Canon HV20 24P HDV 1080P Clip

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

JCook

Post by JCook »

Picked up an DM-50 microphone last weekend, works well, keeps the tape transport out of the recorded material.

Wide angle and tele-43 lens in the mail. Hopefully the tele will provide enough clean magnification for my workprinter, "thanks Roger."

I looked like a complete dork last weekend with an 35mm SLR, Canon 1014 and an HV20 strung around my neck...yeah I couldn't resist.

If she complains too much I'm saying that it was all your idea Paul! :lol:
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Keep me posted on how that all works out for you.

Thanks,
Paul Cotto
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
JCook

Post by JCook »

I'm still looking for an inexpensive NLE capable of performing reverse pulldown on an HDV 60i stream that contains footage shot in 24P mode via the HV20.

Final Cut Pro and Premiere appear to be the only NLEs on the market which can render differing fps streams in the timeline and perform the pulldown adhoc without the use of third party tools.

Anyone hear of any recent inexpensive NLE software releases that'll work?

I've licensed copies of Vegas and Pinnacle but neither of these currently support pulldown of HDV. I'm guessing that Vegas probably will soon but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be an upgrade and not an update. They get you coming and going!

Thanks, John
super8man

Post by super8man »

What version and what would I be looking for in Vegas 7.0? Unless you have that version.

Let me know if I can be of help.
m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Try MPEG Streamclip, its free.

http://www.squared5.com/

Regards,
Paul Cotto
JCook wrote:I'm still looking for an inexpensive NLE capable of performing reverse pulldown on an HDV 60i stream that contains footage shot in 24P mode via the HV20.

Final Cut Pro and Premiere appear to be the only NLEs on the market which can render differing fps streams in the timeline and perform the pulldown adhoc without the use of third party tools.

Anyone hear of any recent inexpensive NLE software releases that'll work?

I've licensed copies of Vegas and Pinnacle but neither of these currently support pulldown of HDV. I'm guessing that Vegas probably will soon but I'd be willing to bet that it'll be an upgrade and not an update. They get you coming and going!

Thanks, John
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
JCook

Post by JCook »

I have Vegas Home Movie 7.0, just noticed that there's patch out for 8.0, but no mention of 24P rendering in the release notes.

Thanks Paul, I'll take a look at it, however I'm getting lazy in my old age.

I'd prefer to load up the timeline and press render and come back the next morning after this old beater PC has completed chewing on it. I'm trying to avoid succesive time intensive tasks.
super8man

Vegas 7.0a

Post by super8man »

From the help index:
Working with 24p Progressive-Scan Video

You may hear the term 60i used to refer to 29.970 fps, interlaced NTSC video and 50i for 25 fps, interlaced PAL video. Don't worry — these are just different names for formats you're already familiar with. If you'll be working with progressive-scan video, however, the distinction is important.

With interlaced video, each frame is split into two fields that each represent half of the frame period. For example, in a 720 x 480 DV frame, each field contains 240 vertical lines of resolution. For each second of NTSC video, you have 29.970 frames with 59.94 interlaced fields (60i for simplicity). In progressive-scan video, however, each frame contains a full 480 vertical lines of resolution that represent the entire frame period.

Working with progressive-scan video has several advantages over interlaced video:

You can create a frame cadence the same as that of film transferred to video.

24p video can be rendered approximately 2.5 times faster than 60i video.

24p video uses less space on a DVD, allowing you to add more video or use higher-quality video than you could with 60i video.

24p can be easily converted to interlaced video when you render by using a rendering template that adds pulldown.

For more information about 24p video and to determine whether your camera supports it, please refer to the documentation that was provided by your hardware manufacturer.

If you are shooting interlaced video that you plan to convert to 24p, your camera's shutter speed will determine the quality of frame rate conversion in Vegas software:

If you're shooting NTSC or HDV 60i video, set your shutter speed to 1/60 second.

If you're shooting PAL or HDV 50i video, set your shutter speed to 1/50 second.

