Canon 1014 XL-S and Kodak Plus X

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ronnoco

Canon 1014 XL-S and Kodak Plus X

Post by ronnoco »

A few months ago I asked for advice from members of the forum regarding a shoot I wanted to do but I only had Plus X in the fridge on a Sunday night... and I was looking at low light conditions in a music venue.....I was encouraged to go for it....so following advice I set the variable shutter of the 1014 xl-s to it widest angle and opened it all the way and this is what I got.
The first half is pretty dark...lots of unusable footage...left in in so you can see what I got.... but things got a little better after I asked the lighting guy to give me as much light as he could.
Second half is Plus X during daylight hours....skater is my 8 year old son and the dogs name is Sunny....just wished I had a little more light at the gig :cry:

Telecine was with my diy unit...Eumig 610D and condenser lens setup

You tube compression dont do it any favours cos it sharpness isnt too bad at all.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X_ZFyWubpfM
morales72

Post by morales72 »

Hi, Ronnoco

With a little more light it would have been great. It can be seen by the end of the concert footage. Still, proves that Plus-X is a great stock. I used tri-x pushed to 320 at a jazz concert too. I will post it when I develop it.
One question, didn't you mirrored it or everybody is left handed?

Cheers,

Morales.
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Ah well spotted morales :lol: .....I dont have a mirror..yet..in my lens box and for the life of me I cannot find how you do it in post using sony vegas...must get myself a good optical mirror for the box :lol:

Thank you for your comments...I was a little disappointed with so much unusable footage...it was difficult to tell whether the light was going to be sufficient .....but hey it was for fun and the guys in the band can use some of the better exposed shots...and I learned a lot from the situation...one thing for sure ..always have a few carts of different stocks lurking in the fridge to cover most eventualities... :D
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I wonder if processing that as negative would have given you more to work with...

With B&W negative wouldn't it be much easier to invert in a home-made transfer? Wouldn't have the same color problems...

Does anyone put Double-X in a Super 8 cart? That could work great in a club situation.
morales72

Post by morales72 »

ronnoco wrote:Ah well spotted morales :lol: .....I dont have a mirror..yet..in my lens box and for the life of me I cannot find how you do it in post using sony vegas...must get myself a good optical mirror for the box :lol:

Thank you for your comments...I was a little disappointed with so much unusable footage...it was difficult to tell whether the light was going to be sufficient .....but hey it was for fun and the guys in the band can use some of the better exposed shots...and I learned a lot from the situation...one thing for sure ..always have a few carts of different stocks lurking in the fridge to cover most eventualities... :D
You're welcome. So you are using cinecap I believe. Sorry I am not familiar with PC soft but I'm sure there's someone on this forum to help you with that. I use capturemate and in the options there's a mirror item. I don't recommend you using a mirror with your lens as you'll get more errors, dust, etc. "The less, the best" works in this case.

As a suggestion, next time you could try overexposing a stop or even two. I did one with fomapan 100 (80ASA under tungsten) and it turned to be out well exposed (320ASA). Unfortunatelly, I had the pressure plate unadjusted and it's not a good sharp example.

Looking at your footage, temps me to do it with plus-x too!
ronnoco

Post by ronnoco »

Yes ...excellent suggestion...the 1014XL-S has the exposure compensation dial...and given the same kind of lighting situation and location using Plus X I would certainly compensate exposure...thanks Morales

I continue to learn every time I shoot a cart of super 8 film...what works and what dont :D

I think if I had had a couple of carts of Tri X the results woould have been good given the levels of light I was working with...

Of course my fridge now holds stocks of 64T, Plus X and Tri X ...couple of carts of vision 200 as well....I think I am much better prepared :D

I would love to see your Jazz concert filmed with Tri X
morales72

Post by morales72 »

ronnoco wrote:I would love to see your Jazz concert filmed with Tri X
Soon, soon, I promise. I need to organize a little my work space (lion's lair by now).
Keep up the good work. I have my freezer full of film too, I can't wait to shoot it all.

Kind regards,

Morales.