K25 vs K40 I'm so confused

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

yosemitesamiam

K25 vs K40 I'm so confused

Post by yosemitesamiam »

Hi, so I'm reading, and reading and reading. I just started my quest to shoot 8mm film...so I'm reading, and this is what I found....(no amazing discovery since you all already knew this).

Kodak stopped producing the K25 double rolls for my regular 8 camera.
But they said that K40 rolls for Super 8 will work if you use a #85 tungsten filter?

Am I reading this correctly?

Also...how much stock is really left in the K25 film? Enough to last 4 months? Or enough to last 4 years? Anyone know?

Thanks

Sam
Kodachrome_Kid_40

Post by Kodachrome_Kid_40 »

Kodachrome 25 was its original name, until it was changed to Cinechrome 25 some time back. Kodachrome 40 was the last of the original Kodachrome Double 8mm series and was stopped either in the late 80's or early 90's. Cincechrome is the only fresh and new one in exsistence, but I don't know how much is left. It is expensive for something that only lasts around 5 minutes becuase of its complex emulsions. Typical range is from 12-20 dollars. Kodachrome 40 in an old expired date is the cheapest to be done as long as you find an unopen box that has hopefully been kept in a cool dark, and very little mositured area past its expiration date. Kodahcrome 40 can be developed only in Kansas for the cheapest price and Cinechrome seems to be developed in PA for the cheapest price, but others do develope it. Super 8 does not work in any Double 8mm camera there are no adapters or filters for your camera becuase Super 8 is a cartrige that looks like a square unlike a circular spool of Double 8mm. The filter 85 is a lens cap colored and clamped onto camera lenses that were Super 8 and didn't have the built in filters.
paulcotto

Re: K25 vs K40 I'm so confused

Post by paulcotto »

yosemitesamiam wrote:Hi, so I'm reading, and reading and reading. I just started my quest to shoot 8mm film...so I'm reading, and this is what I found....(no amazing discovery since you all already knew this).

Kodak stopped producing the K25 double rolls for my regular 8 camera.
But they said that K40 rolls for Super 8 will work if you use a #85 tungsten filter?

Am I reading this correctly?

Also...how much stock is really left in the K25 film? Enough to last 4 months? Or enough to last 4 years? Anyone know?

Thanks

Sam

K-40 Super-8 will not work in your regular-8 camera. The good news is John Schwind sells 3 types of regular-8 film one of which is K-25. Yes Kodak stopped making K-25 film this year but John Schwind still has a some in stock. You should contack him and place an order. Luky for all of us he is a first class nice guy and doesn't overprice his film. If you buy from someone else they most likely bought it from John and marked it up! Here is his email address.

aschwind@operamail.com

regards,
Paul Cotto
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!

Re: K25 vs K40 I'm so confused

Post by Guest »

K-40 Super-8 will not work in your regular-8 camera. The good news is John Schwind sells 3 types of regular-8 film one of which is K-25. Yes Kodak stopped making K-25 film this year but John Schwind still has a some in stock. You should contack him and place an order. Luky for all of us he is a first class nice guy and doesn't overprice his film. If you buy from someone else they most likely bought it from John and marked it up! Here is his email address.

aschwind@operamail.com

regards,
Paul Cotto
so once the kodak brand runs out, what are we left with? you mentioned 3 types of reg.8 film...are those other two companies still mass producing?

thanks and sorry for my grammar and typing, as i am holding a newborn in one arm as i type...the subject for my movie shoots!

-sam
yosemitesamiam

film ?

Post by yosemitesamiam »

Okay, so on John's website he lists a couple different films. One is the cinechrome 25, cinex50, cinecolor125 and fomapan r-100. These he says are okay for Bolex H8 cameras. These are the regular 8 films I do want right?

Then he lists Double Super 8mm as Fomapan r-100, Kodachrome 25, These he says are good for Bolex DS8 cameras. These are the Super 8 films I don't want, correct?

