my first roll of super 8!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

davta9

my first roll of super 8!

Post by davta9 »

this is my first roll of super 8. i found a roll of old Kodachrome in a camera i bought at a thrift store many months back. not knowing if it would even turn out i shot some random footage of my friend and I skateboarding and my girlfriend at the beach. it ended up turning out sepia toned and very light. only a few objects turned up in color such as some ladies red hair and a guys t shirt. anyway my school puts super 8 to mini DV for free so here is how it turned out

this footage probably could be improved in a video program but i just cleaned my hard drive of all my video apps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN-yia9Zm6w

this is the whole roll..i didnt cut anything out.

enjoy
:)
-David
yolia

Post by yolia »

cool stuff. thanks for sharing it. the image seemed to improve a little toward the end of the roll--or maybe i just got used to it. i like your girlfriend. :wink:
threeinv

Post by threeinv »

I love your choice of music. It lends a dream-like effect, especially to the beach scenes. Despite the imperfect image quality, the beach footage would work nicely as a flashback in a longer piece. Thanks for sharing!

--Derrick
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

Nice stuff, luv the style and look and also the faded colours with the angled telecine frame. I'm shooting quite a bit of 1979 Kodachrome with that look. Kodak swiss labs keeps giving me a yellow card when my rolls come back.

Sidewalk skatebording is illegal in my town center. Our government wants outlaw kids wearing hooded sweatshirts. I was recently repremanded by the authorities for telling my students to film and take photos on campus.

http://www.thenewspaper.org.uk/home/pg000324.php

Gianni 8)
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Congrats Davta! That's exactly how I got into S8 as well. :)

I suppose your footage was pretty pinkish/magenta prior to telecining so your school even applied a basic color correction to it for free. All you need now would be some levels and saturation correction.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
davta9

Post by davta9 »

"Sidewalk skateboarding is illegal in my town center. Our government wants outlaw kids wearing hooded sweatshirts. I was recently repremanded by the authorities for telling my students to film and take photos on campus."

holly crap! thats the saddest thing i've ever heard. it really sucks because now that i'm getting older i dont have too much time to skateboard anymore...but when i do get too its like a whole different world. i walk into a store and they think i'm going to steal just because i have a skateboard. i take the subway and people look. any other day without my board it wouldn't be a problem. San Francisco is not too bad though because there are way too many other things to worry about such as people yelling out loud for no reason and pan handlers. but yeah thats completely sad about them making it illegal. some of the skateboarders i know are the nicest drug free people i've ever met.

yeah i would have done the levels thing but i dont have a video program on my computer right now that will do anything more then black and white or slow motion :?

"I love your choice of music. It lends a dream-like effect, especially to the beach scenes."

thanks. i'll definitely shoot some more. this roll only makes me want to try new things and "new film" too :oops:

"the image seemed to improve a little toward the end of the roll--or maybe i just got used to it."

yeah i started to expose it manually at the end. a full stop over what it was indicating. i had a handheld meter that i use for still photography with me.

does anyone know what Kodak direct charges for 64T if your a student?
NorCalRiviera

Post by NorCalRiviera »

I really dig your first roll, man. Plus the fact that I totally recognized SF there, too! Music was a great touch. I've just come into possession of my first 8mm camera and some unused film from late '76, so I'll be interested to see how it looks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/norcalriviera
http://norcalriviera.blogspot.com

Bolex S1
B&H Filmo Sportster
1946 Ampro Projector

"Life is not a paragraph." -seen on a wall in Oxford, England
thebigidea

Post by thebigidea »

I think 64T was 10 or 11 dollars, something like that with the discount.
avr

Post by avr »

nice stuff, the music is awesome. which is the author of the music?

thanks and welcome to small gauge format :wink:
El Jeffe

Post by El Jeffe »

No complys and music from a Gondry Film!!!! The song is from "eternal sunshine of the spotless mind" not sure who composed it though.

Diggin it!!!