What are you doing?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

switar king wrote:I am shooting my next short on June 18 & 25 titled "THE CHEATERS BLOODLINE".
Oh no, not another Dan Brown rip-off! :lol:
JPolzfuß wrote:Of course the film is only a "short" (approx. 20min) and all "actors" are "only" some more or less talented friends... (The acting ain't that bad, but the dialogues sound rather crappy - including my own sentences ;) )
Need a dialogue coach who'll edit your script lines to rectify them for you? ;)
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
mattias

Post by mattias »

no super 8 but i'm 1st ad'ing on a feature this summer. just made the world's largest "inverse" post-it by spraying a big sheet of foamcore with re-mount glue. fanstastic planning device and message board combined.

/matt
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

tlatosmd wrote:Need a dialogue coach who'll edit your script lines to rectify them for you? ;)
It's more a problem with the pronounciation - we'll either sound completely neutral (even though the script states "angry" or something like that) or we're "overdoing" it :(
This space was left intenionally blank.
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

I am at the beginning of a two years leave of absence to shoot my first film in super 8. (About a hour of material). The story is ready. Need to find actors now...

So right now I am shooting tests (mainly lighting tests) and building miniatures.

Francois
Sasounet
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

Sasounet wrote:I am at the beginning of a two years leave of absence to shoot my first film in super 8. (About a hour of material).
Cool. You're shooting an hour of material. So what are you going to do the other 729 days, 23 hours?

As the art professors say, "It's not a vacation, honey, it's a sabbatical!"
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

In the middle of shooting my 20 minute 16mm short. Scheduling shoots around everyone's availability is a bitch...
Sasounet

Post by Sasounet »

audadvnc wrote:Cool. You're shooting an hour of material. So what are you going to do the other 729 days, 23 hours?
You made me laugh with this one! Your not the first one to ask you see :-)

Francois
Sasounet
Dr_Strangelove

Post by Dr_Strangelove »

Evan Kubota wrote:In the middle of shooting my 20 minute 16mm short. Scheduling shoots around everyone's availability is a bitch...
I know what you mean Evan, I've been haing problems schedual everything myself. Every one is so damn busy, you think theres time to shoot a scene but there isnt. Its especially a big problem with those who arent as dedicated as others...
Rick Palidwor

Post by Rick Palidwor »

First of all, nothing wrong with tests and debates, and nothing wrong with home-movies, so I don't really jive with the tone of the original question, but since you ask:

Aside from feature Sleep Always (shot entirely on super 8 with Mitch Perkins) I have made about 100 shorts, mostly shot on super 8 (a few on 16mm, a few on video, including pixel vision). As many as 50 of the shorts were on TV simultaneously here in Canada. And they all have a beginning, middle and end.

Keep the tests and debates going, although I'll admit I get tired of the excessive "x device is y percent sharper than z gizmo". Like Paul Cotto says, don't worry about the gear so much and shoot your movie. A motto to live (and shoot) by.

Rick
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

There once was a young man named Cotto,
Whose signature was the top motto,
"make your story and plot,
with equipment you've got!"
Which would piss off some gear heads like Santo.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

well, this is a discussion board, and there's more to discuss when you've figureing out how you're gonna film stuff, doing tests, learning how things work etc. Once you are actually immersed in the creative stuff you'd have no time to post on messageboards, and when you've finished there's usually not so much discussion beyond 'congradulations, you made a film'! :)
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Dr_Strangelove wrote:
Evan Kubota wrote:In the middle of shooting my 20 minute 16mm short. Scheduling shoots around everyone's availability is a bitch...
I know what you mean Evan, I've been haing problems schedual everything myself. Every one is so damn busy, you think theres time to shoot a scene but there isnt. Its especially a big problem with those who arent as dedicated as others...
Wait, that sounds really too familiar right now (my 16mm short is delayed now not because of the filter/tripod but actors...)
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Some of the reasons I've had for not shooting much in the past 2 weeks are funny.

Apart from actor availability, I've been looking for a whole fish, entrails included. The reason is because a character has to clean it in the scene. These are surprisingly hard to find unless you live in a coastal town and can buy it from a landing fisherman, as they are usually cleaned immediately at shore before shipping to markets. Any suggestions?

For now I've rewritten the scene, but I still have some time to figure it out.
tlatosmd

Post by tlatosmd »

Evan Kubota wrote:Apart from actor availability, I've been looking for a whole fish, entrails included. The reason is because a character has to clean it in the scene. These are surprisingly hard to find unless you live in a coastal town and can buy it from a landing fisherman, as they are usually cleaned immediately at shore before shipping to markets. Any suggestions?
After 10 minutes of googling:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/Rfil-H1vJ1xc8oRzwUnQLA

http://www.sunsetfoods.com/specialty_trays.php

http://www.maimiti.pn/Catalogue.htm

http://www.worxradio.com/lhmrecipes.html

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Jw ... lnk&cd=126

http://www.foodscience.afisc.csiro.au/seafoods.htm

You could make it dirty so it could be cleaned.
"Mama don't take my Kodachrome away!" -
Paul Simon

Chosen tools of the trade:
Bauer S209XL, Revue Sound CS60AF, Canon 310XL

The Beatles split up in 1970; long live The Beatles!
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

I think you misunderstood.

'Whole' fish (with heads and tails and backbone) are available easily from my local market. For this scene I need a fish that still has its internal organs, so it can be gutted on-camera.