Also, is it just the Cinechrome 25 that is slowly disappearing for us? Or is it all of them including the Cinecolor 125 and the Fomapan R-100/ CineX 50?

Post by Guest »

When The k25 runs out I do not see why they will not be able to perf K40 for reg 8mm.
Angus

Post by Angus »

When the cinechrome 25 runs out I expect John will do a Cinechrome 40 instead.

The cinecolor125 is derived from Eastman Ektachrome 7240 stock and will not run out because this film is in current production. The cinex50 is Kodak plus-x and is in current production so no supply problems there either.

Fomapan R100 is manufactured by Foma Bohemia of the Czech Republic and is a current brand new film, gorgeous B&W emulsion when processed correctly.

Super 8 and double super 8 are not the same but as far as your R8 camera goes neither will work. For the time being you are limited to Cinechrome 25 (or 40 in the future), Cinecolor 125, cinex50 and FomapanR 100 which should come on 25 foot daylight loading spools for your camera.
yosemitesamiam

k25 and the rest

Post by yosemitesamiam »

So really there is no problem ever finding film...which is really good to hear. The only problem I forsee is the running out of K25 before the K40 is ready on spools. Otherwise, we will all be using B&W for a while until they do!

This definately brings a relief to me...

Will my camera shoot 100 foot spools?

Why is super double 8mm different than regular 8mm film? So what you are saying is that there are 3 types....regular, super regular, and super?

Sounds like how I buy my gas!
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

No, there are two types of 8mm film. Regular 8mm has larger sprocket holes and a smaller frame since it is derived from 16mm (double regular 8mm). Super 8mm has smaller sprockets and a larger frame. Double Super 8mm film (16mm wide) will mostly work in Double Super 8 converted Bolex H-8s. What specific model is your camera? If it is an H-8 it should take the larger 100 foot spools. You can also put the smaller 25 foot spools in it. Smaller 8mm cameras can only take 25 foot spools.
yosemitesamiam

Post by yosemitesamiam »

Herb Montes wrote:No, there are two types of 8mm film. Regular 8mm has larger sprocket holes and a smaller frame since it is derived from 16mm (double regular 8mm). Super 8mm has smaller sprockets and a larger frame. Double Super 8mm film (16mm wide) will mostly work in Double Super 8 converted Bolex H-8s. What specific model is your camera? If it is an H-8 it should take the larger 100 foot spools. You can also put the smaller 25 foot spools in it. Smaller 8mm cameras can only take 25 foot spools.
Well, since I don't have the camera yet, I can't for sure say. It was listed on eBay as a D8L as part of a "H8 movie package"...which was confusing...so I guess we will have to wait and see tomorrow on that one.

As for the Double Super 8...that makes perfect sense now...just double wide super 8....hehe...man, I have a ton to learn! And unlike the digital world (that I've been used to for my still shots) I'm not going to get instant feedback or gratification here....gotta shoot a roll and wait a couple weeks!

Thanks again...Sam
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

The best way to learn is to shoot film and make mistakes. :wink:
yosemitesamiam

my camera is almost here!

Post by yosemitesamiam »

I checked UPS to see "just in case." And sure enough! They are delivering today instead of tomorrow!!! WWWOOOOHOOOOO!!!!

Re: k25 and the rest

Post by Guest »

yosemitesamiam wrote:So really there is no problem ever finding film...which is really good to hear. The only problem I forsee is the running out of K25 before the K40 is ready on spools. Otherwise, we will all be using B&W for a while until they do!

This definately brings a relief to me...

Will my camera shoot 100 foot spools?

Why is super double 8mm different than regular 8mm film? So what you are saying is that there are 3 types....regular, super regular, and super?

Sounds like how I buy my gas!
I was told by Mr. Swind last weeek that Kodak WILL NOT make double super-8 in K-40 so I wonder if that means they won't make 8mm also :?

Regards,
Paul Cotto