K40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kentek

K40

Post by kentek »

I found a source for some of the last K40 film stock.
They want $22/cart.
They know i's the last stuff.

About a 50% upcharge. Is it worth it?
ken wood
tlw sports company, llc
camarillo, ca
richard p. t.

Post by richard p. t. »

For that money you could use 100d or Velvia. I wouldn't bother with it myself.
JCook

Post by JCook »

It depends upon the shipping charges/cart and whether you have access to walmart $4.88/cart processing or not.

At that price for comparison sakes the Velvia and 100D would be closer to $40 compared to almost $30 for K40, if you have Walmart processing access.

If you're financially strapped and can process via Walmart K40 at that price is a no brainer.

I love the cheap K40, I bought it by the case when it was still available, and I shoot it all the time but my stockpile is now running low. However I'd love to get my hands on some KODAK released, less expensive, Super 8 100D.

KODAK, SUPER 8 100D, are you listening, hello Kodak, anyone home?

Regards, John

P.S. PM me with your source, I wouldn't mind acquiring a few more K40 carts.
Angus

Post by Angus »

Depends on how highly you regard the look and archival properties of Kodachrome.

Remember Wittner in Germany are selling Wittnerchrome 40 also.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

kentek wrote:
Is it worth it?
I had 2 brand new carts of K40 in the fridge. The K40 is discontinued so why bother shooting it. So I put the 2 carts on eBay with a "Buy It Now" of $55 (that I originally paid $14 each from Dwayne's) and somebody actually bought them. What you should do is buy a few from your source and re-sell them on eBay for profit....somebody will most likely pay for them. I probably could have made more than $55!
So, is it worht it? For the K40? NO. To resell and make profit? YES.
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

Damn, really? $55 for 2? I've still got 10 carts in my freezer, ordered direct from Kodak and stored cold in the original box. Now I know what to do with them!!! :twisted:
sooper8fan

Post by sooper8fan »

ccortez, seriously....put them on ebay in bundles of 2 or 3....i bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.
photo site: http://www.zelophoto.com
photo blog: http://www.zelophotoblog.com
John_Pytlak

Post by John_Pytlak »

My "grapevine" is telling me that the deadline for having Super-8 KODACHROME processed by the Kodak lab in Switzerland is being extended to late September, but a definite date for discontinuing ALL KODACHROME processing at the lab will be announced soon.

Stay tuned.
John Pytlak
EI Customer Technical Services
Research Lab, Building 69
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-1922 USA
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

John_Pytlak wrote:My "grapevine" is telling me that the deadline for having Super-8 KODACHROME processed by the Kodak lab in Switzerland is being extended to late September, but a definite date for discontinuing ALL KODACHROME processing at the lab will be announced soon.

Stay tuned.
Is this true for R8 K-25 as well? I have some "CineChrome 25" R8 that I bought process paid from John Schwind. Will the PP mailer send it to Switzerland currently, and will they process it?
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Ever Wittner's messages are getting somewhat confusing on this. They used to say after the deadline has ended, people can send their remaining K40 and their Wittnerchrome40 to them so they can send it to Dwayne's. But now they suddenly say they won't re-direct those films to Dwayne's but to the same old Swiss Kodak address for another few years, only that it'll cost money then.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

triple post :oops:
Last edited by tlatosmd on Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Simon

tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

triple post :oops:
Paul Simon

monobath

Post by monobath »

I still have more than 50 carts of K40 in my freezer. I hope Dwayne's and Wal-Mart will continue processing it after September when the Kodak lab in Switzerland shuts down.

Dang. My Beaulieu 6008 won't hold focus when zooming anymore. I guess I need to drag out the 'ol Elmo 1012 S-XL or maybe my clockwork Quarz and start shooting some more important footage of fire hydrants and flowers before I run outta time.
Skip
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

John P. If the Swiss lab is closing for ALL Kodachrome processing, does that mean that all kodachrome--16mm and 35 mm----will be discontinued? What does the grapevine tell you?

John S.
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

Since we are on the subject of dwayne's and Walmart, I have learned that Dwayne's will not process E6 S8 or R8 through FUJI or Walmart. And furthermore do not intend to offer that service.

Maybe if Dwayne's got enough comments from customers, they would reconsider. Maybe a call or letter on the subject would be helpful.

J.S.