batteries and nizo 6080

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

paul

batteries and nizo 6080

Post by paul »

Hi,

I am quite confused; some say for a Nizo 6080, only 1.2 Volts batteries can be used. But then others say 1.5 volts is ok as long as they are Nicads and not NiMh batteries from 1700MA or so. So now I don't know what to use anymore. Can someone help me and give me a complete and final answer please?

Thanks,

Paul
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

What I've done recently with a NIZO 6080 is to buy a 'dummy' AA battery, and then use five 1.5v Alkaline AA's in the remaining spaces in the battery box.

5 x 1.5v = 7.5v

6 x 1.2v = 7.2v

I've run loads of film through using this method, and never had a problem.
kentek

Just buy Wein cells

Post by kentek »

Wein makes a 1.35v batt that replaces the original PX625 & PX13. I bought mine from Amazon.com for <$5.00 each.

The part number is MRB625.
ken wood
tlw sports company, llc
camarillo, ca
Guy Bennett

Re: Just buy Wein cells

Post by Guy Bennett »

kentek wrote:Wein makes a 1.35v batt that replaces the original PX625 & PX13. I bought mine from Amazon.com for <$5.00 each.
I believe they're talking about the cells needed to run the camera, not the light meter.
Mitch Perkins

Re: batteries and nizo 6080

Post by Mitch Perkins »

paul wrote:Hi,

I am quite confused; some say for a Nizo 6080, only 1.2 Volts batteries can be used. But then others say 1.5 volts is ok as long as they are Nicads and not NiMh batteries from 1700MA or so. So now I don't know what to use anymore. Can someone help me and give me a complete and final answer please?

Thanks,

Paul
I owned/used a 6080 for years and ran it off rechargeable 1.5v batteries.

I think you should check the manual, online, or in hand.

Mitch
bakanosaru

Post by bakanosaru »

I didn't think rechargeable AAs were 1.5v (whether Ni-Cad or NiMh).
Aren't they both 1.2v?
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

bakanosaru wrote:I didn't think rechargeable AAs were 1.5v (whether Ni-Cad or NiMh).
Aren't they both 1.2v?
Yeah, probably. [sheepish grin]

Mitch
aj

Post by aj »

It is an old and perpetual subject.

According to the manual you are supposed to use NiCd (7.2v) the circuits can and are damaged by using 9 volt.

The original Nizo powersupply (old and new type) delivers 7.2volt.
Kind regards,

André
paul

Post by paul »

Ok, as long as one has a maximum of 7.2 V, one is ok. If one chooses Nicad or alkaline or NImh is unimportant.

Ok,

Thanks

paul
christoph

Post by christoph »

paul wrote:Ok, as long as one has a maximum of 7.2 V, one is ok. If one chooses Nicad or alkaline or NImh is unimportant.l
rechargables (NiCd and NiMH) are labeled 1.2V but if fully charged and no load is applied they are more like 1.3V. they keep their voltage fairly well as they discharge and drop to 1V at the very end.

alkalies are 1.5V, but soon drop in voltage, to about 0.7V at the end of their life. alkalies can be recharged as well. although you need a special charger and some batteries work better than others (and some might explode ;).

i've run my nizo 4080 and 6056 on 6x1.5V alkalies before with no problems, (and my manual doesnt seem to say anything against it), but there were others which reported damaged circuits.
so i try to avoid it if possible, as NiCd/NiMH are more powerful (higher current) and cheaper in the long run.
++ christoph ++
matt5791

Post by matt5791 »

I had a 6080 which I ran on 1.5 disposables initially with no problems, but subsequently switchedt o 1.2v rechargeables

However I concur with Christoph - I think the way the disposables discharge is a factor to think about. I know that this is a real problem with small digital still cameras - people put 1.5 disposables in them and then wonder why they dont work after a very short time.
Birmingham UK.
http://www.wells-photography.co.uk
Avatar: Kenneth Moore (left) with producers (centre) discussing forthcoming film to be financed by my grandfather (right) C.1962
paul

Post by paul »

I think I will use always one "dummy" battery in the 6080. This way I will always be safe with the voltage. I think this is the best "no risk" policy in this matter.