Andrzej Zulawski

This is a forum about filmmaking. No tech discussions here!
Evan Kubota

Andrzej Zulawski

Post by Evan Kubota »

Any other Zulawski-philes here? "The Silver Globe" is possibly the most astonishing science fiction film ever made, and "Possession" is one of my favorite films of the 1980s. I recently saw "L'Important c'est d'aimer" (in a bad English dub with Finnish subtitles, nth generation VHS copy) and this was also very compelling and sharply realized.
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Possession is INCREDIBLE

I discovered it a while back, bought it on the strength of an interview with Shojik Fukui (964 Pinnochio) who said it was his favorite film... and was blown away to find this connection/precursor to Japanese 'cyberpunk' films of Fukui and Tsukamoto etc...

Silver Globe is really interesting but I kind of just skimmed thru my bootleg copy as it had only german subtitles so I have no idea what was going on :) but it looked amazing. Another Japanese sci-fi connection, apparently it's one of Oshii's favorite films and inspired Avalon quite a lot, and in fact he used the same costume designer in that film.

Realllly need to see more Zulawski!
Tim Drage
films - http:///www.spiteyourface.com
noise - http://www.cementimental.com

"It's cheaper to shoot someone with a gun than a film camera." - amishman35
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Check out Szamanka and La Fidélité, both of which are available from HK on all-region DVDs (and both of which reiterate many of the themes of Possession, quite literally). I can't even say what my favorite Zulawski film is, other than The Silver Globe. I didn't know Oshii used the same costume designer, but it doesn't surprise me. The visuals were at times clearly inspired by chambara...
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

Cool, will definitely get hold of those some time...