EKTACHROME 100D and Velvia

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

roxics

EKTACHROME 100D and Velvia

Post by roxics »

Does anyone know if you can get these in 16mm anywhere? Also where would you process them in the US?
alan doyle

Re: EKTACHROME 100D and Velvia

Post by alan doyle »

roxics wrote:Does anyone know if you can get these in 16mm anywhere? Also where would you process them in the US?

kodak ektachrome 100,will be out in a couple of months in 16mm in the usa.
yale labs can process in burbank calif.
fuji velvia is only availlable for very long custom lengths.
you might end up spending many thousands getting fuji interested.
i shoot and sometimes i score
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Finally 100D in 16mm!!! I ahve been waiting for that stock in 16mm since it came out and I shot a test load. There are a bunch of labs for that film if you don't want to use Yale. Just look at the Kodak website.

Good Luck
roxics

Post by roxics »

Thanks guys
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

Nigel

Do you think this film ( or a modified version to improve grain even at the sacrifice to speed) could be a Kodachrome competitor if released in the S-8mm and R-8mm formats? Interested on your opinions to this stock.

David M. Leugers

Post by Guest »

Where did you get info that it was coming out in 16mm? There's an enormous obstacle -- there is NO processing infrastructure for E-6 in 16mm, only 35mm. So it seems exceptionally unlikely that either E100D or Velvia would come out in 16mm. I'd be glad if it did, just don't think it's possible -- has there been a formal announcement that I missed somewhere?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Well, out of the eight labs in the USA that process the film at least two of them are running 16mm for sure in neg stocks. If they can run 16mm E6 I don't know.

I hope to hell that they can since every time I see my Kodak Rep I tell him that I want 100D in 16mm and Super8. I think it could take the place of K40 and most people in the end would like it more(My Opinion). With the 7240 for a tungsten and then with 5285 for a daylight Super8 could move forward in the world of reversal--Instead of banking on 50 plus year old film.

I love Kodachrome and hope that Kodak never truly kills it off. However, I know that there are much better stocks out there that look every bit as nice. The question is will Kodak let the market decide which will carry on?? And, if so what will the people pick??

Good Luck
alan doyle

film stuff

Post by alan doyle »

Anonymous wrote:Where did you get info that it was coming out in 16mm? There's an enormous obstacle -- there is NO processing infrastructure for E-6 in 16mm, only 35mm. So it seems exceptionally unlikely that either E100D or Velvia would come out in 16mm. I'd be glad if it did, just don't think it's possible -- has there been a formal announcement that I missed somewhere?
hi ya,the processings been a big problem,for kodak.
but tests are going on right now,with kodak ektachrome.
i have some here now in london, 800 feet of 16mm.
fuji are just not interested,i think the stills films they produce are better than kodaks.certainly the grain structure of velvia and the provia 100f,
and the brand new velvia 100asa ,are stunning.
the best we can hope for is to hassle kodak and get them to replace old ekta super 8 with new ektachrome.
this would not be a replacement for k40. kodak simply has no product to come near to the quality of k40. fuji velvia has come close and i'm sure velvia 100 will match k40,but officially fuji film in a kodak cartridge it's not gonna happen.
i shoot and sometimes i score