cel animation in R8?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tr0x

cel animation in R8?

Post by tr0x »

Hi, my sister would like to make a little short, using cel animation...
Can i use a Regular 8mm camera?
I mean, how good can be the results?
I've the bolex B8L, a couple of primes and a pan-cinor reflex zoom.
Otherwise i've a 514XL-S, so i can use Super8.
Also, i've thought about using an H16, but it turns quite expensive (film, development, telecine) and i have to buy all the equipment needed (at least a camera+lenses).

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

bye.

tr0x
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

If you have access to 16mm, I'd recommend shooting with a Bolex H16. The frame is several times larger than R8 for a much clearer image, and the amount of film you'll use in cel animation is trivial compared to the time you'll spend hand animating. You'd spend all day shooting 50' of 16mm film.

You can use R8. Just don't expect much.
Robert Hughes
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

If you have access to 16mm, I'd recommend shooting with a Bolex H16. The frame is several times larger than R8 for a much clearer image, and the amount of film you'll use in cel animation is trivial compared to the time you'll spend hand animating. You'd spend all day shooting 50' of 16mm film.
...i have to buy all the equipment from scratch, too expensive!
You can use R8. Just don't expect much.
I forgot to say that the output format will be dvd video or a VHS tape. I've thought about making a film projection, but it turns too expensive and i'll have sound sync problems since i don't have a R8 sound projector!

Anyway, as filmstock source i'll use wittner, so i can shoot using K25, K40, VNF7240 and 100D.
Should i use K25 to minimize grain or is it better to use 100D (never tried that!)?
Thanks,

bye.

tr0x
hellesdonfilms

Post by hellesdonfilms »

I've the bolex B8L, a couple of primes and a pan-cinor reflex zoom.
Otherwise i've a 514XL-S, so i can use Super8.
I would think the prime lenses would give you the best results

The things i would say about the camera is that being spring wound you may notice a difference in exposure when the spring gets to the end of it's wind. Also spring wind can be tricky doing animation because you don't want it to wind down halfway through a scene because you will have to move it to wind it up again. Which will be noticable in the film.
Anyway, as filmstock source i'll use wittner, so i can shoot using K25, K40, VNF7240 and 100D.
Should i use K25 to minimize grain or is it better to use 100D (never tried that!)?
100D & K25 are outdoor stocks, which you could filter for indoor but maybe difficult to do. I assume being animation you would be doing it under artificial light? So I would go with K40, i've had good animation results with it in Super 8 format.

Good luck with the film. Let us know how it turns out.
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

The things i would say about the camera is that being spring wound you may notice a difference in exposure when the spring gets to the end of it's wind. Also spring wind can be tricky doing animation because you don't want it to wind down halfway through a scene because you will have to move it to wind it up again. Which will be noticable in the film.
I've just done a test and with the full wound spring i have about 300 frames that at 24fps is about 12sec... not that much...
The plot is in an early stage of development, so i don't know how long must be each scene, but i think that i'll wind up the spring each time the framing changes...
100D & K25 are outdoor stocks, which you could filter for indoor but maybe difficult to do. I assume being animation you would be doing it under artificial light? So I would go with K40, i've had good animation results with it in Super 8 format.
Ok, thanks!

Good luck with the film. Let us know how it turns out.
Yeah, thanks, i'm just waiting for my sister's work, since she'll actually draw all the characters, backgrounds, etc...

bye.

tr0x
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

You say it's going to be cel animation? Does that mean inking and painting animation cels? That will take a lot of time. I should know, I've done it. But at least you'll have something to reshoot in 16mm later when you could afford it and want the better quality.

I'm making an animated cartoon for a film festival next year. It will be handdrawn but the coloring will be done digitally in an ink and paint program. I'll film it frame by frame off my monitor with my 16mm Bolex and have the soundtrack transfered for an eventual optical print.
Arislan

Post by Arislan »

tr0x wrote:
Anyway, as filmstock source i'll use wittner,
I see, so you are planning to shoot this in 2025, is that it?
"Here we all are, all our nationalities chatting and joking on a forum- two or three generations ago we were blowing each other up! "
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Arislan wrote:
tr0x wrote:
Wittner usually delivers within 3-4 days.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
tr0x

Post by tr0x »

Arislan wrote:
tr0x wrote:
At the moment i don't know, but probably i'll use kodachrome 40, since i have artificial light sources.

bye.

tr0x