film in fridge

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

GailM

film in fridge

Post by GailM »

I took out a few rolls of 16mm 7248 from the fridge (100 ft spools) to shoot.
(The rolls had been in the fridge over 2 years). I didn't shoot all the rolls and probably won;t need them for a month or more.

should I put the unexposed rolls back in the fridge? is it ok to remove and put back the same stock in the fridge?

any advice would be appreciated
Gail
Will2

Post by Will2 »

I've moved film in and out of fridge storage without any issues. Both 16mm and 35mm still film. I suppose the only thing that might be an issue is condensation but that's probably more about how you bring it out than putting it back in. I usually let it sit in cool AC room for a day before taking it outside. I don't know if those plastic boxes are really air tight like the foil packaging on Super 8.

EASTMAN EXR 100T... let us know how it looks.
super8man

Post by super8man »

aging of film is dependent upon temperature. So, to prevent aging/slow it down/lower the temperature. Therefore, keep film cool before, during and after exposure prior to processing. After processing, I am not aware that temperature makes a significant difference.

I re-refridgerate/freeze my film prior to processing...
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
MusicConductor

Post by MusicConductor »

The only difference low temperature makes on color-stable acetate film is improving its archival qualities from 50+ years to 150+ years or more. I don't have the link now but somewhere there's a Kodak statement along the lines that lowering storage 15 degrees (55-60F) adds about a century before vinegar syndrome starts.

Of course, old Eastmancolor red-to-sludge would be prevented if everyone had frozen their prints when they were new. Really helpful.

Isn't freezing the best long-term option for unprocessed film? Any drawbacks over fridging?
MIKI-814

Re: film in fridge

Post by MIKI-814 »

GailM wrote: is it ok to remove and put back the same stock in the fridge?
Yes, it's ok and recommendable. Film is not food, that you can't re-freeze. I guess that was your question about :)
mattias

Post by mattias »

you can reheat and re-freeze food too. it will lose liquid and color and change taste, but typically it won't become stale from the process if you're as careful with it as you always should. don't believe the hype.

/matt
GailM

Post by GailM »

Thanks for the info and perspecitive on re-frigding film which I'll now do with my 16mm rolls.

The 16mm rolls (100 ft) are in their original plastic containers. Should they be put in a sealed plastic bag for better fridge storage?

Also, could anyone respond to the quote below re freezing vs fridge storage
Isn't freezing the best long-term option for unprocessed film? Any drawbacks over fridging?
thanks
Gail
MIKI-814

Post by MIKI-814 »

The lower the temperature, the better for film preservation, and the longer it will last. But keep the film sealed in a plastic bag to avoid moisture get into it.

When you need to use the film, take it from the fridge some hours before or the day before, so the film could take normal temperature again, and to avoid condensation and all of that...
GailM

Post by GailM »

thanks for the info/explanation.

Also, I assume what you say in the quote below, also applies to film thats been exposed but not yet processed.
The lower the temperature, the better for film preservation, and the longer it will last. But keep the film sealed in a plastic bag to avoid moisture get into it.
Gail
GailM

Post by GailM »

thanks for the info/explanation.

Also, I assume what you say in the quote below, also applies to film thats been exposed but not yet processed.
Gail