IJM INCORPORATED

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ace

Re: IJM INCORPORATED

Post by Ace »

Yes, never do cash!

I think he should come to California and film the whole thing, make a little documentary about the whole experience (that way you could do a tax write off for the trip :D )

What is the latest with this? I really would like to know the outcome...
indiestar

Post by indiestar »

We were informed by Irv that the camera was shipped via Fedex and his associate supplied a Fedex tracking number. As can only be imagined the tracking number was bogus.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

indiestar wrote:We were informed by Irv that the camera was shipped via Fedex and his associate supplied a Fedex tracking number. As can only be imagined the tracking number was bogus.
Indiestar, can you tell us how you paid for the camera repair the first time? Was it a check or a cashier's check? If so, did you send it via the US Postal Service? Was the check ever cashed? How did you send the second payment? Was it by US Postal Service? Was it ever cashed?

Roger
Ace

Post by Ace »

Maybe he payed Paypal.
indiestar

Post by indiestar »

Well, we hired an attorney in Los Angeles County to help us file the small claims complaint against IJM. Mr. Higdon was contacted to let him know our intentions and "presto" our camera arrived via FedEx Ground. Two of the three items were repaired (he didn't repair the eye piece which was the main problem) but at least we now have our camera.

Just a note, IJM doesn't accept credit cards or paypal so you have no recourse if you deal with them.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

indiestar wrote:Well, we hired an attorney in Los Angeles County to help us file the small claims complaint against IJM. Mr. Higdon was contacted to let him know our intentions and "presto" our camera arrived via FedEx Ground. Two of the three items were repaired (he didn't repair the eye piece which was the main problem) but at least we now have our camera.

Just a note, IJM doesn't accept credit cards or paypal so you have no recourse if you deal with them.
Glad you got your camera back but I'm still curious if you paid with a check or cashier's check and if the checks were cashed. I mean, if the first check you sent was cashed, then you'd have easy proof and no need to send the second payment. If both checks were cashed, then he would need to send back the camera as well as return of one of the payments. How did you pay?

Roger
aj

Post by aj »

indiestar wrote:Well, we hired an attorney in Los Angeles County to help us file the small claims complaint against IJM. Mr. Higdon was contacted to let him know our intentions and "presto" our camera arrived via FedEx Ground. Two of the three items were repaired (he didn't repair the eye piece which was the main problem) but at least we now have our camera.

Congratulations. Was this just after the attorney wrting one letter?
Hope you got your second payment back too.

What is up with the eye-piece? Broken, dirty, fogged, misaligned?
Kind regards,

André
alfie

Post by alfie »