These settings will provide the smoothest-looking motion possible after conversion. Faster frame rates can produce visibly choppy motion.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you want to do?
Add 24p video to your project
Adding 24p video to your project is just like adding any other supported media file. You'll just need to indicate how you want to handle the files.

Select the Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV check box on the General tab of the Preferences dialog if you want to remove pulldown when you open 24 fps progressive-scan DV video files. When the check box is cleared, 24p video will be read and edited as 29.97 fps interlaced video (60i).

Convert video to 24p
If you want to use existing video with 24p video, you can convert your existing footage.

Right-click a DV AVI file in the Project Media window and choose File Format Properties from the shortcut menu to edit file settings from the file format plug-in associated with the media file type. For 24p NTSC DV AVI files with 2-3 pulldown, you can use this dialog to configure removal of pulldown fields. For more information, click here.

Render a 24p project as a DV AVI file
The DV format cannot store 24p video directly and uses pulldown to convert 24p video to DV format.

Render your project as you normally would as an AVI file, but choose a rendering template to indicate how to handle pulldown fields:

You'll need to choose a rendering template that inserts pulldown fields to create a standard DV file if your project properties are set to 24p or if you selected the Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV check box on the General tab of the Preferences dialog. Use the NTSC DV 24p (inserting 2-3-3-2 pulldown) template if you intend to bring the file back into the Vegas timeline as source material.

If you cleared the Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV check box before adding your media and your project properties are not set to 24p, your 24p video is read as 29.97 fps interlaced video (60i), so you can choose whichever NTSC DV or PAL DV template suits your project requirements.

Prepare 24p files for use in DVD Architect
Render your video as MPEG-2 files using the DVD Architect NTSC video stream template to create 23.976 fps progressive-scan video that DVD Architect will read and burn without recompression.

Create a project in 24p from start to finish
If you have Vegas+DVD software and a 24p camcorder (such as the Panasonic AG-DVX100), you can create, edit, and deliver your project completely in 24p.

With the Panasonic AG-DVX100, shoot in 24p Advanced mode. The 2-3-3-2 pulldown method used in Advanced mode is more efficient than the 2-3 pulldown used in the 24p Standard mode.

Set your project properties:

a. From the File menu, choose Properties. The Project Properties dialog is displayed.

b. From the Template drop-down list, choose NTSC DV 24p.

c. Click OK to close the Project Properties dialog and apply your changes.

Select the Allow pulldown removal when opening 24p DV check box on the General tab of the Preferences dialog.

Add the video to the timeline.

Render or prerender your file using the following settings:

Use the NTSC DV 24p (inserting 2-3-3-2 pulldown) AVI template for prerenders.

Use the NTSC DV 24p (inserting 2-3 pulldown) AVI template for print-to-tape.

Use the DVD Architect 24p NTSC video stream MPEG-2 template when rendering for DVD Architect.

Print your project to tape or burn to DVD using DVD Architect.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
JCook

Post by JCook »

Thanks

I'm trying to strip the HDV footage down, pulldown the 2-3-3-2 frame cadence back to 2-2-2-2 but the current version of Vegas I have doesn't recognize that the HDV m2t file is in fact 24P wrapped in 60i. I remember reading somewhere (AVSForum or DVInfo.net) that the Canon HV20 doesn't add a flag that Vegas is looking for. Also from what I've read from those whove had succes rendering HV20 footage NLEs such as Premiere and FCP can look at the video content to identify if the frame rate is 24P and perform pulldown as required. No flag required.

My plan is to render everything into 24P mpeg2 at full HD resolution. I can play 24P HD material on our home theater PC through our FPTV with no problem.
JCook

Post by JCook »

Paul

Doesn't look like using streamclip to deinterlace and reverse the 3:2 pulldown from the HV20 footage

MPEG-2, 1440 x 1080, 16:9, 29.969999999999999 fps, 25.00 Mbps HDV

TO:
MPEG-2, 1440x 1080, 16:9, 24fps at ~<25mbs

is an option.

John