OT: Pan's Labyrinth

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
npcoombs

OT: Pan's Labyrinth

Post by npcoombs »

Watch it! Uses every Hollywood cliche in the book, but still manages to feel profoundly gripping, original and touching!

I was very impressed by the tightness of the screenwriting.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...okay, also don't miss Almodovar's "Volver" while it is in the cinemas: a filmmaker on par with any of the best....

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:...okay, also don't miss Almodovar's "Volver" while it is in the cinemas: a filmmaker on par with any of the best....

Steve
Yeah caught that a while back - was very good too.

Looking forward to seeing Red Road also this week.
Macnessa

Post by Macnessa »

While you're at it, check out "The Devil's Backbone"--came out a couple of years ago to not much fanfare, but deals with some of the same themes, and I think its just as strong. Del Toro rules.
Chinese Belle

Re: OT: Pan's Labyrinth

Post by Chinese Belle »

npcoombs wrote:Watch it! Uses every Hollywood cliche in the book, but still manages to feel profoundly gripping, original and touching!

I was very impressed by the tightness of the screenwriting.
This was actually intentional. The director wanted to juxtapose accessible paired ideas to deliver a basic political commentary. Fantasy vs war drama. Innocent girl vs war monger. etc. etc.
There are others that can be argued (for one in my opinion and considering the native country of the filmmaker - traditional religion vs colonialism).

I think his artistic goal was to put concepts from the extreme side of the spectrum in order to deliver social commentaries.

You can see this happen in a larger scale with Clint Eastwood's 'Flags' and 'Iwo Jima'

Patriotic event with hesistant heroes with questionable motives.
Sentimentality and humanism for the villains of the same event.

Nevertheless- all great films.

I love Joel Cox' editing!!