I have been reading all the postings regarding the Indiestar Vs IJM Incorporated situation on the Repair of a Beaulieu 6008 and I am Disquested.
Indiestar posts information that is not always true. Indiestar sent a Beaulieu 6008 in saying that the cammera would not run at 24fps. check exposure system and check eye piece. The Beaulieu 6008 in question was repaird on 8-1-2006
A message was left with Indiestar to contact IJM about payment, before the camera could be shipped. Many messages were left with the person who sent the camera. but no reply. That person is no longer there.
On 7-4-2007, Indiestar e-mailed a request for the cost. indicating that they had neglected to pay, and wanted the amount so the camera could be shipped.
IJM sent a letter with an invoice for the total due. Indiestar e-mailed another request for invoice, and a second invoice was mailed. And then nothing happened. Certified letters were sent by IJM to try to settle the bill., The camera waited in the IJM safe.
On 4-1-08 Indiestar e-mailed that a USPS MONEY ORDER WAS MAILED. oN 4-7-08 IJM E-MAILED FOR A COPY OF THE PROOF OF PAYMENT,since there was still no payment received.
Indiestar e-mailed the receipt number of the MOney Order to IJM, IJm could not find any record of receiving the MOney Order.
Additional E-mails were sent by IJM on 5-27 and 6-2-08 requesting the Indiestar
trace the missing money order.
On 7-7-08 The IJM bookkeeper send Indiestar the USPS procedure for Tracing a Money Order. The Purchaser is theo nly person who can request the Trace. The USPS would determine if the check was lost and issue a refund to the Purchaser if that was the case.
On 7-27-08 Indiestar e-mailed IJM saying that the USPS had refunded the money to INdiestar and a new check would be sent on Friday.
On 8-3-2008 Indiestar e-mailed IJM that a check was sent on July 31, 2008.
On 8-12-08 the check was received by IJM Bookkeeper and deposited in the bank. IJM e-mailed Indiestar requesting that they post ,that the first check was lost and IJM was not paid twice.The posting that Indiestar made was not sincere. IJM had the camera checked again since it had been sitting in the Safe since the original Repair, To insure that everything was operating correctly, IJM waited for 5 working days for the Indiestar check to clear the bank. That would be 8-19-08.
On 8-15-08 Indiestar e-mailed IJM that IJM was paid twice, and wanted the camera shipped.
On 8-18-08 Indiestar e-mailed IJM that Indiestar intended to take legal action to recover both the cost of the camera and the payment for the camera repair. Indiestar still was stating that IJM was Paid twice.IJM never received anything other than the E-mail from Indiestar regarding legal action. No letters or summons or anything.
On 8-19-08 The camera was shipped by Fed-ex.
the camera will be at Indiestar in 3 to 4 days. By their own admission, Indiestar unfortunately had a USPS money order lost, received a refund by the post office and sent a new payment. IJM was not Paid twice. Shame on Indiestar for making that statement.
Indiestar posted thet they received and E-mail stating the the camera had been shipped. but that was probably BOgus or a Scam, since they could not find a record of the shipment. Indiestar should know that you cannot track a shipment over the internet within the first 24 hours of the shippment, since Fed-Ex does not update their systems for 24 hours.
Indiestar than posts that the camera was recieved by them, but the eyepiece is not repaired, and that was the main problem. They forgot about the camera not running in the first palce.
Irving is not fastest at getting things done, but he did not keep the first payment by Indiestar, since he never received it in the first place.
And he did not keep the camera once he was certain that the check had cleared.
I know all this because I have seen the file IJM has kept on this matter. I do office work for IJM and all the documents from E-mails and letters and Receipts for Certified Mailings are there.

Regards
indiestar

Post by indiestar »

We stand by "all" our original comments.
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

On 7-27-08 Indiestar e-mailed IJM saying that the USPS had refunded the money to INdiestar and a new check would be sent on Friday.
Do you have a copy of this? If so, that changes everything.

If you actually waited over a year for payment, then you went beyond what you had to do legally. It would have constituted abandonment in California-- probably everywhere else, too.
alfie

Post by alfie »

Ref: IJM Incorporated
IJM Incorporated files contain a copy of all e-mails sent to and received by indiestar. Indiestar, should appologize to IJM for its slandering.
If I had a camera from someone else for a year, without any contact, after sending registered letters and no response, I would probably have Sold it,
after all legal avenues were approached. But instead the crusty old man did the right thing, tried again to reach the party involved and settle this matter.
He also had the camera checked over again , before shipping the unit out.

Alfie
reflex

Post by reflex »

Both sides seem a little off, if you ask me.
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
super8man

Post by super8man »

Wow - that post was really spot on - excellent information. And yes, I agree with other posters, it seems not enough IMPORTANT information was provided to us flies on the wall in forum land to make an accurate assessment of what really transpired...in my mind, I would have no worries sending a camera to that repair shop. I have seen enough customers to know that they are rarely "always right."
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
indiestar

Post by indiestar »

There's enough information on this forum alone for anyone to make a proper judgement on whether or not to work with IJM. Irv's California cronies can post all the misinformation they like but the facts remain the same. Buyer beware!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

reflex wrote:Both sides seem a little off, if you ask me.
Yes, I would tend to agree. With full respect to both indiestar and IJM:

A) I don't understand why anyone would send a second payment without knowing if the first payment had been cashed. It's easy enough to trace, so why make public accusations about a company without some research on the status of the funds? In that sense, I can see IJM's point of view.

on the other hand,

B) I don't understand why a company would have to wait 5 days to let a USPS money order clear the bank. If I had sent a money order, I would expect any repair company that had my camera for over a year to ship it out the same day as receipt of cash payment, which is what a USPS money order represents. So if indiestar sent a money order, I can certainly understand being upset by a lack of response on the part of IJM.

Roger