Film stock for Univex model A8

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Wade

Film stock for Univex model A8

Post by Wade »

Hello:
I have this very old spring wound driven motor camera which takes, as near as I can figure, something like single 8mm film on a 30' spool. (It's a family heirloom in original box and detachable lens.) Does anyone know what kind of film stock this takes? I have a reel of developed film the camera took. It looks like 1x8mm, but I haven't measured its width to be sure. The reel and the camera can only take a small 8mm like size film.

Also, is anyone familiar with this camera? I can wind the motor up, and the release operates everything normally, but as the motor winds down it noticeably slows down, as if it had no governor, or the governor is not working. Does anyone know if this is normal for this camera? Maybe it needs lube -- after 80 years ya think? Who would dare work on this camera? This may actually be a desirable effect for the section of the project I plan to work on later in the year. But I need to experiment with it now. All for nought if film can't be obtained for it.
Wade
leadlike

Post by leadlike »

You will need to find regular 8mm film for your camera (not the same is single 8 from fuji). This might be info overkill but here goes-univex used to take a single roll of regular 8mm film (16mm wide, 25 feet long that when finished would yield 50 feet of developed film for projection) and cut it in half to make 'univex loads' (8mm wide, 25 feet long, so only a 25 foot roll for projection when it is developed). Univex loads are no longer available. Contact John Schwind at international film as he sells regular 8mm film and he may be able to slit that in half to make a univex load. The most important thing that you really need to do this for your camera is that you need two reels in the camera-one to hold the film, and one to take it up. If you only have the take up reel, then you're in trouble...
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Just like to add, that if you do manage to have three reels (two minimum), make sure you load the reel into the camera, and remove it in total darkness. Those Univex reels are not very good at keeping the film from being fogged due to light leaking in around the sides of the film. If you get someone to split a roll of Double 8mm film for you, you will need two reels to put the resulting film on, plus one more reel as a take-up.

David M. Leugers
leadlike

Post by leadlike »

To answer your question about the speed control on these things-there really isn't any, so the motor will have a tendency to slow down quite a bit before the camera stops. This isn't as bad as when there as film in the camera, as there is more mechanical resistance to impede that slow death run down at the end of the wind.

I don't know if these cameras can really be fixed-I've tried to take a couple apart and after peeling some surface parts away, the bodies appear to be riveted shut.
Wade

Post by Wade »

Thanks for all your replies. I hadn't thought about all the reels I need -- excelent practical advice! I'll have to contact Schwind first, before trying to get reels. I had thought the projection reel I have would work, but I see it's too big. About fogging the film during loading, I load my 16mm film, even on daylight spools in a darkbag 'cause I'm that way. I hope it would be dark enough for this too.
Wade
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

I believe the Univex used what they called Straight 8 film, which was single strand regular 8mm perfed film, but only 8mm wide, not 16mm to slit.

A few months ago somebody mentioned that it was available, but I don't remember where.
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

its 1x8mm so you could buy 100' double 8mm film to slit 2 30' sections with 70 odd feet left over. (try figuring that in processing costs).
i have two of those cameras but only saw 1 reel of unused film (just to get the reel) at an auction, never more than 1 at a time.
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

leadlike your half right. Totally wrong on the type of film: The Univex Single 8mm (not the fuji single 8) takes 30' spool of 1x8mm film. It's the equivilent of DR8 after slitting. I just was chatting w/ someone last month about one of these great little cameras. Probably the best way to get film is from John Schwind. The guy I was talking w/ before was going to ask John to slit some film for him. He even has spare reels for his camera. http://www.kahlfilm.de actually sells fresh 1x8 filmstock for these cameras. Unsure about the type of spool it comes on though. The website is in german. the bablefish translator makes enough sense of it to get the idea. You can also email them in english and will answer you. They're pretty good about answering questions. You can also get a film slitter from Olex and and slit your own. I'm not sure if these cameras even had a govener. A clean and lube is definately in order. Search around a bit and you'll find a good deal of info on these cameras and several people still using them.
Enjoy,
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
cdg

Post by cdg »

I have the same camera, and have researched and posted extensively here about it.

Univex Straight 8 is the same perforation and pitch as regular double 8mm film, only it is slit in half.

I don't know if Kahl film will work or not, but John Schwind will slit and spool film for you if you provide him the empty reels. You will need 3 reels total - two for film, and 1 for take up reel.

I have the necessary reels, but presently don't have the funding to get Schwind to slit the stock for me (his prices are good, but I'm $160 in the hole from some car problems). I also need to send him some bulk film to be spooled... Ah my "to do" list never gets smaller... :)

If you want to borrow my reels, PM me and give me your solemn word I'll get them back and you can borrow them for the cost of first class shipping (probably 2 bucks). Dwayne's Photo will for sure process color single 8mm film ( emailed them and they wrote me back saying as long as the film is 8mm in width, perforation shouldn't matter), but I haven't heard from Film and Video Services - it's best to call them since I have yet to receive a response from any of my emails.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

EDIT: Sorry just noticed that James E already mentioned Kahl stocks it.
Wade

Re: Film stock for Univex model A8

Post by Wade »

Does anyone know what film stock this is?

http://web.mac.com/w.wade.rupp/Site/Photos.html

It is 1x8 film from the old Soviet Union. John Schwind gave it to me free, no charge, though he kept it frozen, because it is severly out of date. I suspect it is negative stock. The question is that if it is negative, can it be developed as negative? Spectra lab couldn't make heads or tails of it :wink: !! The fellow at the desk insisted it was regualr8--even though the box clearly says 1x8. They were stumped. Yale Lab says when they develop it as reversal it sometimes has a cepia tint to it, and that the original developer process no longer exists. (Or is it just that they can't do it?) I've shot one test roll--I'm just wanting to know what my options are for developing this stuff.
Wade
Wade

Post by Wade »

Wade
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Just wanted to add, that other than for a neat experience of having shot film with a 70 + year old camera using an orphaned film format, the costs involved and the effort required along with any expected results makes one wonder if it is worth it? You can easily get far superior images with a multitude of readily available and superior Double-8mm cameras. In the end, I decided I was a shooter and not a collector and sold mine years ago. Either way, good luck.
Wade

Post by Wade »

About four years ago I made this little family film using 1940s footage from my father's Univex, and adding some recent footage with the same camera. The people in this are my parents. Both have passed away. And my nephew briefly demonstrates his grandfather's Univex hence the title. As you can see from the recent footage, the lens has become milky. The part with my nephew was shot on a Bolex P1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj9vMpm1jSI
Wade
cameratech

Post by cameratech »

Fantastic little tribute Wade, great piece. I've got one of those cameras, never thought to use it though!
Thanks for sharing.

Dom
Dom Jaeger
Camera/lens technician
Cameraquip, Melbourne