OT (again). My latest painting!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

OT (again). My latest painting!

Post by MovieStuff »

This is called "Wheeeeee!"

Larger version can be found here:

http://www.rogerevans.tv/wheeee.html

It was fun using my camera to shoot a bunch of streaked images to get a feel for what the background should look like. In the end, I just streaked some paint randomly. Fun.

Thanks for lookin'!

Roger
super8man

Re: OT (again). My latest painting!

Post by super8man »

You better be careful, you could become like that "painter of light" - eghads have we got over that "fad" yet??? (Thomas Kinkade)...

I think you need to branch out more...perhaps more subtle colors. No more Kodachrome colors for you!

(All this critique from someone who makes stick figures looked like they are pencil-challenged.)

Cheers,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

at first quick glance I thought it was a photo! Man, you've got the color/light thing down to a science. Nice work!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

super8man wrote:You better be careful, you could become like that "painter of light" - eghads have we got over that "fad" yet??? (Thomas Kinkade)...
The weird thing is that Kinkade is actually a very skilled painter. But his choice of subjects and the gaudiness/busyness of his paintings is what turns most people off (including me). I'd say that about 1 out of 10 of his paintings are actually pretty nice but they get lost in all the needless fluff and over-gloss of his other more commercial work. If he would just confine himself to simple subjects I think he could be a great painter. Of course, he's stinkin' rich from all his commercial work so who am I too judge? If he's happy doing what he's doing, that's more than a lot of us can say, I suppose.....

CHAS wrote:at first quick glance I thought it was a photo! Man, you've got the color/light thing down to a science. Nice work!
Thanks. What was most satisfying was the immediacy of this particular painting. I probably only have about 16 hours in it so it was quick. That can make it more fun in many ways.

Roger
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Love the depth and shadows.

How do you find the time?
JCook

Post by JCook »

I looked long and hard at the larger version looking for a subliminal embedded cowboy, wooden fence, something that ties into your normal subject matter...DOH, I didn't find anything. 8O

Nice work Roger, I too at first thought photo.

Regards, John
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

I took two semesters of Adobe Illustrator at an art college recently and a lot of what we did was learning to draw over photographs, using the gradient mesh among other tools. You learn a lot about light and color but, man, that is nothing compared to someone who can do the real thing with oil and canvas. Amazing work.
brokenflashlight

Post by brokenflashlight »

Exquisite detail in your paintings. Wonderful.
There can be no thought of finishing, for "aiming at the stars" both literally and figuratively is a problem to occupy generations, so that no matter how much progress one makes there is always the thrill of just beginning.

-Dr. Robert Goddard
femina

Post by femina »

Well friends, I am creating a mosaic of small pictures on a canvas. But one of the pictures is very detailed. I will get a print out of what I want from the internet, cut it out and paste it on the canvas. What can I use that is clear to cover the small image on the piece of paper? Then I will paint something on top of that. What can I use to cover a small paper image on a canvas painting?