E64T MIXED RESULTS

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

charles8

E64T MIXED RESULTS

Post by charles8 »

I have just had my first two rolls returned, and upon viewing them I have mixed feelings about this film, it looks better in certain shots, and terrible in others, the 85B filter seems to overdo the warmness of some scenes, it may be better without this, I am going to use Cinevia next and hope this film will be an improvement, if not it will be the end of my super 8 days, and I have been using it since 1980.
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Charles Ihaven't used it yet - but with the filter inplace do you find that you are getting radically different results under heavy cloud cover than you are under normal daylight?

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Mogzy

Re: E64T MIXED RESULTS

Post by Mogzy »

charles8 wrote: I am going to use Cinevia next and hope this film will be an improvement, if not it will be the end of my super 8 days, and I have been using it since 1980.
Before you decide to end your Super 8 days if Cinevia is not your cup-of-tea, make sure you try Ektachrome 100D from Wittner or Pro8. It's truly delightful.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I've gotten a couple rolls of E64T processed, but haven't been able to view them yet as they're on the end of a 400' reel and my viewer is missing a couple pieces. So I'm sending off for transfer to video shortly.
Robert Hughes
charles8

Post by charles8 »

Yes. the results differ, under some circumstances it looks sharp, I will try and post some clips later, shots of people in good sunlight have turned out very warm looking, the colours are good, grain very noticeable, like ants dancing on the screen, and as I use a Kowa PA35 lens in front of my Nizo 6056 this may also exagerate the grain, K40 was fine. I also prefer a processed paid film, as Cinevia is, it is easier for me to pay for everything up front.
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Mogzy wrote: Before you decide to end your Super 8 days if Cinevia is not your cup-of-tea, make sure you try Ektachrome 100D from Wittner
If you have a decade or two to wait for your order, that is. Factor in a couple extra years between email replies from them.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Arislan wrote:
Mogzy wrote: Before you decide to end your Super 8 days if Cinevia is not your cup-of-tea, make sure you try Ektachrome 100D from Wittner
If you have a decade or two to wait for your order, that is. Factor in a couple extra years between email replies from them.
You must be talking about Kahl, not Wittner. Wittner will even reply to your mails in the middle of a Sunday night.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Rachel Oliver

Post by Rachel Oliver »

Hi;

I totally agree about Wittner, they responded very quickly to my order and across the weekend too on a sunday evening!

Olly
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Kodak may offer 100D 7285. So don't give up on S8 yet.

J.S.
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

Rachel Oliver wrote:Hi;

I totally agree about Wittner, they responded very quickly to my order and across the weekend too on a sunday evening!

Olly
They seem to be quite selective of when to respond to customers, as usually they will either reply very quickly or not reply at all, ever. I myself have dealt with them in the past only to be told they were too busy to sell me any film. I was going to buy a Supermag 400 but I am glad I didn't because I would have found it impossible to order from Wittner.
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
Rachel Oliver

Post by Rachel Oliver »

Arislan wrote:
Rachel Oliver wrote:Hi;

Olly
They seem to be quite selective of when to respond to customers, as usually they will either reply very quickly or not reply at all, ever. I myself have dealt with them in the past only to be told they were too busy to sell me any film. I was going to buy a Supermag 400 but I am glad I didn't because I would have found it impossible to order from Wittner.
Hi;

That's a shame as they seem a bright little out-fit... I found actually ordering from their online order sheet prompted an email conversation to which I then confirmed my order after a few questions.

Olly
metaT8

Post by metaT8 »

I've been experimenting with 64t for a few weeks now.
I still have some K40 so I've been shooting both & processing them at the same time at Dwayne's in Kansas.

My biggest problem with 64T is the grain. I have to remember not to aim the camera at the sky for landscapes, which is a shame. The grain is just too pronounced to shoot anything that has large even areas.

The other thing I noticed was that the film condition itself seems very poor. It's very dirty compared to K40. I've never had to think too much about cleaning the film before transfer because I usually don't mind the occasional random artifact or flaw. But this filth just seems to be a feature of the film now. Both were processed at Dwayne's on the same day so I don't think it was that. I guess I'll have to experiment with cleaning methods.

Another problem I had with at least one cart is severe registration problems. I shot a few rolls of Plus X, K40 and 64T with my Sankyo ES 66-XL and everything registered fine except the 64T. Bummer.

For me it's no contest. K40 is clearly superior. I have High Hopes for 100D.

RIP K40, you are deeply missed.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

MetaT8, don't forget about Velvia50D.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
metaT8

Post by metaT8 »

[quote="tlatosmd"]MetaT8, don't forget about Velvia50D.[/quote]
I'm sure I'll try that as well but... $$$ !
Twice the price of K40.

Is Spectra the only source?

m
Taelon

Post by Taelon »

Dwayne's itself might have been the cause for your dirty 64T film. I've heard (sporadic) reports of this happening in recent months, but I believe Dwayne's figured out the problem and corrected it. My own 64T film came back perfectly clean and remains so after several screenings.
Remember, even though your 64T and K40 film were processed the same day, they must have run through different machines because of their different processes.