video Encoder - type 1.' So I guess it's a type 1 AVI that this software produces.
It is a type 1 DV-compressed AVI file, not just a type 1 AVI. A type 1 DV-compressed AVI.

There is also a version that is called "type 2 DV compressed AVI file", the only difference is how the audio in embedded in the file. There is no difference in image quality or compression.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Ah cool thanks for that. It's been a while since Ive heard the 'type 1' and 'type 2' terms used to describe avis. I had no idea that only the audio was different between the two. Anyhow, I have just successfully uploaded an avi to youtube. (A short clip about 7 seconds long.) After it finishes processing, I'll see what the quality's like.
Uppsala BildTeknik

Actually the audio is also exactly the same in compression and quality, it is only embedded in the file differently. :)