HELP QUICK!! KODAK VISION2 200T Question!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

PHILIE-T

HELP QUICK!! KODAK VISION2 200T Question!

Post by PHILIE-T »

I am about to go to a forrest with my girlfriend. I have a decent enough Nizo Camera. I havn't shot much film before. But can either of these films be used outside? I must sound like a idiot but i am. Which would you recommend? Someone said i would need a ND filter? is this true? does that mean i have to buy one? Please help.... Any other points that will save me spending loads of money getting this processed to find its all white or something nasty!

KODAK VISION2 200T Color Negative Film 7217

KODAK VISION2 500T Color Negative Film 7218
Freya

Post by Freya »

Yes they can be used outside but you will have to use the daylight filter built into your S8 camera. Often this is a picture of a little sun instead of a lightbulb but I've never seen a nizo so I don't know.

If you a planning on using the auto exposure in the camera then you want the 200T and not the 500T as the latter will not work with auto exposure.

500T might also be very fast if it is a sunny day and you might need a ND filter whereas I suspect there would be about enough light for the camera with 200T but I guess it depends how dark the forest is!

Anyway 200T seems the way to go.

love

Freya
Angus

Post by Angus »

IF you have an XL camera, chances are 500T will be overexposed in all outdoor conditions. And its grain is rather large, if you have enough light use 200T instead.

500T is its uses for sure, under low lighting conditions especially, but not in good lighting conditions unless it happens to be the only stock you can get your hands on.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Freya

Post by Freya »

yeah Angus is right, 500T is the film of the night! Not really good for shooting in the sunlight! :)

love

Freya
Mogzy

Post by Mogzy »

Don't forget 200T ain't notched for daylight. Remove a small piece of plastic from the lower part of the cartridge (see other threads) to ensure correct filtered exposure in daylight using the cameras inbuilt filter.
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

Mogzy wrote:Don't forget 200T ain't notched for daylight. Remove a small piece of plastic from the lower part of the cartridge (see other threads) to ensure correct filtered exposure in daylight using the cameras inbuilt filter.
WHAT?????????????????????????

sorry, but u want me to snap off a peice of the cartridge? which bit., now im really confused. :cry:
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

S8 Booster wrote:here is what you need to do to make the cam read the cart as 160/100:

this is where the filter notch is located - open it and the cam is allowed to read it as either 160 for tungetsen (when the built in 85 filter is disabled) or 100 with the filter in place for daylight shoot.

Click images for biger size:

how to mod and why:

s8hôôt
s8hôôt
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
Angus

Post by Angus »

Is it all that important to use a daylight filter?

Since all negative film will either be telecinied and colour correction can be applied....or printed onto a projectable film where once again the colour can be corrected.......does it really matter?

eg...I'm pretty sure the filter was absent when I exposed some 200T under sunlight, and the print from Andec looks pretty natural.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

oK now im crying scared and basicly dont know what to do... some of you are saying i should Reverse engineer the Plastic cartons which sounds scary and dangeours, some people are saying i could tweak out the footage in final cut pro? whats the reality of the situation?

Anyone used magic bullet on super 8?

:cry: :cry: :?
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

Naw its really easy - just remove a bit of plastic from the part of the cartridge which corresponds to the filter notch as per s8boosters pictures - it doesnt have to be accurate to the millimeter - just big enough to make sure the filter sensor button in the film chamber of the camera is not engaged. Takes about 10 seconds with a pair of pliers for a rough and ready notch (just make sure there are no loose bits of plastic hanging off it), bit longer if you want to be finicky & neat (use a small hacksaw blade). Then make sure your Nizo is set to daylight...
Last edited by Taqi on Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
what what
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Maybe you should try to get yours hands on some Ektachrome 64 colour reversal film instead of shooting costly negative. Going to the forest with a girlfriend seems like a spontaneous event so it may not be the best oppurtunity to learn to shoot negative. If you choose the E64, you still have to use the daylight filter!
Taqi

Post by Taqi »

I assume the filter notch is already on the 64T cartridge? (Haven't used any yet)...
what what
PHILIE-T

Post by PHILIE-T »

i got the negative Stock really Cheap.. Well it's £7.25 each. Is that cheap? widescreen centre charge 15 quid!!! incredible....um, what do u reckon, is it hard to film with? i was just going to film my girlfriend being silly in the forrest really and then go to .todd-ao and have them process and telecine it for £40 quid. is £40 a lot of money?
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

PHILIE-T wrote:oK now im crying scared and basicly dont know what to do... some of you are saying i should Reverse engineer the Plastic cartons which sounds scary and dangeours, some people are saying i could tweak out the footage in final cut pro? whats the reality of the situation?

If you want to keep things simple and correct. stop at the camera shop and pick up an 85 filter and screw it onto the front of the lens. your exposure and color temp will be fine.
100D and Vision 3 please
Mitch Perkins

Post by Mitch Perkins »

T-Scan wrote:
PHILIE-T wrote:oK now im crying scared and basicly dont know what to do... some of you are saying i should Reverse engineer the Plastic cartons which sounds scary and dangeours, some people are saying i could tweak out the footage in final cut pro? whats the reality of the situation?

If you want to keep things simple and correct. stop at the camera shop and pick up an 85 filter and screw it onto the front of the lens. your exposure and color temp will be fine.
Even simpler, just go out and shoot - most of the shooters I work with treat the S8 negs like an afterthought, because MiniDV is the main capture format for them. Still, I'm able to pull really gorgeous images out of the 200T in telecine, and I ain't Todd AO. It's not me; it's the stock.
That said, the 85 filter wouldn't hurt. Also, 40 quid does seem a bit steep; maybe get someone on the board here to xfer. Not me; I'm far, far away, eh?

mitch