Shutter opening degrees for Nizo & Beaulieu.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

bakasutchi

Shutter opening degrees for Nizo & Beaulieu.

Post by bakasutchi »

I need to know the shutter opening degrees for a Beaulieu S2008 and a Braun Nizo 801. I plan on using a hand held meter to take the light readings and so knowing these openings is required. The Beaulieu has a guillotine shutter so I am not sure how this relates to a degree opening. The Braun Nizo has the Auto B setting which I think opens up the variable shutter. Any information on this subject would be gratefully received. Stuart.
MoonstruckProductions

Re: Shutter opening degrees for Nizo & Beaulieu.

Post by MoonstruckProductions »

The Nizo is 150 degrees with the variable shutter fully open and 75 degrees at the half-way notch. Don't know about the other one.

-Scott
Affordable HD Film Transfers
http://www.filmtransfer.us
Chris-B

Post by Chris-B »

Hello!

If the s2008 is the same as the 4008zm then the shutter speeds are as follows-

FPS - Seconds
2 = 1/7
4 = 1/15
8 = 1/30
18 = 1/65
25 = 1/87
36 = 1/130
50 = 1/175

I have a Nizo 561 macro and that is very difficult to use with a hand held meter.
The camera has always given great results on auto exposure but when I compare the readings to my hand held meter they are very different.
The 561 seems to be metering anywhere from 1 to 2 f-stops over.
Perhaps this could be due to the light loss for the reflex viewfinder?
Also the zoom range you use could also effect the reading, the 801 has a larger zoom than mine so you may need to compensate for that too.

Try it yourself and see what results you get, compare the cameras auto exposure to the hand held meter in various lighting conditions.
You might find that it is best to just use the s2008 for the manual readings and the Nizo for anything that you need auto exposure for.

Hope your shoot goes well,
Chris.
bakasutchi

Post by bakasutchi »

Thanks for your replies, I think you are right about the Nizo and the light lost through the viewing system, best left to the internal meter. I would love to be able to convert my 801 to run exclusively off the main battery pack rather than using the air batteries for the meter. I know it has been done, after all the Nizo Professional uses that system. Does anyone have any info on a conversion I am quite handy with a circuit diagram and soldering iron! I know there is a conversion out there I have seen info on the Adam 64 web site, he offers it as a service, I would like to try it myself if possible.
I presume the shutter openings for the Beaulieu 4008 are the same as the 2008 so thanks for that. I know the shutter works in a different way to most cameras, rather than a rotating disk with a segment cut out (the degree measurement) the shutter moves up and down (guillotine). I was hoping that the information would relate somehow to my light-meter. I have information in the meters manual for degrees in relation to film speeds but the fractions of a second settings on the meter only correspond on 1/15 and 1/30, the others I would have to guesstimate. Does anyone know if the Beaulieu shutter times relate to a degree opening, or is there a calculation to convert. Thanks, Stuart