Super 8 K25.

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Matthew Buick

Super 8 K25.

Post by Matthew Buick »

Hi.

Was Kodachrome ever offered in Super 8 cartridges? If so, when was it discontinued? 2002?

Best Regards.
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

My flickr profile: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewbuick/
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I do not believe it ever was offered in S-8mm, at least here in the USA. I have never seen it for sale, and I remember comments in print about the fact you could get K25 in R-8mm and 16mm being one of the pluses for using those gauges. The confusion about the internal filter was probably enough to keep it out of production for S-8mm cameras. You would have to remove the internal filter and shoot outdoors, which is just the opposite for all the other color reversal films...

David M. Leugers
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I assumed that it was, but I guess not. It could have been notched for 40T with no filter notch. I still think it may have been available in DS8?
100D and Vision 3 please
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

No, there wasn't...(99.9999%)
DS8 yes, I have some!
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

That could be a "limited edition" release from a repackaging company like Wittner or Spectra if they could get their mits on several rolls of not-too-old DS8 Kodachrome 25!
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Ooh! I like the sound of that.
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Training to be a CBT Therapist. Deeply passionate about photography. Getting back into shooting Super 8.

cineandy

Post by cineandy »

hi, cant remember when k25 died, could of been 2002, k25 i dont think was ever offerred in super 8 carts, a real shame as it was sooo much better than k40... K25, double 8 was still available until earlier this year from Wittner. i purchased a 400ft roll of 16mm k25 from Retro earlier this year, sadly his last roll, i understand he still held ds-8 k25 stocks till earlier this year aswell. Last dated 16mm k25 and ds-8 k25 i've seen is 5/2004, luckily i still have 20 rolls of ds-8 k25 in my fridge, i just wished i'd forked out of 25 rolls of double 8 from Wittner.... I've searched and searched for k25, sadly finding kodaks greatest filmstock is getting rather difficult these days, even on ebay, and very few people win fridge stored 16mm k25 when there up against me!!!!!!! :wink:
Matthew Buick

Post by Matthew Buick »

Ooh! Err... And I was going to buy some DS8 K25, slit it into Super 8 carts, run it through an 814XL-S, modified to Super Duper 8, and shoot a short film. :x :wink:
Matthew Buick.
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

I'd love to get my hands on a roll of K25 DS8, never shot any K25. It would be interesting to see how it compares with K40 and 100D DS8.
100D and Vision 3 please
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I know of at least one and maybe two ppl who have some K25 DS8: Jessie Chamblis, and maybe John Schwind. One other place I'll have to look up.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
Angus

Post by Angus »

K25 was never, ever offered in super 8 carts. It was available in DS8 for special orders.

There was some talk of persuading Kodak to offer K25 in super 8 about a year before K25 was discontinued altogether.

Kodak has NEVER offered a daylight balanced reversal stock in super 8 carts, to the best of my knowledge.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

k25 is a wonderfull stock, after using the film since 1986, 100d is rubbish compared to k25, resolving power on k25 really puts 100d to shame, being brought up on a diet of k25 is why i'm so negative when it comes to 100d and its lack of resolving power on distant objects. Bolex ds-8 h8, does k25 justice, my experiance with the three canon ds-8 i've owned is that the canon has left me dissappointed. The optical quality on the late 60s early 70s zoom fitted to the canon is simply not in the same league as the switar primes. So if you want the best look super 8 images you really need a bolex. Yep, i've used 50d velvia ( in carts ) and in the 16mm format, k25 projects better and has a 3d image, better bite point when focussing, also more realistic colours too. When my stash of k/c runs out, i will then turn to 50d, its the closet to k25, and has great sharpness, sorry to go of track a little!!!

JS has no k25 left!!!!!!!

Chamblis says there stock left on the webpage last time i look, but NEVER respond to emails.

One more thing, Dwaynes proceesing of k25 is not as good as the old Swiss lab, Dwaynes color balance somehow seems to favour a warmer look.
Dwaynes k40 processing actually looks better than the old Swiss lab, k40 to me doesn't seem so blue as the Swiss processing, just something a friend of mine and me have noticed.

Anyone out there know where i can buy 16mm k40???????????
James E
Location: Houston, TX. Portland, OR. Playa Del Carmen, Quitana Roo, MX. ELgin, TX

Post by James E »

I think maybe Filmlab has some K25 left. 610-820-5127 But they may only have R8. If you really want to shoot some K25 shoot some R8. Some of the German places may have some K25 left also.
James E. Stubbs
Consultant, Vagabond, Traveler.
cineandy

Post by cineandy »

James, please tell where in Germany stocks of k25 are held?? Also do you have the web address for filmlab, many thanks.