Do Dwaynes process sound K40?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

richard p. t.

Do Dwaynes process sound K40?

Post by richard p. t. »

The only issue here is the different shaped cartridge. I was just reading in the latest copy of small format that the Swiss K40 lab de-comissioned their sound cartridge un-spooling machine some time before the 'end' and that their official policy was that they were not accepting sound film of late.
A customer sent me a roll of sound K40 which I will have to send on to Dwaynes. I think they must be able to process it, but i'd just like to confirm it before I send the film over. I have emailed Dwaynes, but if anyone can beat them to an answer to my question I can get the film off today.
cheers,
Richard
I run Nano Lab - Australia's super8 ektachrome processing service
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
super8man

Post by super8man »

I have a roll "in the loop" right now with walmart/dwaynes...will keep you posted when it comes back...actually, I sent in 6 rolls, 2 of shich were sound K40.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Angus

Post by Angus »

The cart probably is not an issue.

THe issue though is that the Swiss Kodak machine had very gentle rollers so as not to damage the stripe at all...Dwayne's might not have that.

Should not really be a problem but they may not guarantee a result as good as Kodak.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
filmbuff

Post by filmbuff »

I sent in several sound cartridges to Dwaynes about 5 years ago and they develped them fine.
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

thanks for the responses people.
richard
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

I thought someone mentioned something about sound carts prior to some year not being processed. Is that true or am I completely out of the loop?
ultramarine

Post by ultramarine »

My last sound carts were sent to the Swiss Lab the very last week before the lab closed. They were processed and returned fine.
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

I just got back some sound carts today, they came out great. Always a relief when you unspool it a bit and don't see a horrible purple cast.
etimh

Post by etimh »

Somewhat off the subject line, but I thought I could get some advice from you guys that have been shooting sound carts. Question is, should I do anything to prep or clean up the mechanism in a sound camera if it hasn't been used for that purpose in a while?

For the holidays this year I'm going to use my 1014XLS to shoot one of the carts of sound K40 I have. The camera is exceptional in every respect but I've never used it for sound shooting. I have all the accessories needed and I'm okay with testing all of the connections, etc. But what about the interior mechanism, do I have to do anything extra in there?

I also have a few carts of sound Ektachrome 160 that I'm thinking of trying--any problems getting this processed through the "normal" channels?

Thanks in advance.

Tim
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

thebigidea wrote:I just got back some sound carts today, they came out great. Always a relief when you unspool it a bit and don't see a horrible purple cast.
Processed at Dwayne's, I'm assuming. What was their expiration date?
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

Yup, Dwayne's via Walmart. Exp dates 88, 91, and a few 98s.

I dropped off a further 20 rolls of 16mm and sound carts, killed my hand filling out the mailers. Better print some labels next time...

They even do the 200 foot carts if you stick them in an envelope and tape a mailer to it. For the same $4.88 price! The price for 16mm kodachrome is a total steal as well...
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

CHAS wrote:I thought someone mentioned something about sound carts prior to some year not being processed. Is that true or am I completely out of the loop?
Its certainly true that Ektachrome film (sound or silent) prior to 1983 is a fundamentally different beast and can't be processed through the usuall channels. Must be processed by Rocky mountains etc and they charge a lot for it.
- visit nanolab.com.au
richard@nanolab.com.au
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

richard p. t. wrote:
CHAS wrote:I thought someone mentioned something about sound carts prior to some year not being processed. Is that true or am I completely out of the loop?
Its certainly true that Ektachrome film (sound or silent) prior to 1983 is a fundamentally different beast and can't be processed through the usuall channels. Must be processed by Rocky mountains etc and they charge a lot for it.
Well I think I'm ok -- I have a few rolls of K40 and Ektachrome sound carts from the mid 80s to early 90s...now all I need is to get a mic hooked up to my Elmo 1012S-XL ....
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Got an e-mail reply from Dwayne's -- sound carts from the mid-80s are ok!

<<I have Kodachrome Super-8 SOUND film that has an expiration date of 1984 and
1985. Would you still be able to process this?

Thank You for your question. Yes, we can.

Please let me know if you require additional assistance.
June Brooks
Dwayne's Photo
PO Box 274
415 S 32nd St
Parsons, KS 67357
http://www.k14movies.com
http://www.dwaynesphoto.com>>

Post by JCook »

K40 sound through Dwayne's isn't a problem, I've sent numerous rolls though them the last few years.

E160 sound, I sent several out last year, think I used Rocky Mountain, don't remember. If someone does process some E160 in the near future please post where they had it processed and how it turned out for future reference.

I've some K40 sound and E160 sound still on ice, broke out my last few rolls of VNF this week, plan to shoot them while I'm out here in Colorado over the next couple of weeks and get them processed before the chemicals are all gone at Spectra.

Regards, happy film shooting, John